klipsch cinema 1200 what problems, software flaws, glitches?

karogs

Hello,

I purchased the Klipsch cinema 1200 soudbar yesterday and I can't do anything with this system.

1. Volume is stuck at 30, can't change that

2. Can't pair bluetooth 

3. Klipsch connect app does not detect my sound bar.

4. Tried doing firmware upgrade. Steps 1 (DSP) and 2 (MCU) went fine but got stuck with step 3 (WIFI). Current firmwares are as follows

MCU V118

WIFI (that's it, no version)

DSP 5.4

SUR T82

SUR R82

SUR L82

SUB T03

SUB R06

HDMI 43

I have created a support request with Klipsch, meanwhile looking for help here on this forum.

Has anyone else experienced similar problem?

Thanks,

Subi

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 8:58 PM, Subi said:

I have created a support request with Klipsch, meanwhile looking for help here on this forum.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:58 PM, Subi said:

Tried doing firmware upgrade. Steps 1 (DSP) and 2 (MCU) went fine but got stuck with step 3 (WIFI)

Hi @Subi and welcome to the Klipsch Community forums.

Can you describe what happened with step 3?

What documentation did you follow when doing the upgrade?

Here are the Cinema 1200 - Current Firmware Update Notes.

With the newer firmware, the soundbar will phone home overnight and complete the firmware update but it needs a network connection. If your soundbar was using older firmware that didn't provide this capability there was a different procedure to update it: Cinema 1200 - Updating Older Firmware. This procedure includes a link to the WiFi firmware. 

Firmware updates can be finicky even if you follow the instructions exactly. I hate to say it but you may just get lucky after the second, third, or tenth attempt.

I would make a small change to the step 3 procedure and perform #15 in between #5 & #6.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

• Like 1

I just got my Cinema 1200 demo unit from the store as i thought it would be a safer bet as its working. 

My firmware seems to be the newest except my

SUR T, L, R is 79 not 82.

HDMI 42 not 43.

I have no idea what difference these numbers do.

Today I've noticed it won't turn on unless I unplug it. I think this can be resolved with a smart plug.

The issue I worry about is my bluetooth doesn't seem to work. When I hold the remote button for bluetooth, the display says pairing but I can't find the klipsch on my phone, nor my other devices. Anyone else have this issue? Casting seems to work fine though.

12 hours ago, jonboy604 said:

I just got my Cinema 1200 demo unit from the store as i thought it would be a safer bet as its working. 

My firmware seems to be the newest except my

SUR T, L, R is 79 not 82.

HDMI 42 not 43.

I have no idea what difference these numbers do.

Today I've noticed it won't turn on unless I unplug it. I think this can be resolved with a smart plug.

The issue I worry about is my bluetooth doesn't seem to work. When I hold the remote button for bluetooth, the display says pairing but I can't find the klipsch on my phone, nor my other devices. Anyone else have this issue? Casting seems to work fine though.

call kipsch tech support  or email tech support ,   they can help   you , no one on the forum can troubleshoot issues with the 1200   without real tools  in a lab ,  VIP  read  the information posted  online  by klipsch   

10 hours ago, jonboy604 said:

My firmware seems to be the newest except

Hi @jonboy604,

Welcome to the Klipsch Community forums.

While it is impossible to know exactly what is wrong with your soundbar, we do know that the firmware is out of date. When you open a case with Klipsch Product Support the first thing they will want you to do is install the most current firmware. Please see this post and update your firmware.

Because this is a demo unit I don't know what the warranty or date of manufacture might be. The Cinema series of soundbars have had their issues. Most of the firmware issues have been resolve with the current version but there may have been other manufacturing defects that have been resolved in more recently manufactured products.

If I were to purchase another Cinema soundbar I would not want to purchase a demo unit. If the firmware update doesn't resolve your issue and your soundbar is still under warranty, a warranty replacement from Klipsch is your best option. Your second best option would be to return the demo unit to your retailer for a refund.

Another thing you should be aware of: At least one large Klipsch retailer is telling customers that the Cinema 1200 has been discontinued.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ronny S. said:

Hi,is it true that klipsch uncontinues the support for the cinema soundbars?has someone infos?

If you own a Cinema soundbar and it is still within the warranty period it is "supported". 

