OK! You win already.

BEC

I spend a lot of time lurking on this forum and I just have to find out what all this "tube" talk is about. I swore off tubes back in the late 60's with all the zeal of a recent 12-step program graduate. I had been surrounded for years by Air Force tube transmitters, receivers, audio amps, and such which greeted me every morning wanting at least 10 new tubes a few caps and perhaps a couple of resistors. I then went to a new assignment where almost everything was solid state and found that the stuff continued to meet specs and almost never broke. Yes I know that the tube stuff was old and that the solid state stuff was new at that time but I don't think that I replaced more than a good double handfull of components in the next 6 years on the solid state gear.

Anyway, having said all that, today I purchased a Scott 222B of rather unknown operational ability on Ebay. If I doesn't work I figure I can fix it since I used to make a meager living on Air Force wages repairing similar beasts. I would, however, like to have a manual on this amp with a schematic. Can anyone on the forum help me with finding one? Downloadable version would be nice.

After I get it and it is working right, I will give it a listen on my Heresy 2s, Forte 1s, Chorus 1s, Cornwalls, and LaScallas. I currently listen to these on solid state by Sony, Marantz and (unique and a favorite) Electrovoice receivers.

Hi,

Welcome to the wonderful world of tubes. You will not find yourself maintaining the amp near as much as the Air Force gear. I mess around with my audio tube gear mostly because I want to, not because I need to. I spend time in the Navy 30 years ago with tube gear from WWII and it also needed constant attention.

With that said tube gear is like a fine Red Cabernet. Spend a Weekend listening to SS amp and the tube amp, then you will know.

Sorry, I can't help you with the schematic! 1.gif

NOS440 works on Scott amplifiers, try a search here.

There is a Photofact on ePay right now with a reasonable Buy It Now. They have good parts layouts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1940718461

For discussions, have you checked the vintage Scott website?

http://www.hhscott.com/

Also, the Audio Asylum,

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/vintage/bbs.html

Good luck with it. Please post your progress here.

The manual won't be worth the search and a factory schematic is a no go. I've been trying to find one for ages they all seemed to disapeer. But I have the entire sams photo facts for it. I can email it to you page by page a few a day if you like. Send me your email addy to craigostby@comcast.net we can also converse on parts to use. I have some great caps for that baby and resistors. maybe a phone call or 2 may be in order also. I can rebuild them babies in my sleep so I may give you some short cuts.

Craig

Justin is a tough nut to figure. I dont know why he posts these things in like this either. Lordy, I try to format every shot that goes on this board SPECIFICALLY for this board. In the old days, it meant matching the twin color backgrounds and making sure it looked right. When a computer/graphic newbie posts something like that, it's understandable. When someone that has his own website does it, I dont get it. But ole Justin has helped many on the Klipsch Pro Media forums... just dont know why he wouldnt post a link to that beast on his site.

Still, it was nice of you to post it... Just put the extra time in, freak! heh... Man, if I can do it, you surely can.

kh

ie Right click below - Save target as:

http://hhscott.com/pdf/fs/222B-C1.JPG'>scott_222b.jpg

BEC, which Marantz do you have? I would be curious how the SS Marantz compare to tubes. It's been years since I owned a Marantz(model 22), and it was before I had my Klipschhorns. Let us know when you get that baby going! Incidentally, the Scott forum mentioned above is a great source for Scottie owners!

Andy,

The Marantz I have is an MR 255. Probably not near the best of the Marantz offerings but sounds nice and looks great. I hoped someone would comment on the Elecrtovoice Receivers I have. I have two of them, an EV1179 and EV1180. They are almost the same except the EV1180 has a Mag phono input which the EV1179 does not have. These are the only Electrovoice Receivers I have ever seen and I can't find out any information on them. They seem to be late 60's solid state technology. The way the outputs are fused, I would guess the power output to be around 15 WPC.

I really like the sound of the two EV's. They are so clean, clear and open sounding (much different from the other solid state amps I have) that I wonder if they may be closer to the "tube" sound that many forum members talk about. I am really interested in seeing how the Scott 222B compares to them.

Bob

there. i am on my G4 cause I am at the river oaks house. it is a beyotch to work with, no graphics programs on it, funky keyboard, round mouse which is IMPOSSIBLE to tell what direction is forward without experimentation and whatnot. i could have put resolution restrictions but it is such a pain with the computer to do stuff. and the picture was not really big on the studio monitor set at such a high resolution, so it is not really easy for me to guage things. this is a 16:9 screen, at the other house i have 22" MITS monitors and at the studio DUAL 22" monitors, really hard for me to format things for other people. sorry. not easy to do html and whatnot. lucky i went as far as to find it with this computer.

Kelly... i just cannot make you happy... ever. No matter what I do you find fault in it. Sometimes I just want to give up!