La Scala II + ALK?

discodoc

19 minutes ago, discodoc said:

I've read that the La Scala IIs have an improved crossover network when compared to the original design. That being the case, does any one know if the ALK Extreme Slope kit would still be a worthwhile upgrade?

That depends who builds them and what components are used 

I have used ( not the extreme slope ) ALK built units and was not impressed 

The design is fine but the implementation must be right 

That being said I built my own and tweaked the design a little and now I’m happy as a pig in mud ( musically speaking ) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, discodoc said:

I've read that the La Scala IIs have an improved crossover network when compared to the original design. That being the case, does any one know if the ALK Extreme Slope kit would still be a worthwhile upgrade?

Hi doc, I have the la scala ll with the ES 500 & the 5700. That being said, there is definitely a major improvement in the low end.

I also have the Altec 511 w/902t driver that blows away the 400 horn. Just switched the tweeter to Dave's LMAHL & B&C 120 driver.

I'M DONE!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KROCK said:

Hi doc, I have the la scala ll with the ES 500 & the 5700. That being said, there is definitely a major improvement in the low end.

I also have the Altec 511 w/902t driver that blows away the 400 horn. Just switched the tweeter to Dave's LMAHL & B&C 120 driver.

I'M DONE!

Interesting. This sounds like the ultimate La Scala. Since you said "I'm done!" is it safe to say you agree or is there more to do?

Edited by discodoc

6 hours ago, KROCK said:

I'M DONE!

How do you cross a 902 at 500Hz?

I realise you are using the extreme slope crossovers, but that 902 will not deliver it's best regardless of crossover slope, at 500Hz.

5 hours ago, discodoc said:

Interesting. This sounds like the ultimate La Scala. Since you said "I'm done!" is it safe to say you agree or is there more to do?

There's always more to do. LOL. I think I found the balance to my liking. Speaker placement, wiring, tubes, they all come into effect.

It's always at a point where you like the sound of the change. NO? 

4 hours ago, sootshe said:

How do you cross a 902 at 500Hz?

I realise you are using the extreme slope crossovers, but that 902 will not deliver it's best regardless of crossover slope, at 500Hz.

Maybe so, but they do so well with the 511 horn.

http://greatplainsaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/902series-1.pdf

5 hours ago, discodoc said:

You can always slap a K402 on top and go 2-way with active crossover....but that would short circuit the logic of spending the extra bucks on the ES crossover.

Disclosure:  I have a pair of old LaScalas with ALK ES crossovers in them, otherwise bone stock.  The ONLY reason I don't slap 402's on top of them is physical space....otherwise, it would have been done and they'd be active 2-way.

1 hour ago, KROCK said:

I use this driver from Great Plains 

Because the La Scala bass driver takes over the lower register duties 

http://greatplainsaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/399series.pdf

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KROCK said:

You mention improvement in the low end; do these increase the low frequency output?

I don't have a lot of space for a sub, so if low end output could be increased with a new network that would be great.

9 minutes ago, discodoc said:

You mention improvement in the low end; do these increase the low frequency output?

I don't have a lot of space for a sub, so if low end output could be increased with a new network that would be great.

Since the new networks, I haven't had the desire for a sub/subs.

It's just a shame that you have to wait soooo long to get your networks

Order soon, the cold slows down production!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, discodoc said:

Thanks all.

Can anyone point me toward a how to or FAQ for the Altec 811 -> La Scala (ideally La Scala II) horn swap? I need to decide whether or not I'm going to move to 811s before ordering the crossover network so I'm trying to understand how big of a deal it is.

I'm hearing that most people just put them on top of their existing cabinets which makes sense.

It kinda feels like I just bought a very expensive bass bin if the K400 is so bad and the tweeters DaveA produces are so much better.

• Like 1

I have LS II with DaveA’s latest horn and DE-120. This is awesome. 

I THINK the K400 and Driver are fine. The bass bin too. But due to length of the folded horn the horn can only load the driver so low. The change in expansion rate buys some but the bass response  is falling hard by 60 Hz.

My thoughts are add a sub. Either a horn (huge) or sealed box (inefficient) to match easier. 

I have relistened numerous times to the LS II full range and then crossed at 60 Hz to several subs. It is no comparison. When you feel and hear the sub kick from time to time there is no going back to full range. 

I think subwoofer selection is not difficult. But no 30 - 40 pound weenies. Get a crunching bruiser. The cheap lightweight subs are famous for one note bass. 

The crossovers in the LS II are a big step up from the older models. There was a change in the LS II crossover to bring the level of the K400 down a few dB. Happened prior to the 70th Anniversary model run. Might be all an older one may need. Never heard of a factory retrofit though.