Heading to L.A.

The Dude

On 10/29/2021 at 7:12 PM, BigStewMan said:

I don't view Los Angeles as any more dangerous than most places that I've lived.

I wouldn't compare Omaha to LA, but there are pockets I wouldn't go in after dark...one may not come out if your not a familiar face.   I used to work in those pockets in my early 20's, I've seen some things that most people would run to the cops about.  You learn to keep to yourself and finish work by sunset.   Every time I head west to smaller towns people always ask.. how are gangs there? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I made it there and back, didn't get robbed or step in poop. Once we landed, got the rental car, we didn't fell much like doing anything. So we checked into the hotel and got some lunch at a local dinner. Later that evening we ate at a Mexican joint where I had some of the best fish tacos I have ever had. On the way back to the airport we had some extra time, so we decided to stop at the beach for some photos. If you zoom in on the pictures, you can see the cargo ships in the background. Even got to see some dolphins swimming around.

All in all it was a pretty decent time, nice weather, nice food.bbc4aa4716340bbb5c223ef7cb14d312.jpg39e4028fe5c311012098f2c855a89bd2.jpg0612316e2be29b09276366f206835711.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/29/2021 at 7:12 PM, BigStewMan said:

I don't view Los Angeles as any more dangerous than most places that I've lived. Over 50 years in the greater Los Angeles area ... twice my car was broken into (the only thing stolen was a machete and yes, I had to explain to the cops why I had a machete and a sawed off baseball bat behind the seat of my car.  I told him "I'm from Oakland." He said he understood; but stuff like that make cops nervous). Only one encounter with a group of lawless individuals too and even that was decades ago. I've found it easy to mind my own business. I know where the trouble generally is and stay away from those area. Plus I have a good sense of when any situation is going in the wrong direction so I've been able to leave safely before anything gets too wild. 

there aren't shootouts on every corner like some think. 

you just have to be aware, be observant, and don't look at anyone too long.  If you can mind your own business, chances are you're going to be fine. 

I admit, I have made a wrong turn and ended up in an area that I knew were dangerous; but sticking to the main streets is advisable for a person unfamiliar with the area. 

Oh boy, you definitely "Don't look at anyone too long"... Believe it or not this "looking at crazy people" can be dangerous. For some reason the guy "screaming at imaginary people" while standing on the sidewalk has issues with people observing him? You'd think he wouldn't mind because he's not exactly in a location that's in anyway private. Go figure?

It wasn't that long ago when the LA skid row only encompassed a few blocks of area. Now the "crazies" live in the entirety of "downtown", West Hollywood, Miracle Mile, Carver city, Santa Monica, Silverlake, Echo Park, all of Hollywood, most of Glendale, Burbank, North Hollywood... I could go on and on...  This is a big problem. The police are telling honest citizens to comply with robbers. Fortunately, I don't live in CA anymore. In Texas (especially after September 1st) "comply" means something totally different and it has nothing to do with "minding your own business".