Finished My "Cornscala" Project

TubesGlo

20211210_165306_copy_3225x1575.thumb.jpg.b830f08707fe6c4e4095e3caff167554.jpg

6 hours ago, mopardave said:

Very nice.  What have you found for the best placement and distance from the speakers?   I currently have mine at about 7 feet apart and sit 12 feet back, but it seems the closer i sit to them the better it feels/sounds.   

I've tried everything and ended up with them close to the outside walls toed in so they cross a couple feet in font of me. They're 10' apart on center and I'm 10' from each speaker. So far this sounds the best.

• Like 1

@mopardave, your findings are correct and @TubesGlo is bang on. It’s considered nearfield listening. And the bass seems to just hit right in addition to the imaging.

I think it’s called the “golden ratio”, an equilateral triangle with the speakers and your listening position. The walls are also part of the equation.

The further your room, or significant other, allows you to put the speakers out into the room, away from the walls, up to a point, the deeper the soundstage will go as well the improvement in imaging.

I call it the “air chair” and smile when I see my kids gravitate towards it when their favourite tunes are playing.

TIP: Did you try adjusting the crossover output for the mid driver:
From Crites: "Remove the red string sleeving from the two red wires on the right side of this picture and connect those two wires together. Then, remove the connection indicated by the red arrow and plug it back into tap #2." 

Mid.jpeg

Edited by Wrench

On 12/10/2021 at 4:57 PM, TubesGlo said:

20211210_165306_copy_3225x1575.thumb.jpg.b830f08707fe6c4e4095e3caff167554.jpg

I've tried everything and ended up with them close to the outside walls toed in so they cross a couple feet in font of me. They're 10' apart on center and I'm 10' from each speaker. So far this sounds the best.

Ok, just remeasured and I’m actually at 8.5 center to center and 11 feet back.  I am close to the back wall, which if I pull them out 1 foot, that would give me the 10 listening distance.   I have the cross overs at 9 and -2 right now .  I just moved these into my 2nd home and need to spend some time with them.   1B0156CA-D68F-48E7-A077-6CAFC485A00C.jpeg.3bcd0552f743d6b420f302b277a46c0e.jpeg

A4BE3997-94B6-4A40-B2E6-306ABEEF479E.jpeg

D7B61161-AB5A-4138-BD1F-67B13F707948.jpeg

3C171305-93AC-42D5-A244-135067526DED.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 4:46 AM, Bobcatva said:

I love your Cornscala badge. Do you mind sharing where you purchased? I want some for mine.

This guy in Russia is making me some script 'Chorus II' and 'Forte II' badges.  He comes highly recommended but more pricey:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/grossbjorn/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Dave, I see you have a door to the left of one of your speakers, but if you can pull them out from the back wall as much as possible and get them in front of your stereo stand the imaging will improve significantly. It will go as deep as the empty space  between the speakers. 

Several forum members had suggested it to me over the years after seeing pictures of my setup, but I never took it to heart until by accident one day I sat down with the music playing after vacuuming behind my La Scalas BEFORE I moved them back and had an epiphany. It is that significant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mopardave said:

sent from my phone, not sure why it turns the pics, but you get the idea.

it's a very  biiiiiig room  , and  the closer you are to the speakers , the better they sound , is quite normal given the depth  of that room   .

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mopardave said:

Ok, just remeasured and I’m actually at 8.5 center to center and 11 feet back.  I am close to the back wall, which if I pull them out 1 foot, that would give me the 10 listening distance.   I have the cross overs at 9 and -2 right now .  I just moved these into my 2nd home and need to spend some time with them.   1B0156CA-D68F-48E7-A077-6CAFC485A00C.jpeg.3bcd0552f743d6b420f302b277a46c0e.jpeg

A4BE3997-94B6-4A40-B2E6-306ABEEF479E.jpeg

D7B61161-AB5A-4138-BD1F-67B13F707948.jpeg

3C171305-93AC-42D5-A244-135067526DED.jpeg

Nice! They stole your TV but left that sweet stereo system?

13 hours ago, Wrench said:
TIP: Did you try adjusting the crossover output for the mid driver:
From Crites: "Remove the red string sleeving from the two red wires on the right side of this picture and connect those two wires together. Then, remove the connection indicated by the red arrow and plug it back into tap #2." 

