CORNWALL TEST: A great website for cornies!

-klipsch

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that was it? The Cornwall test consisted of the Belgium Audio School's web site? Hell, I already knew that...I thought I somehow ended up on the wrong thread when I read about all the friendly banter between tube amps from Cary Audio and ASL (by the way, I like 'em both, but what do I know? I use SS)!2.gif

----------------

On 1/3/2003 10:14:46 PM NOS440 wrote:

Boy I see everyone is really bored tonight !!

----------------

Well yes, you can say that. I can't listen to my system because my brother is in the next room with his HT blarring "Gone in Sixty Seconds!"

Bryston is bright, unrefined, crappy solid state? I am no solid state lover, but I have to say that of the SS manutacturers I have heard in the last five years, I would NOT call the later Bryston "bright, unrefined, crappy, solid state."

Actually, the Bryston 4B-ST is a very refined amp for the ducats with plenty of good traits for solid state. Bright and unrefined is the LAST thing I wouls say. It surely was a step up from the Rotels I have heard. That last time I heard Bryston, it was the 4B-ST in direct comparion to the Wright Sound 3.5w Monos, a VERY sweet refined, high resolution SET. Sure, the Bryston did not equal the intimacy and open quality of the Wright, but it was no slouch and VERY nice, easily worth the $1500 or so used if you happen to love solid state.

Why the massive generalizations here? First Cary "House sound" which you never defined (still trying to define the connection with the sonics of something like the V12 and the 300se Monos). And now this. What gives, Ole Yank?

kh

ps- Did you ever realize you could USE EL-34 tubes in your Jolida 801a and $4000 Quicksilver V4? Your trip back to the ASL 1003 should be interesting. What happens to the QS?

Bryston is 'bright', yet Klipsch has 'clarity'. Consistency, thou art a jewel.

My statement regarding Bryston was in the context of buying it used, as opposed to buying it new. My statement had nothing to do with comparisons as they related to sound, regarding ASL or any other tube amp.

If you run a Bryston amp with a good tube preamp -- it's a very involving sound. I ran the 3B-ST with both a Sonic Frontiers Line 1, and my current AE-3 DJH. It took a 15 wpc, class A, zero feedback, push-pull with KT-88's to best it.

The problem with Bryston is the same problem Klipsch has. Uncompromising clarity. Team the Bryston up with a less than perfect preamp -- and it'll let you know about it right quick.

Well, like you said earlier, much of this does come down to subjectivity. You are right about that. We all don't 'hear' exactly the same, and this I'm sure sometimes accounts for the choices we make. I did sell the Bryston, and currently have an Aragon 4004 MKII -- which I think sounds better than the Bryston. However, I certainly wouldn't characterize the sound of Bryston as 'bad'.

"I *Used* to have the QS v-4 monos....I sold the v4 because my speakers at the time needed max current. So I have a rotel rb-1090 380wpc/8 700wpc 4> now."

- Mr. Yankee on 12/31/02

"Who said I got rid of the v4? They are happily powering my 1st system."

- Mr. Yankee on 1/04/03

What gives Yank? This place isnt known for close reading skills but I am amazed a lot of this has not drawn caution flags. You sure are doing a lot of buying and selling in a short period (as in hours). So you repurchased a $4000 pair of V4 and decided you needed a ASL 1003? Did you sell the V4 or not?

So you had a $6000 Pass Labs X-250 and never looked back? And replaced it with a Rotel? And you had/have/hadveth a $4000 Quicksilver V4? Nothing is making sense.

What were you running the Bryston with? I HATE bright sound worse than anybody on here, certainly you based on your likes in another thread, many of which are on the bright side of the equation. My guess is system or room incompatibility. Either that or imaginary fun.

"Remember, high end is pure BS."

- Mr. Yankee 12/31/02

kh

Ouch! MH isn't pulling any punches now. Very entertaining..which, somehow, seems so disturbing. Just to be a pisser, I think all these amps suck and my Eico kicks all their butts. If you don't like the way it sounds, I will roll a variety of tubes that cost me more than the amp did - tax time, I reconciled my checkbook, this tube thing is a scam. These companies could make more money giving the damn amps away for free and sucking you dry with all the NOS tubes.

BTW, MH, can not remove that junk from my turntable as the arm is mounted to the lid. Could not manually place the arm if gadgetry was removed. Looking at Duals, Thorens, or if/when my mind has reached its capacity for comparisons, will pop for a used Rega 2.

PS. Anyone with a Bryston who thinks it sucks can send it directly to me - I will gladly pay postage.

The EICO has been getting less comments here but it still remains one of my all time favorite amps, bar none. If only a good portion of the modern offerings had this much soul and quality, more people would be listening to music and not sound.

You are right, however, concerning the expense of NOS tube subs. You just have to find out which tubes are the most important to go for NOS and what ones are worth the price. Everyone loves Telefunken 12AX7. I have a handful here. In most preamp circuits, I still prefer other options so I don't usually break down and spring for these. On the other hand, there are plenty of way to find vintage tubes around that don't involve dropping several hundred at Tube World or Brent Jesse's hideaway. Trouble is, the instant gratification is a bit tough this route.

Sadly, NOS offerings in the pre stage still kill almost all the modern counterparts. For the EL-84 in the EICO, I think the RCA/GE is a good compromise and I found a cheap source for a handful of those at modern JJ pricing. You just have to keep your eyes open. I much prefer the NOS like the RCA to the JJ EL-84 Like all the modern tubes, I think the NOS have a certain subtle/revealing nature that none of the new tubes get. I see this in comparing the great Sovtek 2A3 vs the more sublime RCA 2A3 Black Plates from the 40s. This inner detail and harmonic richness combined with the subtle refinement really cant be equaled.

kh

Well this little Eico has resulted in my having the JJ EL84s, 2 sets of Mullard El84's, a set of Mullard 12AX7's, a set of Mullard CV4004's, and the odd Bugle Boy's. Some are NOS, some are used.

Right now, it is sitting with the CV4004's and the Mullard EL84's. I do REALLY like it with the 12AX7's and the JJ's in it as well. Slightly different sound - a tad brighter and more dynamic would be the description I guess. It's all good. I listened to some Neil Diamond, Sinatra and Basie, and some Billie Holiday on it and was stoked in its current configuration. THAT on my POS Technics, randomly choose to reset turntable but oh, how I love vinyl.

Of course, a number of my friends tell me I am insane - tube amps and vinyl suck, they say. Snap, crackle, pop is all they remember - CD is the best damn thing out there, thank God. I then gently suggest they don't know **** and should stick to listening to their boom-boxes.

Pat just sold his Rega Planar 2 to another forum member for a good price with cartridge. It's not the best table in the world but at $200 with a cartridge, is hard to beat. The RB-250 arm can be modified to really scale the heights price wise. The Rega arms seem to be better than the tables I think. I actually have never been a total fan of the Rega tables but not too many others offer as simple and bullet proof option. You need a good stand, however.

I would look for a belt drive table with a good arm. There will be many options better than what you have so that is a good thing. It's really worth putting some money into your source. The EICO does VERY well with digital too. It's a great mate with the Rega Planet although I have had everything from the Tjoeb unit to a portable Aiwa and all had positive qualities via the 81. I think the line stage is better than the phono but when right, the phono is pretty good.

I'll do some looking around for tables.

kh

Gee Whiz,

Yankee appears to have packed up his baseball and gone home in a huff.Got caught a little too far out in the "bull**** zone",I think.He's deleted all previous posts,etc.from the forum.

Still,he'll probably show up later with a new "nom de voyage".Kelly,you're a heartless fiend!

Very concerned,

Pat