Crap, my school is poisoned?

justin_tx_16

My school has had 472 people absent today... Well over 100 left school today. There are only 3600 students in the school! Now I am coughing and feel sick to my stomach. My Calculus class had 6 our of 28 people in it... people are dropping like flies! The health department evacuated the school today when school was released, not allowing teachers to stay in. They turned off the air conditioning to prevent the spreading of the virus.

It is amazing... I am deathly ill and then much better... week later the place I just KNEW would be the death of me... just might be! LoL!

Yeah...I think it could be ebola. From those crazy monkeys in Teaxs. Like in that Outbreak movie. You know your in trouble when the army comes and ropes off your town. Look out. They will shoot you if you try to leave. I believe they are developing some sort of nuclear-related plan for the containment of the virus. I know, I saw it in the movies.

Methinks our friend, Justin, was confusing Ebola hemorrhagic virus with E.coli bacteria...which CAN be lethal(though generally only to those who are elderly or otherwise have a weakened system), but normally is more akin to a stomach/intestinal flu in its actions upon one's body...and is more like a case of food-poisoning. Ebola is a deadly quick-killer that leaves FEW, if ANY survivors!...and if it HAD been Ebola...then Justin's post-count would highly likely be at a FINAL tally right now. 2.gif

Calm Down Folks !

It sounds to me as if Justin's school has been hit with the Norwalk virus. The Norwalk virus is frequently described as stomach flu but that is incorrect as influenza is a respiratory ailment.

Norwalk is characterised by sudden onset - explosive diahorrea - and frequent vomiting - ( often of the projectile variety). The illness often leads to severe dehydration and is very dangerous to the elderly and others who are for some other reason already in poor condition.

The only good news is that in the vast majority of cases it runs its course rapidly and it is common for victims to suffer for only a couple of days before beginning to feel semihuman...

The transmission route is unfortunately fecal-oral. In other words someone takes a dump and doesn't bother washing his/her hands and then handles food or the bathroom doorknob etc and then some other poor schlepkin eats food that has been handled by or been in close proximity to the infected individual. That is why it so frequently runs all the way through some schools a couple of days after "Pizza Day."

The bad news is that you will likely wish that you could just die when it hits but you will likely be really ill for only a day and on day three you might actually find yourself willing to continue living. 9.gif

Actually this has an active cycle of about 21 days. If it is floating around in your school the place should be shut down for a minimum of 14 days - (assuming of course that the bathrooms and kitchens have undergone a thorough disinfection regime).

The reality of course is that the school will reopen on Monday and to hello with the Norwalk virus and people will keep getting sick and eventually the bug will work its way through the student/faculty/family of the school and assuming nobody with any clout raises hell about the fact that this farging virus is actually killing their mothers/gramdmothers etc. It will be business as usual ( unless Dubya gets it into his head that Saddam is behind all of this and then he can justifiably have his very own little war) 11.gif )

Wash your hands every time you have an opportunity and avoid the "Norwalked" as much as you can.