Jean-Francois 6SN7 Line Stage photos

mobile homeless

Thanks Chris, I'll pass this on to Jean-Francois.

I fell asleep on the couch last night after a dangerous mix of red wine, thee Red Hook ESB, homemade black bean vegetable burrito, homemade salsa with fresh cilantro, and a rather lackluster Houston Rockets pro game with a droning Bill Walton babbling about Yao Ming... Horrifying nightmares ensued and I woke up at 3:30am with the same game being repeated propelling me into a virtual mental time warp which, in turn, brought about drooling and furtive glances left and right.

Gradually, I made my way to the computer in the back room to check mail before dragging to bed where I spied 10 shots from Jean-Francois of various components in his listening room... Next thing I know, I am wasting another hour fiddling with a few shots of his preamp, the result you see above. Suddenly, it's 5:30am.

Welcome Mr. Sunrise over ocean and a mewling cat at the glass door...

My eyes hurt.

kh

Beautiful indeed!!! I suppose his power amps are of similar workmanship, but what about their sound - any mouthwatering descriptions/comparisons to 'established' gear? Actually I shouldn't be asking considering my current financial status, but perhaps one day I can soley concentrate on software (just a dream I suppose LOL).

Wolfram

Dang, I think more than your eyes should hurt.

Speaking of MUTANTS, I've mentioned to Carrie a number of times that the quickest way to get all those Happy X-Ray Campers to machine gun blurt everything they know about Al Qaeda operations would be the following programs played directly into their cells, in rotation, 24/7:

Barney

TeleTubbies

The Wiggles

The Wiggles

and more Wiggles ...

Maybe we should add Journey and REO to that list?

What an idea ...

("Call Starkist!", Billy Blaze, "Night Shift")

GEZZZZZZ kelly, many more guy's get intrested in one of these theres going to be a long list.

hope i stay near the top. Will he build one with a singal imput ? I have no need for a expensive phono stage as you allready know. But even a toggle between inputs would leave space for future consideration so two inputs might be a good thing.

Here is the Plitron 300B Stereo SET. This is supposed to be a VERY musical amp according to Jean-Francois. I havent heard it yet but will be offering my impressions of his Parafeed 300B.

je_300b_720.jpg

Internal wiring of the above amp. Excellent parts - Symetrical layout with great attention

to detail. Extra attention paid to grounding and lowered noise floor with careful routing

of signal/voltage wires. Some tricks within that ole JF doesnt want me to focus on, too!

300b_inside1.jpg

kh

Man, I just received the first interior shots of his preamp. I saw it quickly this summer but this is the first I have seen of the wiring in detail. I am not going to beat around the bush. This is some of the BEST, most intricate, detailed, exceptional wiring I have EVER seen. I dont gush like this too often. Yes, he is a buddy of mine. But this is truly amazing. I wont load the bandwidth here but look for some pics later this eve. It is truly exceptional.

kh

Mobile, I have always been excited to look at pictures you have taken. You do a wonderful job at getting only what should be in the picture, in the picture and you do it with style.

Might I ask what camera you use? Film or Digital. What type of film is applicaple and what typ eof scanner if applicable. Also, what program do you use for your graphic work?

I use a Nikon D1 for digital and a Nikon F4 and AF for film and use FugiFilm 200 and 400 most often. I use an Epson Perfection 2400 (just got it) and Adobe PhotoShop6 or Jasc PaintShop when I am just in a rush.

Thanks, Justin.

I took 35mm for years and did developing in the dark room with B&W. I just havent been messing with it lately. I lost my camera in a past relationship gone awry. I have had a number of 35mm from Pentax K-1000 (who hasnt had this monster),Nikon F3, Pentax ME-Super, etc.

My digital camera is the Olympus Camedia C-2020z. I love the Olympus digital as they are very flexible, do great macro work, are good in auto and manual, and offer EXCELLENT detail and resolution if you use the camera correctly.

A lot of the magic is also on the computer. I actually use Paintshop Pro 7 for most of my photo stuff to be honest. I use Photoshop 6 as well for all around but find myself messing with the digital via PSP 7.

I do have a scanner but it's nothing too new. It's a HP Scanjet 5100c. Relatively nice but nothing in the upper tier. I can get some nice stuff off it though.

A lot of the magic comes with learning how to work with files in the graphics programs. Cropping, sharpening, sharpening mask, lighten-darken, and image manipulation is how you can take an OK shot into GREAT territory.

All it takes is practice (and eye for it helps). Based on that other post on the TT, I say you are doing pretty fine!

kh

PaintShop 7 from Jasc is incredibly fast, I normally use that when ppl ask me to host a picture and it is massive or a bmp file or what have you. But when I get serious I normally use PhotoShop 6.

I really enjoy your pictorals, I think it would be great if one day we all are able to post pictures like that to give a really thorough explaination of the product. For example, if the knobs are too small to turn without over turning or too close together. And especially for explaining inputs and outputs on a preamp.

Well, keep up the good work, I really like your design style!

I have now convinced my Quebec friend Jean-Francois (getting a PhD in Mining-Engineering for some crazy reason) to start REALLY making a few of his most successful creations after seeing and hearing his system this summer in Quebec City. I have been bugging him about this for the last five months and he has agreed to do 2-3 units a month. I admit, this is a shameless plug for his stuff but I really think it's excellent and he isnt advertising. This is a purely custom thing - so far, just for the loons in the Klipsch forum as a few others are getting 300b and 45 SET options (and a couple of other line stage orders). The below shot is of his preamp power supply but the line stage will be on same chassis.

pre_text2.jpg

He is going to be making a SRPP 6SN7, dual choke, SRPP 6SN7 Line Stage with tube rectification on a thick copper top plate on walnut or exotic hardwood chassis (exotic wood optional). It will be a minimalist design with three inputs and volume (dual volume as an option). It will have high and low impedance outputs for matching to any amp. Special care is taken for grounding and getting the noise floor suited for 100dB and above speakers. Care will be taken in wiring and layout. I can attest, it looks just as good within as on the outside.

Preliminary pricing has it around $975 in USD plus shipping in a custom wood crate (he insists on this for EVERY preamp/amp).

I think the preamp is one of the most important pieces in the chain and this is just where vintage or complex preamps just dont do enough for me. I love vintage amps but I find the preamps a little slow and not transparent enough unless modified. And I find that most modern preamps leave the music behind, substituting dissection for musicality. I LOVE the musical/atmospheric 6SN7 tube in a preamp and an SRPP twin choke tube rectified unit at this price is insane. Basically, he isnt making too much money here, doing the soldering/construction for pennies on the dollar.

I told him it was absurd just to do these amps for friends. The workmanship is THAT good.

kh