Anyone install spikes on their Cornwalls?

merkinman

I'm thinking about drilling in some threaded inserts for spikes on my CWIVs.  With other speakers I've had decoupling the speakers really helped clean up the bass and improve the imaging.  Anyone try this?  I think the base is particle board...a little worried about it splitting.

• Like 2

`Mornin,

Something about a hollow space below speakers I have never felt comfortable with except small factory risers. After having Heresy for almost three decades, I tried something prior to getting new speakers. This actually did what you talk about improving the bass for them, it was immediately noticeable. Recognized their name from the Pyle-Driver speakers I had in an old car that were great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SVRLR06/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

They don't stand out because they are dark, there is no movement between the item and anything else due to gravity.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KROCK said:

@JohnJ That's an isolation platform, I think the O P want's to decouple not absorb the base from his CW. 

Hey @KROCK

Cool. I mentioned it because they did what the title said he was looking for. It literally refreshed the 25 plus year old Heresy that I had then. The bass was more articulate and deeper to me and they had been in that location for four years at the time!

• Like 1

I installed spikes on my kg sw subwoofer. The factory feet were missing so holes were already present. I bought my spikes from Meniscus Audio and was referred to them by Klipsch, when I e-mailed asking if I could get replacement feet for my subwoofer. I followed the directions for drilling the proper pilot hole size, then threaded in the female inserts using an allen wrench, I believe.

I'd recommend you buy a plain board, cut it to size, and install the spikes on it, rather than the speakers themselves.  Mount the speakers on the spiked board and test to see if they make the difference you're looking for. If you're satisfied, THEN install the spikes on the Cornwalls.

Feet - 1.jpg

Feet - 2.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, merkinman said:

What are the chances the MDF will split if I try to drill/screw in the threaded inserts?

close to 100%  ,  you would have to clamp the sides with a handscrew, and make a pilot hole --  easy does it -

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KROCK said:

@JohnJ ,we all know or get to know every system is different. What works for me , might not work for you. There's a lot of factors to consider. Do you agree?  

Yes, and I hope my reply did not sound argumentative. Didn't mean for it to be.

The OP's Cornwall IVs are leaps and bounds ahead of those Heresy IIs I was talking about and they were on hardwood with a lot less deep digging into bass territory! 

Environment is a big factor for all audio endeavors! 

• Like 1