RSW-12 Sub Replacement

off2board

1 hour ago, off2board said:

Hello,

I am looking to replace the driver in my RSW-12 sub.  Does anyone have a service manual available for it?  Or can tell me what ohms it runs at? (2, 4 or 8?).

The driver itself smells cooked so I am starting with that.  Any guidance?

RSW12 pic 1.jpg

rsw12 pic 2.jpg

is the sub not working? if so, as mentioned the amp is probably whats bad, unfortunately it is common of many models of this era subs. do some testing of the sub if you can with a ohm or multi meter & report what it is.  if the amp is bad a member here repairs them for a very fair price, message @ngen33r for more info.   

4 minutes ago, babadono said:

Where you been Zen? Klipsch subs are notorious for amp failures.

If that is offensive to Klipsch perhaps they should fix the problem(s) and not kill the messenger.

I've been here and it's why I ask. Fwiw, the RSW series does not have a history of amp failures. Mine have been played practically every night for 20 years and I only had to replace 1 amp because of a lightening strike 12 years ago.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Are you saying because of their age?

age is one issue, but as mentioned above so is the fact klipsch & many other brands of plate amp subs & speakers are known for failures.  the RSW line is not as bad but still can & do have problems.... there are 2 or 3 other threads right below this one of RSW amp problems & many more on this forum & others over the years , they have issues too. 

as with anything like this, the failure rates are relatively low overall compared to how many were made & if yours have been good for this long thats great, but many others have failed.  the environment plate amps live in is very rough on parts & most these amps are made in china so knocking on wood is a good idea as they get older.

the OP needs to do some further diagnosis to determine what the issue is.  as mentioned, unless the woofer was severely overdriven (which most sub amps have protection to prevent that) its most likely not the woofer & the amp that is the problem. it will be cheaper to repair the amp than buying a replacement woofer so hopefully the woofer is good. being these are so old (2003?) i doubt klipsch has replacement parts but you can always call & sit on hold for 15-20+ minutes or email & wait a month for a reply   ,   ---      

heres a replacement woofer... not cheap.   https://www.ebay.com/itm/124508633297?epid=21045972961&hash=item1cfd4af8d1:g:11AAAOSwSeFf7fSK

22 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

age is one issue, but as mentioned above so is the fact klipsch & many other brands of plate amp subs & speakers are known for failures.  the RSW line is not as bad but still can & do have problems.... there are 2 or 3 other threads right below this one of RSW amp problems & many more on this forum & others over the years , they have issues too. 

Not to be argumentative but having been a long-time member and owner those are all current threads talking about a long discontinued product...I suggest age is more the culprit of current RSW amp failures and realize newer models have had issues--the RSW series did not.

19 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

is the sub not working? if so, as mentioned the amp is probably whats bad, unfortunately it is common of many models of this era subs. @ngen33r 

Checking back I see we may agree age is the issue. :)

17 hours ago, babadono said:

Where you been Zen? Klipsch subs are notorious for amp failures.

If that is offensive to Klipsch perhaps they should fix the problem(s) and not kill the messenger.

THIS post was what I was responding to. ;)

• Like 1

The RSW 10 drivers measure 3 ohms with a meter.  You have the driver out so itll be easy to check.

These amps are much better than their current offerings which seem to crap out fairly often.  They will not however last forever.  Eventually they fail.  Not due to a bad design though.  Just age.

• Like 2

The sub is working somewhat.  It powers on and outputs like normal, but clips at lower frequencies (deeper bass sounds, or background filler in movies).  On the driver I am measuring 1.1ohms across the terminals (So yea, I am guessing its blown but I dont have the specs).  The amp appears to go into a type of safety mode when playing music with lots of bass hits.

Thanks for the response people and the links for replacement drivers.  Is it worth spending $250 for driver that 'might' fix everything or just getting their cheaper but 15 years newer sub for nearly the same price???

Edited by off2board

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Ending

Just to follow up.  I ended up buying a used driver off ebay for $70.  Numbers on it weren't identical and had some wear n tear but took a chance.  Both were K-1113-T but mine was #121242 and this one is #121212...not sure what that number represents but the sub is working and no more clipping.  

Thanks again for the direction.  I had originally tried looking on ebay and struggled to find anything but some users above provided links and got me on track.

image.png.8d26ed3105e1bbbb35cbea59b062472f.png

• Like 1