Possible 1967 KHorn purchase

Oldgoat912

I have been a proud owner of Cornwall II speakers since 1978.  They still sound great to my old ears. However, I have long coveted a set of Klipsch Horns. There is a used equipment store not far from my home that is offering a set of 1967 Klipsch Horns for $ 5500.  I have not yet been to the store, so I have not heard the speakers.  The website says that they are all original.  They offer to upgrade the crossovers with Crites or ALK upgrades.  Is that a smart move? What is a fair price for the upgrade?

Am I insane to consider purchasing these speakers? Is it wise to order an upgrade if they sound OK right now?  Is the asking price reasonable for 1967 speakers in California?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

3 hours ago, Oldgoat912 said:

. There is a used equipment store not far from my home that is offering a set of 1967 Klipsch Horns for $ 5500.  Is that a smart move?  

mid 80's , early 90's khorns  would be  safer to purchase  to avoid undue  expenses , BTW  only Original klipsch crossovers with klipsch capacitors   reproduce  the klipsch sound  and  Factory  parts  are  available  .

there was a set of 83 khorns in super condition that sold Sunday for 3250$  in Omaha  ,  make sure to visit the ALERTS section of the Forum since that where you'll find the best deals .

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/195666812096215/?mibextid=dXMIcH

2 hours ago, Oldgoat912 said:

I have been a proud owner of Cornwall II speakers since 1978.  They still sound great to my old ears.

Keep the Cornwalls as you will regret selling speaker that you have had for so long. 

The 1967s are fine, but for that price, if you are in So Cal, get over here to Las Vegas and buy these. 

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/d/las-vegas-klipsch-klipschorn-kcbr/7579397745.html

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Oldgoat912 said:

I have been a proud owner of Cornwall II speakers since 1978.  They still sound great to my old ears. However, I have long coveted a set of Klipsch Horns. There is a used equipment store not far from my home that is offering a set of 1967 Klipsch Horns for $ 5500.  I have not yet been to the store, so I have not heard the speakers.  The website says that they are all original.  They offer to upgrade the crossovers with Crites or ALK upgrades.  Is that a smart move? What is a fair price for the upgrade?

Am I insane to consider purchasing these speakers? Is it wise to order an upgrade if they sound OK right now?  Is the asking price reasonable for 1967 speakers in California?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

At that price, I would expect those Khorns to be in near mint condition -- I would negotiate hard if you want them.

Thanks for the responses.  I have no intention of selling the Cornwall IIs.  My first introduction to Klipsch speakers was a guy who had the Khorns and a Heresy as a center channel speaker. WOW! I became a Klipsch guy for life.  The Cornwalls were the best that I could afford in 1978 and have been my best buy ever.  I could go for a set of Khorns BUT I don't have a room with two corners to fit the speakers. I will have to build some kind of a stand to act as a back wall.  Also, I don't think I can fit them in my Mini, so I will need to find some for sale in the Sacramento area.

Hope springs eternal.

• Like 1

Hello,

I owned both at home, Cornwall II and Khorns around 70's (AA full alnico).

I first bought Horns and before receiving it, I had an opportunity on Cornwall II. As I was not sure to be able to live with the big Khorn in my living room, I decided to buy the cornwall (just in case).

By the way, with the 2 pairs at home I was able to compare.

The cornwall is a good speaker, but the khorn was offering much more, mainly in the mid and high. More texture, richer tones, more energy.

So if you love cornwall and have an opportunity on Khorn, you should listen it, no doubt.

After your opportunity seems quite expensive, even for Europe.

Best

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Oldgoat912 said:

Is there a forum where folks list KHorns for sale?

There is a section on this forum (for sale, want to buy and an alerts section), as well as what is mentioned above Facebook marketplace and Craigslist.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/forum/63-garage-sale/