Weird Listening Habits

justin_tx_16

I am laying in bed right now listening to my Heresy's belt out Sheila Nicholls powered by my HK430. Oh yeah, at the same time I have my Sennheiser HD600 headphones on.

I nearly always listen to my music with my headphones and speakers going. I have NEVER had sound that was better than that combination. NEVER.

So what is YOUR weird/wacky/scary listening habit?

Well right now I've been listening in 5 channel stereo mode.

I currently have my JBL's hooked up as my mains, the heresies as surrounds and my KSC-C1 as center(duh).

The only thing odd about this is that I have all speakers in front of my couch.

The JBL's which despite having only an 8" woofer hit considerably lower than the heresies, are upside down on top of the heresies.

At first I had the JBL's the right way up but having the two sets of tweeters that far apart made the soundstage seem rather vague.

Listening this way gives me the bass of the JBL's and the midrange presence and high end accuracy of the Klipsch.

I guess my next step is to eventually get a nice sub that would go well with the heresies so I can use them as my mains.

btw, Justin How much sound do your headphones block out?

Peace, Josh

Way back when i was just a young lad. lol

my gear consisted of pure radio rat trash, living with the folks provided very little volume late at night so to remidy that problem i would space my speakers two feet apart facing each other then tilt the tops together and cover the whole works with blankets. Then i would lay on the floor and slide my head and shoulders in between the speakers and blast away some edger winter ( frankenstien). followed by some pink floyd and various other drug induced tunes.

AH to be young again !!

Hows that justin ? freakish enough ?

Always play air guitar and pogo to the Clash, B-52s, Talking Heads and Elvis Costello.

Love that early 80s new wave stuff.

There are some pasionate moments when the Phillips CD radio on my nightstand sounds better than my Chorus IIs. GGRRRRR!

It is silly how many hours a month I listen to that Phillips and still enjoy it.

Justin,

The advantage of having the speakers on while you are listening through headphones is that the lower bass frequencies that your ears' tympanic membranes don't pick-up well, are projected by the speakers and get carried through your body's mass(bone/muscle tissue/liquids/internal organs) to your middle ears' cochlea where they DO get picked up, thereby providing a better listening experience.

Human ears(the part that sticks out like a horn lens, the ear canal, and the tympanic membrane, or eardrum) are designed to pick-up primarily the low treble/upper midrange through the lower mid-bass frequencies, everything lower in frequency is picked up by the body's mass and transferred to the cochlea since the tympanic membranes are limitied in their ability to pick-up those signals. That is one of the reasons why there really is no need for TWO subs in a STEREO array, since it is not actually your eardrums hearing those signals, just your more-or-less MONAURAL body mass picking them up! Your own sense of "touch" plays heavily in this low-end frequency pick-up, too...that is why deaf people can dance to music if the bass is pronounced enough...it isn't their ears that really hear it, it is their bodies that FEEL it!