"EQ " ????

Dale W

In todays world of digital gear there seems to be little room for shaping sound, my processor has a tiny bass and treble control that don't seem to do a whole lot.

I was kicking around the idea of a EQ but there seems to be a lot of cheap garbage ones on the market. The olny decent thing i've found so far is a audio control "DIVA" but there large bucks.

Anyone else running a brand name they could suggest ??

or one they don't like ?

DBX use to make a killer eq but i don't think they still produce it.

A very high quality and high price digital EQ is available from a company called Z Systems. Stereophile ran a review about a year ago. It may be on the Stereophile web site in the review archives.

dbx is still around but no longer under the ospices of BSR (thank god). Just go to www.dbxpro.com and they'll have about a dozen or so. I'm using a 1231 with only a little boost in the low end, too much boost in the mid to high end can start clipping the amp and toasting tweeters. I've also heard good things about White. They make a nice mono eq (of course you'll need two).

I got an old ADR unit off eBay last year for 30 bucks. I set the sliders at only half of the gain required to even out the sound on my Cornwalls. In other words, if a bounce at 50Hz is 6dB too high, I cut back only 3dB. This smoothes out the overall frequency response without making drastic changes in one frequency or another. Set back in the corner, the Khorns measure smooth enough that I dont need it anymore.

Thanx for the imput guys. I think i'm leaning towards the DBX 3231L .

Still looking into other models also.

AUDIOREALITY: have you ever played around with a series III

phase coupled activator from audio control ?? I'm running 2 of them, one front one rear. They can make you some serious "BASS " . Turning up the gain control for the one feeding the k-horn is scary to say the least. Almost sounds like the cabinets going to fly apart.

They make the bass so tight that it sounds like a hammer hitting the cabinet. You have to be carefull with these bass restoration units as i know a couple of guys that have blown drivers and amps while running one. Audio control no longer produces this line any more and i got the last one in western canada out of there warehouse in vancouver.

Whhen my interest in quality audio revived back in the '80"s, the I thought a graphic equalizer would be just the thing for my hi-fi. When I visited an audio store (an early version of Tweeter, I think), a very sensible salesman (which you don't run into too often in chain stores) said don't waste your money - put it instead into better components and wire. I don't believe you don't really need EQ, especially with Cornwalls. Experimenting with speaker placement in the room or room acoustic treatments are likely to be more effective - and cheaper - than another component in the sound path. There was a good thread here a few weeks on the use or non-use of bass & treble controls. The consensus was not to use them.

The DBX Equalizer that you want is the older DBX consumer groups 14/10 Computer Equalizer/Analyzer an amazing unit to say the least. It can measure line voltage or SPL in real time with a visual numeric scale, provides 14 bands per channel of equalization with "constant Q" can RTA any point in a room in 15 seconds, geneates its own pink noise signal, gives you 10 memory banks to store your measurements in for instant recall, they can even be averaged if desired. RTA display can be set for slow or fast readout, the list of capabilities goes on and on. While these units are no longer in production since the demise of the DBX consumer group they can be had. Rest assured these units are superior in quality to any that DBX Pro is producing today. In fact I know of an individual looking to part with one mint condition in the original double box packing it came with, user instruction manual, and the calibrated mic and mic holder. These units do not go cheap though. The original selling price of the unit was $1300, I believe the guy that has this one is looking to get $800 for it. He even has the super rare DBX 5BX-DS 5-Band Computer Controlled Dynamic Range Controller for sale as well a truly amazing component.

Dale,

I run a Harman Kardon EQ-8 to match my Harman Kardon AVR 7000. It works wonderfully for the La Scalas. I don't run it with HT though, simply bypass it. When I use the room for music I run it, and it is great to fine tune the sound that you enjoy. It's a bit af a pain in the a$$ sometimes, because different music needs different settings, and I find myself tweeking it for different songs.

Sean

Frzninvt

The dbx pro units are far superior to the older consumer units in terms of quality and much lower background noise!!!

If you are looking for a great eq that is extremely quiet I would recommend the RAne ME60. It is a dual channel 31 band eq that is extremely quiet. It does it's job and does not add any noise to the signal

Russ