Ack! I am in trouble.

m00n

I have been working on my theater this weekend. Took my wife out to show here this evening what I had been up to. I told her how I was planning on framing up this big opening into my room and putting a door there. She storms back into the house. I could tell there was something write... Being tenacious as I am, I finally got it out of her what was wrong.... Guess she had purchased some material to make something nice for that opening. She had it all planned out and I completely ruinded her Christmas present from her to me.

Talk about feeling like a turd. But at the same time, I know I had told her in the past I was going to frame it in. It kinda sucks all the way around because I have been trying to get her really into helping with the design, decore and what not of the theater... First time she really makes an effort she gets her feelings hurt and wastes a bunch of money.15.gif

Well, you did tell her about the door. Bless her heart -- but she should have paid closer attention.

Why don't you let her see what she has in mind. Women have this uncanny ability to factor in abstract variables. Hell, you might end up liking it better than the door. If is doesn't work out -- you can always put the door in later.

How big is the opening? Can you make an archway out of it?

Moon...all is NOT lost...just remind her that her door "treatment" is a perfect idea...not only for decorative purposes, but also because that doorway will need something there covering the door you intend to install in order to cut down soundwave reflections and give a better listening experience!! Helpful, ain't I???9.gif

Builder

Nice try - Moon is dead meat and you know it.

Moon

Seeing as how celibacy is the order of the day I can get you a deal on a Monk suit !

I tripped over the same deal twice in the last couple of weeks:

1.) I bought Diana Krall Live in Paris SWMB: (Glaring) - There went that idea!

2.) I bought a new toolbox see # 1 above !

prodj101 Ya, I dunno... I have no idea what I am going to do. I offered to give her back the money she spent on it, but she refused and said no, that is your present.

Dean, it's about 6.5 X 6.5. I really need to close it in for sound proofing purposes. If that was not a factor, then I would not worry about it. But I am spending all this time, money and and energy on sound proofing this room and leaving a big gaping hole would really defeat the purpose of what I am doing. I wish I didn't need to close it in as it would make for a nice entryway.4.gif

HDBRbuilder I think I was lucky in once sence. She had only purchased some blackout material. But I think what hurt her was that I this was material for a larger idea she had. She had said in the past she wanted to make some drapes for my room. I may be making assumptions here but she may have been planning on making some nice drapes for that opening and lining the inside with the blackout material.

lynnm Thanks man, your all heart.

I don't care if she even bothers at this point to get me anything else for Christmas, what I care about is that I shattered her very thoughtfull gift idea she was making for my theater. Makes you feel like a real jackass when she is in tears telling you that you have just ruined her Christmas. I guess she was very excited about this... 15.gif

Moon...6.5 x 6.5....hmmm...install panel to each side, with 36" wide door in center. Let her make the draped dressing for that entire opening...with it mounted to the INSIDE of the room...comprised of THREE layers....layer towards room interior is color, layer in middle is thin foam(insulation), layer towards door is black-out cloth...be sure to include her in a discusssion about this...telling her how great her idea was and IS...and how it will let you be able to use a regular door there, with sound insulation provided by the drapes...and if you have to bring stuff like popcorn and such to theater room, you can leave door open and it still won't make any light or sonic difference!...because the drapery provides light blocking AND sound insulation!!...which is the TRUTH, ANYWAY!! The door won't REALLY be needed for anything but security and privacy...think about it....hell...you could even use that wide of a space to have TWO 19"-wide pocket doors sliding into pockets you build to either side within that opening!! With her insulated/light-blocking curtain treatment you can leave them open whenever you want!! And she can do a treatment for the other side of the opening, too, if she wants, but it will NOT need the middle insulation layer!! Trying to help you out here!!

Jim, between your idea and Builder's idea, you guys may be onto something. I really would like to keep that wide opening yet at the same time be able to close it off to keep the sound in the room.

Your guy's ideas just might work. Hmmm let me ponder this idea for a day or two... I'll get back to ya'll on this.

Been there done that !! know how you feel.

I'm begining to dislike the xmas thing as far as suprises go. Now i let the wife in on my plans well in advance as not to get PMS'd on, or create the river of tears.

you know her best so figure a way to fix this long in advance of the 25th. maybe theres something else you can use her imput on ??? Good luck moon.