DirecTV?

DizRotus

For many reasons I’m seriously considering switching my business Internet and phone needed for our home based business, to Comcast. The rub is no video is available from Comcast with a business account.  The Comcast rep says one of the streaming services, such as Hulu Live TV, YouTube TV, etc., will solve the problem.

Our Millennial sons have been urging us to cut the cable for years.  Ultimately, I see this as an opportunity to bundle the programming we like, while avoiding redundant payments.

Apparently, DirecTv is the only streaming service to offer Bally Sports Detroit, which is the only network for Detroit Tigers games.  Believe it or not, my wife would divorce me if this change made it impossible, or even difficult, to watch the Tigers.

What can anyone tell me about DirecTV streaming?  How are programs recorded?  Does it come with remotes?  Do I need “smart” TVs?  Any other pluses or minuses would be appreciated.  It’s possible I May need to combine DIrectTV with another streaming service to cover all the bases, so any info about alternatives would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Only problem with streaming for me, I've stated it before.

RSNs.

Regional Sports Networks migrate from one live tv service to another sometimes every year. It was that way for foxsports south & southeast for me the past four or more years.

att/direct had the least # of useable channels included where I was. I went from Fubo, Hulu to YouTubeTV and back several times to get my hockey fix. They'se having a good year and are on Bally now which I have to subscribe to a livetv thing to be able to view.

Wasn't bad at all when there weren't any commercials on the roku. Now there are as many as there was on cable.

bill2.jpg

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Have you considered a non business account to enable you to acquire the video from Comcast?

Not sure now why video not permitted.

@DizRotus

Yes.  The needs of the business are more important.  For many reasons a residential account is not a suitable option.  Years ago we had a Comcast business account that included “business TV,” which offered a few “waiting room” channels.  Apparently, the proliferation of streaming services has allowed cable providers to get out of the TV delivery business.

• Like 1

I can't speak to DirecTV streaming but I have been a DirecTV customer for probably 16 of the last 19 years that I've lived away from the ability to have broadband internet service. Those other three years I had Dish. I've also owned three different houses, apartments too many to count. Prior to DireTV I subscribed to cable TV in at least four states. All the major providers including Comcast.

Putting aside cost because it has been so many years, I can emphatically say DirecTV has the best picture quality and sound. Far beyond any previous cable TV I paid for. Very small outages due to weather which are very predictable....look out the window. Unlike cable TV when they seem to go out for no apparent reason.

Customer service sucks across the board.

Is satellite DirecTV an option? 

• Like 2

Also thinking now that not possible to have residential subscription at same residence as business/commercial account with Comcast. Seems impractical just saying it. Yet could be somewhat ideal just having the one source.

When you say streaming with DirecTV, suppose you are talking satellite and not some computer streaming service they have.

Other than weather related outages, can see no reason not to go with DirecTV. You can have more than one receiver or STBoxes that enable you to watch programming on different sets, different rooms with remotes, etc.

So unless other ways to watch that particular sports channel?

Thanks!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DizRotus said:

For many reasons I’m seriously considering switching my business Internet and phone needed for our home based business, to Comcast. The rub is no video is available from Comcast with a business account.  The Comcast rep says one of the streaming services, such as Hulu Live TV, YouTube TV, etc., will solve the problem.

Our Millennial sons have been urging us to cut the cable for years.  Ultimately, I see this as an opportunity to bundle the programming we like, while avoiding redundant payments.

Apparently, DirectTv is the only streaming service to offer Bally Sports Detroit, which is the only network for Detroit Tigers games.  Believe it or not, my wife would divorce me if this change made it impossible, or even difficult, to watch the Tigers.

What can anyone tell me about DirectTV streaming?  How are programs recorded?  Does it come with remotes?  Do I need “smart” TVs?  Any other pluses or minuses would be appreciated.  It’s possible I May need to combine DIrectTV with another streaming service to cover all the bases, so any info about alternatives would be appreciated.

Cutting cable was one of the best things ever.  We use Amazon and Youtube, adding some extra channels on Amazon throughout the year as they go on sale and we feel like it.  We do not watch a lot of TV, but do when we go to bed at night. 

I cannot stand commercials or any form of regular TV anymore.  Everything is on demand.  I can never go back. 

• Like 1

• DizRotus changed the title to DirecTV?

UPDATE 11/27/21

DirecTV delivered three sets of hardware (one for each TV) on Tuesday 11/24.  On Wednesday 11/25 Comcast “ported” our business phone from WOW to Comcast and installed the business Internet line at our home/business. The business phone transfer was seamless.  The Comcast tech is a Klipsch fan who asked to hear my basement system. On that same day, Comcast installed a business Internet line at the duplex rented by our two sons.

With the help of our younger (31) son, we “installed” the DirecTV on Wednesday.  We couldn’t be more pleased.  The operation of the TVs, remotes, and DVR is a huge improvement over WOW.  Our account with DirecTV allows our sons to also access content from the duplex.  They’re thrilled with the changes. The speed of uploads and downloads at the duplex is substantially improved.

The performance and service are better and the overall cost is Lower.  The BEST part is the ability to speak to a Comcast representative easily without wading through WOW’s phone jail.  

The last insults from WOW were the need to speak with WOW residential and business reps to cancel the three WOW accounts.  Cancelling on the WOW site, even using “Live Chat,” was not possible.   Now, WOW insisted on speaking with me, and they wanted feedback. Before, they showed no interest in speaking with me or addressing my concerns.  Too little too late.

• Thanks 1