XLR Connectors on 80's Cornwalls?

bsac335

51 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

If you question is should you use XLR connections from a Preamp to an amp, definitely if both have the capability. Otherwise, no, don't modify a speaker to accept anything other than banana, spades or bare wire.   

Beg to differ. Best connection is Neutrik Speakon NL-4. Pros swear by it as I do (for 20 years).

2 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Beg to differ. Best connection is Neutrik Speakon NL-4. Pros swear by it as I do (for 20 years).

OK, well do you think EVERY Cornwall should be MODIFIED to accept that connection?  I don't disagree that it's a superior connection, but should one MODIFY their Cornwall speaker to accept that? No, especially if you don't really know what you are doing.... 

3 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

OK, well do you think EVERY Cornwall should be MODIFIED to accept that connection?  I don't disagree that it's a superior connection, but should one MODIFY their Cornwall speaker to accept that? No, especially if you don't really know what you are doing.... 

Of course not, but You mentioned Banana Plugs, which were not part of the older Cornwalls (or any other older Heritage).

"don't modify a speaker to accept anything other than banana, spades or bare wire.     I mostly agree with the advice. I just didn't want to leave out an excellent industry standard that has proven it's worth as an excellent choice for Speaker Connection. Adding Banana Jacks would still require drilling holes and soldering, so why not go "all the way" with that?

So if someone were to install those, as you suggest, they require drilling holes to install (next to?) original spade lug/bare wire connections that were part of Klipsch Heritage while Paul Klipsch still owned the company.

So my point was simply this: If you are going to ADD speaker connectors to a Cornwall beyond the older Originals, you may as well install Neutrik Speakons which are industry standard in the new Millenium for Pro Speakers. They are the best and not that expensive, as opposed to adding Banana Jacks, which are better than the original also.

Yes, I practice what I preach, but you know that already.

On 12/26/2021 at 5:31 PM, bsac335 said:

Just curious if anyone has modified their Cornwalls for XLR grounded connectors on their CWs. Does it make any difference in sound/noise floor that is audible?

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that no,  nobody has modified their Cornwalls to use an XLR connector as those are normally used for balanced line level connections.

as mentioned above, if you want a quick disconnect for easy set up and moving of your system, install some Neutrik speakon connectors.

They feature a positive twist locking mechanism which is quick and easy and ensures your polarity is correct(as long as your speaker cables are initially wired correctly).

They also come in 2 and 4 conductor versions so you could run a single cable in a bi-amp type of setup.

But, if you aren’t moving things around that much you might as well go with a good set of modern binding posts. 

• Like 2

Apparently there has been some equipment made over the years where an XLR connector was used for amp to speaker connections.

However, speakon connectors have a better surface area on the connection and are rated at something like 30 amps and are a much better choice nowadays if you need a quick disconnect.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 8:26 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

If you question is should you use XLR connections from a Preamp to an amp, definitely if both have the capability. Otherwise, no, don't modify a speaker to accept anything other than banana, spades or bare wire.   

Got it. thanks