Psst, (mechanical?) Engineers and other crafty, ingenious folk...

Coytee

42 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

Be careful about using too little amounts of powder which will not be enough to propel the projectile out of the barrel. Then the cannon blows up.

JJK.

Noted, thank you.  (don't know that I would have thought of that angle)

Talked with Dad's wife....she said it's not been fired since before they were married (1986 so about 36 years ago)

No clue about the cannon balls though.  I'm beginning to allow myself to think Dad might have put them in there as he had as best I can tell, 11 balls and I can easily see him think "where am I going to put these"....  and put them in what he thought would be a natural spot.

Her nieces/nephews would have been way too young then to likely do something like that and since it was at his office and later, home, the circle of suspects has to be pretty small.

AND, it sounds like a bonehead thing he might do.  lol.  (Love ya dad!!)

Richard,

Dixie Gun Works recommends 2 oz. FG black powder and blank loads for the size bore you have. They don't recommend actually firing projectiles.

Really, all you want is the flash/bang.

Very cool, btw.

Also, my friend worked with a heavey artillery group at the huge Gettysburg anniversary reenactment. Since they were firing AT each other, for sure they were using blank loads.