Mid.jpeg

That's how my crossovers were shipped. After a few months with them I found the mid horn a bit forward, out of balance with the other drivers.  I emailed Michael C. And he instructed me to move the lead on #1 tap to #2. Also the cap lead on the 0 tap should then be connected by joining the leads under the heat shrink tubing. This attenuates the mid horn by 3db which is how they designed them . They began shipping as shown in your pic to satisfy the requests of so many who wanted extra boost in the mid. To me it sounds right in my system after the change.

14 hours ago, Wrench said:

Have a listen to the speakers with a BLACK ICE GLASS FX TUBE DAC: https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/dac/black-ice-glass-fx-tube-dac-dsd-wi-fi-review/

🙃🙂🙃🙂  I listen to my set in my backyard for full effect.  I find that the speakers work well with the tube DAC.

I looked very closely at that DAC because of my experience with a Jolida tube CD player that I had and foolishly sold after building a music server and ripping all my CD's. I  Have a tube preamp and tube amp and I'm running Euphony Stylus with a Schiit Modius DAC and it's very ,very nice. I've been looking at multibit R2R lately and want to give it a try.

2 hours ago, TubesGlo said:

That's how my crossovers were shipped. After a few months with them I found the mid horn a bit forward, out of balance with the other drivers.  I emailed Michael C. And he instructed me to move the lead on #1 tap to #2. Also the cap lead on the 0 tap should then be connected by joining the leads under the heat shrink tubing. This attenuates the mid horn by 3db which is how they designed them . They began shipping as shown in your pic to satisfy the requests of so many who wanted extra boost in the mid. To me it sounds right in my system after the change.

The first sentence makes sense. This is the common complaint I get from folks who reach out to me. The next sentence doesn't make sense, because moving the midrange to Tap 2 would make the midrange louder. IOWs, I'm pretty sure they ship using Tap 2 (-9, using two 2.5uF caps in parallel), with an option to move to Tap 1 (-12dB, using a single 2.5uF). 

When I build them for people, I just use Tap 1. On that horn, the D405 is a 110dB driver. On Tap 2, it's at 101dB, which most will find too forward. I also go 12dB/octave on the de120.

1 hour ago, Deang said:

The first sentence makes sense. This is the common complaint I get from folks who reach out to me. The next sentence doesn't make sense, because moving the midrange to Tap 2 would make the midrange louder. IOWs, I'm pretty sure they ship using Tap 2 (-9, using two 2.5uF caps in parallel), with an option to move to Tap 1 (-12dB, using a single 2.5uF). 

When I build them for people, I just use Tap 1. On that horn, the D405 is a 110dB driver. On Tap 2, it's at 101dB, which most will find too forward. I also go 12dB/octave on the de120.

Please fill in the blanks:

D405 110dB

Tap 2 with one 2.5uF = 

Tap 2 with two 2.5uF parallel= 

Tap 1 with one 2.5uF = 

Tap 1 with two 2.5uF parallel= 

Thank you🙂.

Edited by Wrench

Tap 2 with one 2.5uF = -9dB (101dB)/1000Hz

Tap 2 with two 2.5uF parallel= -9dB (101dB)/500Hz

Tap 1 with one 2.5uF = -12dB (98dB)/500Hz

Tap 1 with two 2.5uF parallel= -12dB (98dB)/250Hz

To keep the crossover at "500Hz", you can either use Tap 2 with 5uF (two 2.5uF in parallel), or Tap 1 with a 2.5uF

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TubesGlo said:

Nice! They stole your TV but left that sweet stereo system?

HAHAHA!  Yeah, not a bad trade.   We just bought this house and getting things moved in.  Not sure why the other people had that tv so low.  This will be a listening room and a Theater room as well.    I moved the speakers out from the back wall about 1 foot and spread them out to 9 feet center to center and have about 1.5 feet from each wall. This room is in a basement as well.   Still more playing to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deang said:

Tap 2 with one 2.5uF = -9dB (101dB)/1000Hz

Tap 2 with two 2.5uF parallel= -9dB (101dB)/500Hz

Tap 1 with one 2.5uF = -12dB (98dB)/500Hz

Tap 1 with two 2.5uF parallel= -12dB (98dB)/250Hz

To keep the crossover at "500Hz", you can either use Tap 2 with 5uF (two 2.5uF in parallel), or Tap 1 with a 2.5uF

Don't mean to steal the post, but would like to ask Deang a question while he's on.  Do you think I have your cross over set up correctly with my components? DE120 108db, DE85 107db and a Kappa 3015LF 96db.    crossover is at 9 and -2, so looks like i'm playing the mid about 4db above the woofer.