If your soundbar has a defect and it is still within the warranty period Klipsch will provide a "warranty replacement". They do not repair customer's soundbars. If they provide a warranty replacement you have to return your defective one. Klipsch doesn't guarantee that your warranty replacement will be new; it may be a refurbished unit.

I owned a BAR 48, Cinema 600, and a Cinema 800. Over the life of these products Klipsch provided firmware updates to address specific issues and provide new features so it was quite possible that your soundbar was beyond its warranty period but you were able to install new firmware.

You may notice a revision (rev) number on a some soundbars. That indicates a change to the manufacturing process. Perhaps there were reliability issues with certain components and Klipsch addressed those issues. Those are the only changes I'm aware of that Klipsch makes to existing soundbars. 

When Klipsch decides to do a major upgrade to products like the BAR series and Cinema series soundbar they do it by introducing a new product. Prior to introducing a new product it is a common practice for manufacturers to discontinue an existing product and sometimes significantly reduce the price to clear out existing inventory.

I have not seen any official notice from Klipsch stating that Cinema soundbar models are being discontinued but I do see a number of indications that lead me to believe that is indeed the case.

• There are only a few Cinema models still on the Klipsch website available for purchase.
  • Some retailers have told customers that (some of) the Cinema series soundbars are being discontinued.
  • The price of the Cinema soundbars has been reduced significantly.

I have not heard of any announcements from Klipsch about new soundbars to replace the Cinema series.

• Like 1

new klipsch  sound bars , subs , speakers  ,  etc  are covered by support and warranty during the duration of the warranty coverage period  .  that's the reality .anyone claiming anything different is pure gossip

Hello everybody in klipsch community,

I am writing here because of an issues with my cinema bar 1200 purchased in November 2023. Actually I am on the latest firmware. When I try to connect and reproduce music from external sound source to cinema bar analog input using RCA to 3.5mm or 3.5 mm to 3.5mm cables I can barely ear sound with the volume of the source and the volume of the cinema bar at max. Furthermore only tweeters of cinema bar are reproducing sound (at low volume), other speakers not working. Is like only very high frequencies are reproduced. Tried to change many sources or cables, make many bar reset, disconnect to AC voltage for some time like an hour, reinstall latest firmware via usb, but the problem persist. I really need the analog input working for my use and I don t won't to use a analog to digital converter to connect to optical or hdmi.

I already open a request at klipsch support but nobody answered me.

Hope someone can help me with my issue thank in advance and stay loud.

9 hours ago, Luca Pescatori said:

Hello everybody in klipsch community,

I am writing here because of an issues with my cinema bar 1200 purchased in November 2023

@Luca Pescatori Welcome to the Klipsch community forums.

1. You can return your soundbar to the retailer from whom you purchased it for a replacement or a refund.
  2. If your soundbar is defective open a support case with Klipsch product support and request a warranty replacement. 

First, though, you should do some basic troubleshooting to isolate the problem.

When I try to connect and reproduce music from external sound source to cinema bar analog input using RCA to 3.5mm or 3.5 mm to 3.5mm cables I can barely ear sound with the volume of the source and the volume of the cinema bar at max.

Does this happen only when you you use the analog input or is it the same for all/other input sources?

Furthermore only tweeters of cinema bar are reproducing sound (at low volume), other speakers not working.

This sounds like a separate issue...

Have you read the Cinema 1200 Knowledge Base articles? They may provide some help.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 10:45 AM, KevinB said:

Hi @Subi and welcome to the Klipsch Community forums.

Can you describe what happened with step 3?

What documentation did you follow when doing the upgrade?

Here are the Cinema 1200 - Current Firmware Update Notes.

With the newer firmware, the soundbar will phone home overnight and complete the firmware update but it needs a network connection. If your soundbar was using older firmware that didn't provide this capability there was a different procedure to update it: Cinema 1200 - Updating Older Firmware. This procedure includes a link to the WiFi firmware. 

Firmware updates can be finicky even if you follow the instructions exactly. I hate to say it but you may just get lucky after the second, third, or tenth attempt.

I would make a small change to the step 3 procedure and perform #15 in between #5 & #6.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Thanks Kevin. sorry for the late response. I was using the same guide as shared by you to do the upgrade and I tried Over 10 times but the sound bar just bricked on me. Ended up exchanging the bar. The new one did the update over network and is working fine.

