Forte Model 2 Class A preamplifier

captainbeefheart

I was hoping someone here has had some experience with a Forte Model Class A preamplifier. Someone local asked if I would take it in trade for getting their McIntosh 2100 up and running.

I was told Nelson Pass had a hand in the design and that the unit is held in pretty high regard for the price. I suppose if I don't like it I could always sell it as I don't really need it. I am thinking I might take it and help the guy out.

What say you?

4 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I say good on you.  I have seen some of their amps for sale, never a preamp.   Had read good things some time ago from memory but have never heard any of their gear.  

Thanks Chris.

I am reading some good things about it so I'll most likely take it. I can't resist practically free gear, I know it will chew up a day of time for me to fix his amp but I think it might be worth it.

21 minutes ago, captainbeefheart said:

Thanks Chris.

I am reading some good things about it so I'll most likely take it. I can't resist practically free gear, I know it will chew up a day of time for me to fix his amp but I think it might be worth it.

I think youll like it. If not, I'm sure you'll modify it to your liking. 

• Like 1

Forte was the “step child” of Threshold, featuring NP of course. I owned two, maybe three Class A Model 4’s power amps. SorrySuperb amps for today’s money. Sorry I have no experience with their preamps but should perform very well - . Owned a couple Threshold preamps which were excellent - 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, richieb said:

Forte was the “step child” of Threshold, featuring NP of course. I owned two, maybe three Class A Model 4’s power amps. SorrySuperb amps for today’s money. Sorry I have no experience with their preamps but should perform very well - . Owned a couple Threshold preamps which were excellent - 

From my limited amount of searching online it appears to review quite well and the second hand market price to performance ratio is excellent. I think your right it should perform very well.

Thanks!

On a side note, some 18 years ago, wanted to explore Class A amps and the Forte Model 4 was just in the perfect price range at the time. Bought one off of Audiogon for $400 bucks.  Kept it for about 2 years and resold it on the site for $450.  Now, one recently sold on Ebay for $939. I guess I should have kept it a little longer. lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175074021496?hash=item28c3399078%3Ag%3ABFgAAOSwIVZhwNn3&nma=true&si=fbJGypN1GI7Nac145yDU9CZQcgI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shiva said:

On a side note, some 18 years ago, wanted to explore Class A amps and the Forte Model 4 was just in the perfect price range at the time. Bought one off of Audiogon for $400 bucks.  Kept it for about 2 years and resold it on the site for $450.  Now, one recently sold on Ebay for $939. I guess I should have kept it a little longer. lol

Adjusted for inflation the power amps are holding value or have increased a little maybe. That's pretty good I'd say.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 11:29 AM, Shiva said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175074021496?hash=item28c3399078%3Ag%3ABFgAAOSwIVZhwNn3&nma=true&si=fbJGypN1GI7Nac145yDU9CZQcgI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Compare that money against contemporary gold/Silver...
I did that to my wage history, not recommended.

• Like 1

Wow these units are nice, more so than I was expecting. It indeed has an excellent phono stage with many options which is near impossible to find this quality at this price. Overall it's a very warm analog sounding unit and dead quiet. I read some good reviews and they were not wrong. I highly recommend this unit to anyone needing a preamp, forget price I have no doubt this unit will best or be as good almost anything within 10x it's price range.

• Like 1