What racks do you use ?

michael hurd

----------------

On 1/6/2003 1:34:22 AM michael hurd wrote:

I have seen salamander designs, billy bags, target audio and others. My question is. 1. What do you own. 2. Why you like/dislike it. 3. Price ? 4. Any other suggestions ? I am not a DIY in this areas. Most of my creations look, well unfinished.

----------------

I have the bdi axis 8022 in Cognac

here is the link

http://www.bdiusa.com/avfurniture/axis_8022.shtml

paid about 600 for it 2 months ago and absolutely love it... less the 20 minutes to put together and holds even the heaviest amps. (well almost all of them)

9.gif

I needed a tv/audio stand so I went with the bello.

I loved it until I tried to fit the pioneer 49txi on the bottm shelf. The darn receiver is tooo tall so I ended up removing the middle shelf.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=29143&forumID=69&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={74427400-963D-47A9-8C3A-71A9C8DF0742}

scott

I wanted a rack with lots of shelves and adjustments, so I built the TNT Flexy Rack (http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html). It probably didn't save me a bunch of money by the time I was finished tweaking the design (e.g. birch trim on the fronts of the shelves), but it is very rugged, kind of industrial looking (with 3/4" threaded rod and those gigantic nuts and washers), and very flexible.

The nearest thing to it I've seen in the pre-made world is Salamander.

DD

Doug

I built a 5 shelf Flexy this weekend using 5/8" material. It holds my equipment nicely but now my TT is very sensitive to footfall vibration.

I went with the 4 rod variation and did up all the nuts very tightly. I am wondering if perhaps I should back them off a bit.

If anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing from them.

Lynnm,

I have a flexi shelf also and do not have too much trouble with vibrations.

I built mine with 3/4" 15 ply birch and 3/8" threaded rods.

As you can imagine the plywood I used is quite rigid.

If I were going to build another one I would be tempted to use 1/2" threaded rod as the whole shelf sways just a little bit if you bump it.

Perhaps some steel cable run diagonaly in an X on the back of the rack with some turnbuckles to tighten the cable would help with overall rigidity.

I also have the base of mine set on 4 12"x12"x2" paving stones which I think might help to keep it from absorbing floor vibrations.

Doh, I also have a concrete floor so my feet don't vibrate it a whole lot anyway.

I'll try and have pictures of mine up on my site in the next month or so.

Peace, Josh

I really like the Standesign Base 1 amp stand purchased from audioadvisor.com. Although Audio Advisor does not advertize them, they do sell shelf modules for the Base 1. The shelf modules are very sturdy, you can stack as many as you want on top of the Base 1 and if you want you can cut the legs on the shelf modules to any height you want.

They have 18"x18" shelves that will accomodate deeper gear than most racks. A nice feature is that there are no supports obstructing rear access to equipment connections. I have three of the Base 1 stands and 4 of the shelf modules. If I decide to reconfigure my equipment it's easy to swap the shelf modules around as needed.

If you go to the following http://www.standesign.com/ and look for modular stands you will see this unit. I see they make the shelf modules in 8", 10" & 12" heights, I have the 8" shelf module units. The ones I purchased through Audio Advisor I thought were affordable. I've built my own in the past and I'm convinced stands are not generally overpriced, building your own takes a lot of time!

These units look nice but the flexability and larger shelf size is what has sold me over the long haul. I've reconfigured my system many times and these always work. My old fixed stands have been collecting dust.

Doug C

Lynn - I used 3/4" threaded rod (I can't imagine using 3/8"!!!) because mine has 8 shelves and stands over 6 feet high. I don't recall the thickness of the MDF I used -- seems like it was 5/8". I also used a 4-leg configuration. I have not noticed any problems, but again I'm on a concrete slab.

Wonder if some dynamat on the bottom of the TT shelf would help? Did you put the rubber washers on the shelves also?

Did you Flexy guys use the spray-on vibration absorbtion that the web site suggested? I did not.

I'll have to get some pix up one of these days.

----------------

On 1/6/2003 1:30:21 PM dougdrake wrote:

Lynn - I used 3/4" threaded rod (I can't imagine using 3/8"!!!)

----------------

Yeah well,

It's only three feet high.

I hadn't actually seen pictures or heard of other people doing this until after I had mine built.

And hey, my plywood looks sweet.

Peace, Josh

I built my own , with 3/4 inch black malamine. Complete with adjustable shelves. It's about 6 feet tall in order to house all my components.

Vibration is delt with via black diamond "racing cones" mounted on black diamond " those things" blocks , for my cd player. Plus a mission isoplat for under my dvd player.

my component rack is 3 feet from my k-horn and i never skip a beat no matter what the volume.

The biggest problem with finding a off the shelf rack , is finding one big enough to house all your stuff. Most of them will olny take 4 to 6 components. Mine holds "10"

I think I may have nailed down the problem. I live in a 90 + year old bungalow and the floors are not as level as one would hope - ( sorry Luddites but older is not necessarily better built ) and although I levelled the stand at the spot where it it is placed I somehow managedto get things out of level while trying to tweak and tune. I'll tackle it again on the weekend and hopefully get things operating as advertised.10.gif

Wow ! Thanks for all the replies ! I like the look of the flexi-racks on the tnt audio website - espescially the double one. Definately fits my budget - hey I am laid off right now. Looks rugged, yet very simple to construct, and cheap to boot. Why should I shell out big bucks for something I can build myself ? I had previously liked the looks of a premade tempered glass/mdf concoction from The Brick made by images corp the sr 5000, but they wanted more than I have right now.

1. The brand I bought is Plateau

2. It suited my need and I can add shelves - I like it alot.

3. It was about $339 for the TV rack, $279 for the 4 shelf component rack and $99 for the added 5th shelf.

Free shipping and no sales tax for ordering on internet. I bought from http://www.avfurnishings.com . Not affiliated yada yada yada. They also sell Sanus and Bell'o1.gif

post-8129-13819246090518_thumb.jpg