Jor-EL34 SE Amp Project

Curious_George

I will be happy to help with a BOM, if needed. I like this trend toward DIY projects. I know it isn't for everyone, but some of us will definitely dig it, and it may inspire a new generation. I hope to inspire my 25 y/o grandson. He already has an extensive vinyl collection that emphasizes the 60s and 70s.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Curious_George said:

As you know, the EL34 has tons of history. 

If you want to play with the circuits of the EL34 family of tubes George Anderson has done a lot of the work for you. Look at the charts.  I just build from  someone else's schematic. 

http://tubelab.com/designs/tubelab-sse/applications/

I look forward to following along if you decide to document the building process. 

13 hours ago, CWelsh said:

I will be happy to help with a BOM, if needed. I like this trend toward DIY projects. I know it isn't for everyone, but some of us will definitely dig it, and it may inspire a new generation. I hope to inspire my 25 y/o grandson. He already has an extensive vinyl collection that emphasizes the 60s and 70s.

A BOM would be a big help. If you need anything further to start the BOM, let me know. I've tried to annotate as much info on the schematic as possible. 

By default, I usually spec standard metal film resistors since they are the same price as carbon film nowadays. I also use Rubycon or Nichicon electrolytic caps just because of their reputation and Orange Drops for the 0.22uF/400V coupling cap. 

Nice, have you decided on what you are going to build with those new OPT's? I have some extra Hammond 125dse's I am thinking of doing a SET KT-88 build with. Just thinking, no solid plans what I am going to do with them. Searching through my box of transformers I think I have found an Antek PS transformer I might could possible use. 

Just now, Curious_George said:

Since the transformers I got from Musical Power Supplies (MPS) are only rated at 50mA, I'll have to save them for a 6V6 type tube or a Little Sweetie when I get around to building one. 

Sweetie!!!!!  You will not be disappointed with its sound for a 1 watt amplifier build. You can always tear it down and use the high price iron and big caps on another build only costing a hundred or two to play. 

10 minutes ago, captainbeefheart said:

That schematic shows pentode operation, the screen is tied to B+ not to the plate. Hence the 8 watts output power.

Triode mode one can expect maybe 4 watts.

I was referring to the schematic Nick posted at the start of the thread.  I’m not getting that old😃

Maynard

4 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

I was referring to the schematic Nick posted at the start of the thread.  I’m not getting that old😃

Maynard

Yes I know you were asking for info on the triode strapped version. Just wanted to clarify about the 8 watt original pentode amp.

With a perfect driver (no distortion) the EL34 triode strapped with this operating point will be about 3 watts at 5% THD

Clipping occurs at 4 watts.

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

I can’t imagine getting more than a couple of watts from a 6L6 at the operating point you specified, and would venture that the distortion would be upwards of 8%.  

You were dead on with the triode wired 6L6. I ran the circuit with a 6L6 this time and the results were:

At the same input of 1.2v peak, power out is a hair over 2 watts at over 7% THD.

The EL34 triode strapped does sound pretty good and is the clear winner, well at least for me I'd use the EL34 with this circuit.