Has anyone "Dean'd their Klipsch RF7ii or RC64ii?

TheFiend1

Hey Everyone! 

Its been awhile. Im still rocking my Klipsch RF7ii home theater system. I started getting an itch lately - not sure what it is. Maybe looking to upgrade or improve my system somehow. I started thinking more about my center channel and reading about other systems with 3-way centers. Im pretty sure the RC64ii is just 2-Way and the new RC64iii is 2.5-way. I dont really want to replace my whole speaker system just to have an upgraded center. In fact I quite like the sound that I have - im just wondering if I can refine it and make it even better. Which got me thinking about the Dean crossovers. I purchased a Dean crossover upgrade awhile back for my RF5's and it greatly improved it.

Im curious - has anyone tried this for a center channel? Not sure if Dean does centers. 

1 hour ago, TheFiend1 said:

I started thinking more about my center channel and reading about other systems with 3-way centers. Im pretty sure the RC64ii is just 2-Way and the new RC64iii is 2.5-way.

Kind of interesting upon further investigation the 64-II has the 2.5 tapered array crossover but it appears Klipsch ditched that and went with a basic 2-way on the 64-III- I wonder why?

If you're happy with your hardware (speakers, electronics, and so on), maybe check the acoustics in your room and correct any issues that are messing up your sound.  It doesn't have to be expensive, and it could be the most effective and logical way to get your system performing at its peak.

6 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

the 64-IIi has the 2.5   crossover 

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/RC-64-III_Spec-Sheet-v02.pdf

The sophisticated design of the RC-64 III network attenuates the outer woofers output at higher frequencies to minimize horizontal interference off-axis to the loudspeaker. This maintains a wide and even sound distribution — ensuring each listener hears the center channel information exactly as intended. 

The sophisticated design of the RC-64 III network attenuates the outer woofers output at higher frequencies to minimize horizontal interference off-axis to the loudspeaker. This maintains a wide and even sound distribution — ensuring each listener hears the center channel information exactly as intended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, deang said:

Sorry, I’m not modifying anything anymore. Actually, I stopped doing the newer stuff a few years ago. 

Hey Dean good to hear from you. Congrats on working for Klipsch! I wonder then if its possible to convert the RC64 ii to have the crossover in the iii version to make it a 2.5-way. Could that work or would it introduce some bad side effects? 

• 3 weeks later...

You gain some smoothness but at the expense of dynamics. 

The original RF-7 had an issue with the cones ringing. The mod reduced it, but also put an almost 2dB notch right above the crossover point. It was a unique situation - and assuming it was the right way forward for everything was lazy thinking. 

Michael reverted his RF-7 II’s back to stock. I did one more set, and even though the guy was happy, I stopped doing them. I get weekly requests for ii’s and iii’s and no no no.