Why buy a Mc 275 when you can have one of these!

michaelwjones

11 hours ago, tomlang said:

There absolutely are some differences!  The appearance is different...the chassis color is gold not silver, and there are several misspellings...including the brand name as I pointed out.

it's pretty obvious  , whomever makes these clones  aint gonna paint it silver or spell the brand   correctly cause the clone would be a  knockoff  ,which  would raise a serious  concern    .

11 hours ago, tomlang said:

the circuit is 100% identical...it uses exactly the same parts  

Not really ,  McIntosh make their own transformers + other internal parts   , this clone  does not use  McIntosh  parts .

• Like 1

You are correct again.  These are copies of the McIntosh transformers made in china, at least they were shipped from there.

There have been many companies making exact copies of old tube transformers.  Dynakit, Magnetic Components to name two.

I never give much thought for the insides of a transformer. All you will find is wire wrapped around a metal core. Some may say a lot depends on who winds them though. Not rocket science by any means. Lot's of diy'ers wind their own. That said Mac transformers are more complicated to wind but I understand others are doing it the same way now. Found that out on this forum from our great members. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I bought one of the MC275 clones Jan of this year 2023, and absolutely LOVE it! I replaced the EH tubes that it came with, with high quality KR Audio KT88 tubes and NOS Telefunken ECC801S and Tesla E83CC tubes and it actually sounds better than a real MC275 with factory tubes! I currently own a real Mcintosh amplifier, and have owned a Mcintosh MC275 in the past. The transformers are different than the original Mac transformers the Chifi transformers have 16 layers and the Mac's have 12. The only issue I have had with the clone is the green diodes that light the small tubes have quit working. Now the original Mac the diodes serve a function, they turn from amber to green to notify the user that the amp is "ready". This amp the green diodes are purely cosmetic and serve absolutely no function. I actually was glad when they all failed, because I think the amplifier looks better without them! Other than this, the amplifier has performed flawlessly. Anyone wanting that Mac "tube"  sound should really consider this option, as it will literally save thousands of dollars. 

Best

Robert

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 6:59 PM, henry4841 said:

That said Mac transformers are more complicated to wind but I understand others are doing it the same way now. Found that out on this forum from our great members. 

The unity coupled transformer offers improved performance for CL-B vacuum tube operation only.  CL-B amplifiers are somewhat higher efficiency than CL-AB.

• 4 weeks later...

I will be posting a review on the actual latest McIntosh 275. I found the sound to be too bright, grainy and analytical for my tastes. The Kenny Russell Dynaco ST70 sounds like warm silk by comparison at a third the price. The 275 used the stock KT88 tubes while the ST70 used the EL34 NessTone's. I love McIntosh products but wasn't too thrilled with their 275. Wouldn't be surprised if the clone was pretty good. 

I've had an MC275 MK4 for 20 years, the last MC275 with the cable lugs and better output transformers than its predecessor, the MC275 CE. And on the other hand, it doesn't have those ugly speaker terminals like the Mk5 and fortunately not that fairground lighting like the Mk6 under the preamp tubes. You can also adjust the volume of the RCA inputs. If you want absolutely high sound resolution, you will choose the XLR inputs anyway.

Ron C, a Mcintosh employee explained in another forum that the Mk6 only has its feedback loop at the output of the transformers so that the damping factor would be better. Well, it is no longer the original sound and it could explain these impressions that it sounds more analytical, but not necessarily more musical.