Axpona Chicago 2023

Southern

• 3 months later...

I'll be there on Sunday. I really enjoyed myself last year and was glad to hear the new Jubilees. It was awesome to hear Avantguard Trio and some other serious high end speakers like Focal grand utopia and Wilson Audio. My favorite speaker of Axpona 2022 was Devore Fidelity Super Nines. I've been on a quest ever since to hear more Devore speakers. John Devore is speaking on a panel on Saturday, but unfortunately I can't make it until Sunday. 

• Like 1

For those attending, I would like to read your comments.  I had made plans beforehand and could't attend. 

I looked at who has occupied the larger rooms and it appears that companies are downsizing.  For example McIntosh is sharring a room with other vendors, Kiipsch is up on the 12th floor in a hotel sized room.

Klipsch room on the 12th floor was a bit of a let down after last year's impressive showing. This year the hotel sized room featured the new Sevens and Nines along with the Fives. I spent some time listening to the Nines and was very impressed with the sound. These would be a great solution for someone that wants the big Klipsch sound in a simple and affordable package. Plug in a turntable or digital source or Bluetooth device and your done. The sound was big and better than I expected, the looks and feel are very good. I just hope these don't end up having the issues that other Klipsch internally powered products have had. 

Overall for me the show was not quite as enjoyable as last year due to the crowds. I have gone on Sundays because of my personal issues with large crowds. This year's was defiantly more than last. I just couldn't get into a couple of rooms that I wanted despite multiple tries. I really wanted to hear the Decware 300B amp but couldn't. I also was not patient enough to be able to get in Justin Weber's Ampsandsound room. As always I was impressed with the Avantguard showing. They just sound like what my minds ear thinks music should sound. They are perfect in every configuration I have heard. I also heard some terrific Tannoy in the Up Scale Audio room which were fantastic along with meeting Kat! One of the more disappointing speakers for me were whatever big speakers Focal had on display. I don't remember the model, but they were smaller than the Grand Utopia. They just missed the mark for speakers at that price point IMO. Not a great set up in a big room though. I was also Impressed by big Martin Logan planars in a small room. Thunderous, clear sound. 

Despite my frustration with the crowd, it is well worth the $30 bucks to spend all day listening to gear that I would otherwise never get a chance to or be able to afford. I am lucky that this show is only about 45 minutes from where I live.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, capo72 said:

Klipsch room on the 12th floor was a bit of a let down after last year's impressive showing.

K-Horns on the 6th Floor

Sounded pretty good in the small space

Demos are always difficult at AXPONA

variables are hard to control

Agree 12th floor was good for the Klipsch bookshelf listeners

9s sounded pretty good

I would consider a pair if I had an application for them.

The vast majority of the audio market is smart phones as streaming devices

and now adding record players.

As much as I like to trash this segment

I have to credit them with the rebirth of the quality headphone market

never so many choices of great headgear.

1 hour ago, capo72 said:

I have gone on Sundays because of my personal issues with large crowds.

Near lots filled early Friday and Sat.

1 hour ago, capo72 said:

This year's was defiantly more than last. I just couldn't get into a couple of rooms that I wanted despite multiple tries. I really wanted to hear the Decware 300B amp but couldn't. I also was not patient enough to be able to get in Justin Weber's Ampsandsound room.

Missed both, amps difficult to get into

Ran out of time by 6th floor on Sat

1 hour ago, capo72 said:

I also heard some terrific Tannoy in the Up Scale Audio room which were fantastic along with meeting Kat!

Tannoy sounded weak at best to me, living on rep?

Too many variables for a critical controlled listen

Though others sounded great.

1 hour ago, capo72 said:

One of the more disappointing speakers for me were whatever big speakers Focal had on display. I don't remember the model, but they were smaller than the Grand Utopia. They just missed the mark for speakers at that price point IMO. Not a great set up in a big room though.

Skipped Focal 23, 22 spent some time on them, IMHO over priced,

others sound noticeably better for 20% of the price.

A common theme at the show.

1 hour ago, capo72 said:

I was also Impressed by big Martin Logan planars in a small room. Thunderous, clear sound. 

I also liked them, company on the 6th floor had a stand and subs that rounded them out, apparently selling well.

The ML conventional surround sound speakers at competitive prices, sounded noticeably better than a lot of competitor's $70K speakers. Salesman stated that they had a new design, as opposed to uprev of their 10 year old design. I would put them on my short list for a bake off.

1 hour ago, capo72 said:

Despite my frustration with the crowd, it is well worth the $30 bucks to spend all day listening to gear that I would otherwise never get a chance to or be able to afford. I am lucky that this show is only about 45 minutes from where I live.

I purchased the 2 day pass, and still missed 50% of the gear, walking room to room sampling, stopping at ones that were interesting.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bubo said:

The vast majority of the audio market is smart phones as streaming devices

and now adding record players.

As much as I like to trash this segment

I have to credit them with the rebirth of the quality headphone market

never so many choices of great headgear.

I agree, there is an obvious trend in the Hi-fi market to simplify and cater to new tech. Lots of all-in-one units combining amps into streaming and storage with nice interface and even phono input in some applications. It makes me feel old that I like separate gear and lots of it. It was nice to see the amount of headphone equipment available. It's great to be able to demo $5K headphones. You can buy a car for what some of the hi end headphone rigs go for. I guess it's all about resources and priorities.

• Like 1

I attended Friday and Saturday with my brother-in-law and my grandson. This was the first time at AXPONA for all of us and we definitely weren't as efficient as we could have been, which means we probably missed a lot. The BIL and I had originally planned to attend four or five of the presentations, but only saw Steve Guttenberg and what was supposed to be an introduction to streaming. Guttenberg was fun. The streaming session was a waste of an hour.

My overall impression is that there is a lot of really great audio gear out there. It was a lot of fun listening to absolutely amazing systems costing up to $1.1 million. Lots and lots in the mid-six figure price range. But, those are all just fantasy systems to me. It did bring home to me, however, a sense that my Forte IIIs are an incredible bargain, relatively speaking.

I was very impressed with the new Wharfedale Dovedale speakers (MSRP $7,000/pair), and the PureAudio Project Trio 15 Classic open baffle speakers ($8 - 10K depending on what you choose for the center driver). At 89 and 96dB sensitivity respectively, neither requires ridiculous power to drive them. I would love to be able to try them both side by side with Klipsch options at similar price points.

My other takeaway was that virtually every manufacturer, from top to bottom, was using a streaming device as their main source. They all also had one or more turntables set up, but those were typically only used if someone asked...at least in the demos I heard.

• Like 6

On 4/16/2023 at 10:31 AM, Southern said:

I looked at who has occupied the larger rooms and it appears that companies are downsizing.  For example McIntosh is sharring a room with other vendors, Kiipsch is up on the 12th floor in a hotel sized room.

McIntosh had their own display on the first floor in a large open area rather than in a room. It sounded pretty amazing for just being out in the open.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

McIntosh had their own display on the first floor in a large open area rather than in a room. It sounded pretty amazing for just being out in the open.

That is what I remember from McIntosh from last year.

Unfortunately they didn't bring their dual mono amp. Link Must be a made to order amp.