Although the new bar's rear left is not taking the latest firmware, it's at 80 instead of 82 but don't want to risk current setup so not doing anything about it.

I think with previous bar, I should have waited for overnight updates instead of trying them manually.

Thanks,

Subi

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Subi said:

new bar's rear left is not taking the latest firmware

That can happen if it is too far from the soundbar. Rear speakers can be too far from the soundbar to get the firmware update but still be okay for sound.

The workaround is to move it closer (5 to 10 feet from the soundbar) for the firmware update then put it back to it's listening location.

You can try to move it closer overnight when the firmware updates are automatically installed and see if it updates automatically.  If it doesn't you can do the manual firmware install.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 11:03 AM, KevinB said:

@Luca Pescatori Welcome to the Klipsch community forums.

1. You can return your soundbar to the retailer from whom you purchased it for a replacement or a refund.
  2. If your soundbar is defective open a support case with Klipsch product support and request a warranty replacement. 

First, though, you should do some basic troubleshooting to isolate the problem.

Does this happen only when you you use the analog input or is it the same for all/other input sources?

This sounds like a separate issue...

Have you read the Cinema 1200 Knowledge Base articles? They may provide some help.

@KevinB Not to highjack @Luca Pescatori’s post, but I am having the exact same issue as he is.  When my BluOS Node is connected via analog, the volume is super quiet and only the fronts and center are playing.  In my case, everything works great when connected with optical.  Just the analog misbehaves.  I have the latest firmware installed and have had the sound bar for about a year.  Any other suggestions?

5 minutes ago, ken6432 said:

When my BluOS Node is connected via analog, the volume is super quiet and only the fronts and center are playing.

When using the analog input, the volume heard from the soundbar depends on the volume setting of the connected device. Increase the volume output level on the BluOS Node and it should resolve your volume issue.

The analog input can only process 2-channel audio. If your soundbar is using DIRECT mode you probably won't get any rear channel sound.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 5:06 PM, KevinB said:

When using the analog input, the volume heard from the soundbar depends on the volume setting of the connected device. Increase the volume output level on the BluOS Node and it should resolve your volume issue.

The analog input can only process 2-channel audio. If your soundbar is using DIRECT mode you probably won't get any rear channel sound.

Thanks.  I have the Node volume maxed out as well as the soundbar and could still barely hear it.  I guess I'll just have to use the digital connection.  I would prefer to use the Node's DAC as I think it is probably better, but I guess I won't be able to.  Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ken6432 said:

I have the Node volume maxed out as well as the soundbar and could still barely hear it. 

Until I saw your OP I had never heard of the BluOS Node. I just checked the specs and see that it supports these audio outputs:

1. Analog Stereo RCA (Fixed or Variable)
  2. Coaxial RCA
  3. TOSLINK digital optical
  4. USB Audio 2.0

#3 should provide the highest quality audio and your soundbar has a digital input so I don't understand what you mean when you say:

20 minutes ago, ken6432 said:

I guess I'll just have to use the digital connection.  I would prefer to use the Node's DAC as I think it is probably better, but I guess I won't be able to.

#1 says (Fixed or Variable). I haven't read the manual but that suggests there may be a setting to enable variable audio output levels. Are you sure it is configured correctly?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KevinB said:

Until I saw your OP I had never heard of the BluOS Node. I just checked the specs and see that it supports these audio outputs:

1. Analog Stereo RCA (Fixed or Variable)
  2. Coaxial RCA
  3. TOSLINK digital optical
  4. USB Audio 2.0

#3 should provide the highest quality audio and your soundbar has a digital input so I don't understand what you mean when you say:

#1 says (Fixed or Variable). I haven't read the manual but that suggests there may be a setting to enable variable audio output levels. Are you sure it is configured correctly?

#1 is the only output option that uses the Node's digital to analog converters which will most likely be of higher quality than the DACs in the soundbar (I don't know what chips/circuitry the soundbar uses, so that may be a bad assumption).  While the other outputs are accurate, high quality outputs, they are just digital outputs.  The quality of the final analog output that goes to the speakers is what matters.  In some cases the sound quality difference between devices may be small, but in others the difference is substantial.  It all depends upon the quality of the DACs used.  Of course you have to have very good input content as well.  If the input is lossy mp3s, the quality of the DACs is negated.