Finished My "Cornscala" Project

TubesGlo

21 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Ok, I’m think I understand you now. A slotted horn has more air pressure or resistance causing more electrical resistance(ohm) in the driver?

I don’t know that for sure. I’m real limited in that area. It’s just something DJK said to me and noticing patterns in spec sheets. Now, our first big clue is with the driver and horn we are all most familiar with. The PD5-VH is 110dB, but 107dB on the K-400.

7 minutes ago, Deang said:

I don’t know that for sure. I’m real limited in that area. It’s just something DJK said to me and noticing patterns in spec sheets. Now, our first big clue is with the driver and horn we are all most familiar with. The PD5-VH is 110dB, but 107dB on the K-400.

Ok, I’m gonna just that spec on my horn.  Do you know if anyone is making the mumps horn used in the new CW 4 or something close.  I would really like the build another set using those horns.

4 hours ago, mopardave said:

Their both 90x40 elephant butt cheek design

I would only call the JBL 2365 a BC design... as shown in the pic below. It's a bi-radial constant coverage horn. I have a pair of them. Claude used some a long time ago.

jbl_2365.jpg

40 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Ok, I’m gonna just that spec on my horn.  Do you know if anyone is making the mumps horn used in the new CW 4 or something close.  I would really like the build another set using those horns.

Another spec I found different between HL4750(ZXPC11x17.5) and the JBL M2380 is the length difference. The M2380 is 4.5” shorter than the HL4750.   Would that create lower frequencies with the 4750, the longer horn or allow it to go lower?

On 12/10/2021 at 9:25 PM, geoff. said:

@mopardave, your findings are correct and @TubesGlo is bang on. It’s considered nearfield listening. And the bass seems to just hit right in addition to the imaging.

I think it’s called the “golden ratio”, an equilateral triangle with the speakers and your listening position. The walls are also part of the equation.

The further your room, or significant other, allows you to put the speakers out into the room, away from the walls, up to a point, the deeper the soundstage will go as well the improvement in imaging.

I call it the “air chair” and smile when I see my kids gravitate towards it when their favourite tunes are playing.

You are absolutely correct. I pulled the cabinets out from the back wall 2' and the sound stage has improved. The drum set is now moved to the rear wall as it should.  Sounds more enjoyable for sure.  They are still 9' apart and i moved back further away from the cabinets as well about 13-14'.  Sounds great anywhere in between 10' to 14'.    Thanks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mopardave said:

You are absolutely correct. I pulled the cabinets out from the back wall 2' and the sound stage has improved. The drum set is now moved to the rear wall as it should.  Sounds more enjoyable for sure.  They are still 9' apart and i moved back further away from the cabinets as well about 13-14'.  Sounds great anywhere in between 10' to 14'.    Thanks

Do you have them toed in?