How important is clean power?

MeloManiac

I found one of these at the Sally Ann for $25 many years ago. 

Haven’t used it yet for audio, but a desk light worked when I got home and tested it. I figured the scrap value would be in the hundreds in any case.

I’m thinking it might be the bomb. Ugly as sin but I could prop some vinyl on it...

Any ideas?

DD67A145-BE07-4B6A-A486-22989AE89827.jpeg

On 12/19/2020 at 5:34 PM, ILI_MeloManiac said:

I've read some user reviews saying that esp on good recordings, the Power X adds noticibly more 'blackness' when spinning vinyl, but also when using with a DAC. Some say that using this power unit on their router, improves the sound quality of streamed music. This last thing makes me a bit suspicious. Is it perhaps 'placebo' and snake oil?

Being technically challenged, I wonder what you think of this Power X...

Any time this is the claim of improvement " Blacker Background" Take that with a huge grain of salt................................You will literally see hundreds of the exact same claim. Ask them to explain that ?

• Like 1

I use a Furman P-1800 PFR for my Bryston B135, It does make a difference , sounds better than plugged into the wall and adds some peace of mind when  I'm not at home as far as surges go. I like to leave my equipment on 24/7. Everything else is plugged into Furman PL-Plus. The Power Factor system in the Furman P-1800 PFR does not seem to restrict the amp at all .

On 12/23/2020 at 5:44 PM, geoff. said:

I found one of these at the Sally Ann for $25 many years ago. 

Haven’t used it yet for audio, but a desk light worked when I got home and tested it. I figured the scrap value would be in the hundreds in any case.

I’m thinking it might be the bomb. Ugly as sin but I could prop some vinyl on it...

Any ideas?

Post a photo with the cover off

probably a large transformer inside

On 12/24/2020 at 12:55 AM, joessportster said:

Any time this is the claim of improvement " Blacker Background" Take that with a huge grain of salt................................You will literally see hundreds of the exact same claim. Ask them to explain that ?

I can tell you what it means because I experience it myself with my gear and in my music room.

The black background means that the acoustic stage builds up in high resolution with a shiny silky golden timbre melting on a raven black bass foundation, i.e. from the upper bass down to the sub-bass, with the same nominal sound pressure in the room, as the sound spectrum from the lower mid-range up to high brilliance. The available room volume of the music room (i.e. the air) is precisely converted by the sonic transducers into air mass movement. The air masses are controlled precisely.

The room becomes a gigantic stage where the bass foundation is controlled by the sonic transducers without resonance or modes and with the highest precision.  This creates unlimited acoustic spaces in the depth as well as in the width of the room. The representation of the singers and the instruments is so physically large that the musical presentation can be equated to a visible live performance.It is perfect when the musical performance carries you away emotionally so that you can feel the beauty of the music in your soul.It is absolutely perfect when you achieve this linear sound art without the help of EQ settings or room adjustment software as well as their corrections. 

This is where the wheat is separated from the chaff: many have loudspeakers, few have sonic transducers.   

• Like 1