The Audio Impact of Solar Panels and Battery Backup

Edgar

2 hours ago, Edgar said:

Was the battery used for the power supply, or for the filaments?

Battery may pre date wide spread electrification.

Someone more informed than me will have to give you a complete answer

Early vacuum tube (valve) radios ran off of batteries instead of house current. These antique radios required two different batteries for operation, an "A" and a "B" battery. Some models even required a third "C" battery supply.

The "A" battery provided power to the tube filaments (typically 1.5 to 6 volts) and the "B" battery provided the plate voltage to the tubes. Unfortunately, vacuum tubes (with the exception of space charge tubes) require high plate voltages on the order of 90 V or higher to work. Back in the day, B-batteries were common place and relatively cheap. However, these large voltage sizes are no longer readily available, so an alternative is needed.

Typically, radio enthusiasts power their radios using a special power supply that runs on house current. Though they work well, they are expensive to buy (or build) and they don't allow for portability. Because of this, I decided to construct a similar power supply that runs off of a single 9V battery. Not only is it cheaper to build, it is cheap to operate and it allows me to listen to my radios where I like. Of course, I could have just wired up ten 9 V batteries in series, but that would not be so much fun.

https://www.instructables.com/Antique-Radio-B-Battery-Power-Supply/#:~:text=These antique radios required two different batteries for,battery provided the plate voltage to the tubes.

https://www.radiolaguy.com/info/About battery radios.htm

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 2:53 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Also, Car batteries should be explored, since they are so common as well and can EASILY power Amplifiers that are perfect for driving Big Horns in Homes!!

There are car battery manufactures that make lithium batteries that bass heads use for the primary power source of their systems. 

https://limitlesslithium.com/products/45ah.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

There are car battery manufactures that make lithium batteries that bass heads use for the primary power source of their systems. 

https://limitlesslithium.com/products/45ah.html

I remember attending an AutoRama Show in Detroit (where else?) many Moons ago. A well dressed young man (suit and tie) was the Representative for a company that made 1 and 2 FARAD (1,000,000 to 2,000,000 Microfarads) capacitors to go in the trunk of the car so that when the Stupid Subwoofers that piss off homeowners and other drivers would not "sag" the instrument panel displays while the 1 and 2 KILOWATT amplifiers were doing their best to vibrate the car apart while killing the hearing of passengers.

It's the furthers thing from HI FI. This battery seem to be a product that would appeal to those idiots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember attending an AutoRama Show in Detroit (where else?) many Moons ago. A well dressed young man (suit and tie) was the Representative for a company that made 1 and 2 FARAD (1,000,000 to 2,000,000 Microfarads) capacitors to go in the trunk of the car so that when the Stupid Subwoofers that piss off homeowners and other drivers would not "sag" the instrument panel displays while the 1 and 2 KILOWATT amplifiers were doing their best to vibrate the car apart while killing the hearing of passengers.

It's the furthers thing from HI FI. This battery seem to be a product that would appeal to those idiots.
That's exactly who it's appealing to, but they're running 10k and 20k power amps.

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/dc-audio-pitbull-20k-20000w-rms-amplifier/

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Something similar at Summerfest in Wisconsin, big croud. I had a peek and all in for good sound but that's not it.

19 hours ago, The Dude said:

That's exactly who it's appealing to, but they're running 10k and 20k power amps.

https://skyhighcaraudio.com/dc-audio-pitbull-20k-20000w-rms-amplifier/

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

It's like the appeal to people with large Egos and a Billion dollars bragging about how many FEET their Yachts are or how many Bugatti Veyrons they own in the USA, where the speed limits on freeways are 75 MPH. Proving once again that Ridiculous Overkill is alive and well in the Marketplace. I prefer Big Horns with 10 watt amplifiers for the greatest micro details via low distortion and high dynamic range. For those people it's not about the MUSIC, just bragging rights and show off time.