Movies That Changed Us

Colin

saving private ryan is a great choice for #1.

when i first saw it, i was 20 and just sat in my room afterwards in disbelief. i couldn't (and still can't) imagine going through a war. band of brothers (and the related documentary about Easy Company shown on Veterans Day) did the same thing for me.

two movies that i cant help but smile at the end of are the shawshank redemption and amelie. you wont find too many scenes more powerful than andy dufrane basking in his freedom after escaping from shawshank. i get goosebumps. and for amelie, its just a 'warm fuzzy' of a movie.

Although "American Graffiti" and "More American Graffiti" didn't change my outlook on things, it did, however, reinforce all my experiences I had from 1976 to 1985. We even call our old neighborhood the "Fatherland". God I miss that era and those people.15.gif

"Sand Lot" would probably rank up there too.

"Good Will Hunting" is probably the most memorable movie for me, I've seen plenty of better movies but I could relate and the plot just made much sence to me and loved the ending where he drives off to california. must have watched the DVD 10 times within last two years. coming from a family of asian values, loosely at that, I felt pressured into taking a certain road in life, career, and general philosophy of principles. at some point I just thought f*** this. just can't believe how far I've come and I feel fine. After watching "Good Will Hunting", I felt ensured in the way of life I was heading, and now leading. it seemed life just might have more to offer than what I've thought it would.

I don't know about changed me, but I know a few (some may have already been mentioned) that have given me the chills, a warm fuzzy feeling, or something to ponder:

Rudy

Shawshank Redemption

Star Wars (All 3, not the new ones for some reason)

Good Will Hunting

Hoosiers

Boys Don't Cry

Backdraft

Glory

I've never seen Amelie though. I'll have to check it out.

I agree with Ahbee78 about Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. My dad was a WWII veteran and his brother died fighting it somewhere in France in September 1944. They were part of a generation that truly did save the world. Now it's the job of a new generation to do the same. They already have my profound respect.

Personally, one of the most dramatic movies for me was seeing Apocalypse Now in the movies theater while I was still near draft age (though I am Canadian, every time there is a war, a rumor will circulate that non-resident Canadians may be called up first). This movie really touched my heart with the horror of the human waste of war. About the same time I saw an Academy Award winning documentary which showed how similar humans were to primates. Including mating and birthing. I do not know now the name, but this movie profoundly influenced my view of basic human instincts and primeval needs.

Socially, I think that one of the most important movies of all time will be Schindlers List. Director Steven Spielberg. In 1994, after filming Schindlers List, Spielberg established Survivors of the Shoah Visual History Foundation to videotape and preserve the testimonies of Holocaust survivors and witnesses. Today, the Shoah Foundation has collected more than 50,000 eyewitness testimonies in 57 countries and 32 languages. Plus, he circulates the powerful story of the Nazi Holocaust to schools throughout the country. Since one can not see this compelling tale of tragedy and human spirit without being touched, I believe that in the long run, this will prove to be one of the most important movies of our time.

16.gif

As a young boy growing up in Kansas "In Cold Blood" was haunting. I remember hearing stories of less violent break-ins in my town (JC which is the basis of the Martin Schene film "Ninth Street") and always feared someone entering my room at night.

Midnight Express reminds me to be on my best behavior when I'm out of the country and careful that my bags aren't tainted.

The James Bond 007 movies defined cool and exotic adventure.

The Deer Hunter was one of the war movies that had an impact

• 2 weeks later...

Xmas lunch today, it seemed as though war movies (mostly men) had the most profound affect, whilst Saving Pribate Ryan was the clear front runner,

movies like Gallipoli with Mel Gibson and Breaker Morant had large poltical impacts in Australia, but not here

Star Wars really made me love movies, but I am not sure that this counts as a profound impact

As a child the "King of King" really made brought the story of Jesus Christ real and believable

As a teen, "2001, A Space Odessey" made the future look live and possible (today I use a web cam for free long distance and face to face phone calls)

Xmas lunch today, it seemed as though war movies (mostly men) had the most profound affect, whilst Saving Private Ryan was the clear front runner,

movies like Gallipoli with Mel Gibson and Breaker Morant had large poltical impacts in Australia, but not here

Star Wars really made me love movies, but I am not sure that this counts as a profound impact

As a child, the "King of Kings" really made brought the story of Jesus Christ real and believable

As a teen, "2001, A Space Odessey" made the future look live and possible (today I use a web cam for free long distance and face to face phone calls)