Opinions on a possible package trade to upgrade

Jbmorrey

Hello all, current owner of a pair of Klipsch Forte II with a McIntosh 2505 and second setup of MA6200 and Kef LS50. I need to downsize according to the wife to only one setup in my front room and I have the chance to trade away my MA6200, Klipsch Forte II as well as KEF LS50 to get a pair of 1983 Ciara Klipschorn speakers. I think my room might work considering it pretty big, about 16’ X 24’ and I have always dreamed of owning a pair of Klipschorn, as I really like my Forte, I have just ever heard them, do y’all think this is a trade worth considering. I would be left with a Mcintosg MX113, McIntosh 2505 running the Klipschorn. Below is a shot of my space, any thoughts as to the differences I would notice and just how much of an upgrade this would be are appreciated.

also, I am a little concerned about the fact that I have a window on the right wall after the corner, and an open door, the can be closed, on the other wall with the corner, would that ruin the sound and really not an ideal room?

79BF528D-1C9C-4FCA-A541-2F7650B72024.jpeg

Edited by Jbmorrey
Wanted to add another thought
  • Like 3

Others more knowledgeable than me will certainly chime in. It appears that you will be trading ~3500.00-3800.00 worth of used gear to get the khorns. If they are in excellent shape, not a bad deal. 

As for the room, not ideal, but it should work. If you can close the door on the left and put some heavy drapes and/or room treatment over the window, I think you'll be ok. And it looks like  you have some acoustic panels stacked behind the left speaker you can use.

So I'd say welcome to the forum and go for it.

If trading/selling is the only option keep the 6200, let go the 2505. The 6200 is far more rare than the 2505. For that era of McIntosh the 6100 was, is far more common. Your 62 has the 5 band equalizer making it the rare bird. I have a 6200 in a second rig that I waited a long time to find. My two cents - probably not worth a penny - 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Others more knowledgeable than me will certainly chime in. It appears that you will be trading ~3500.00-3800.00 worth of used gear to get the khorns. If they are in excellent shape, not a bad deal. 

As for the room, not ideal, but it should work. If you can close the door on the left and put some heavy drapes and/or room treatment over the window, I think you'll be ok. And it looks like  you have some acoustic panels stacked behind the left speaker you can use.

So I'd say welcome to the forum and go for it.

Thanks for responding. I can close that door, this room used to be our “TV” movie watching room, so the windows actually already have blackout drapes on it that are pretty heavy. I have less than 3k in the used equipment, I just want to know how much better would those Klipschorn be as compared to my forte II, I have just tried out so many different sets of speakers, and am anxious to find an endgame type of speaker.

6 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I have owned Fortes and I have owned Klipschorns. It's not really a contest.

What would you say is the most noticeable difference? I listen mainly to Jazz and vocals, really would like to have something that sounds as real as possible.

11 minutes ago, richieb said:

If trading/selling is the only option keep the 6200, let go the 2505. The 6200 is far more rare than the 2505. For that era of McIntosh the 6100 was, is far more common. Your 62 has the 5 band equalizer making it the rare bird. I have a 6200 in a second rig that I waited a long time to find. My two cents - probably not worth a penny - 

Yea, my only issue with my 6200, is a slightly damaged glass and there is some damage to one of my RCA connection in the rear for tape out, so I would need to do some repairs to it to connect my reel to reel. 

3 minutes ago, Jbmorrey said:

What would you say is the most noticeable difference? I listen mainly to Jazz and vocals, really would like to have something that sounds as real as possible.

Klipschorns just play big. Bigger soundstage and more effortless. Vocals will definitely be more realistic. And horn loaded bass walks all over the bass the Forte is capable of. Both very good speakers, but if one has the room for khorns, that's the way to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jbmorrey said:

Hello all, current owner of a pair of Klipsch Forte II with a McIntosh 2505 and second setup of MA6200 and Kef LS50. I need to downsize according to the wife to only one setup in my front room and I have the chance to trade away my MA6200, Klipsch Forte II as well as KEF LS50 to get a pair of 1983 Ciara Klipschorn speakers. I think my room might work considering it pretty big, about 16’ X 24’ and I have always dreamed of owning a pair of Klipschorn, as I really like my Forte, I have just ever heard them, do y’all think this is a trade worth considering. I would be left with a Mcintosg MX113, McIntosh 2505 running the Klipschorn. Below is a shot of my space, any thoughts as to the differences I would notice and just how much of an upgrade this would be are appreciated.

also, I am a little concerned about the fact that I have a window on the right wall after the corner, and an open door, the can be closed, on the other wall with the corner, would that ruin the sound and really not an ideal room?

79BF528D-1C9C-4FCA-A541-2F7650B72024.jpeg

I would definitely Downsize 

The WIFE. 🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jbmorrey said:

1983 Ciara Klipschorn speakers.  

are you speaking of a modified Khorn with Ciare woofers + HF  drivers ,  if yes , post pictures   because  once a Khorn is modified , who knows ?   what it sounds like ,  are the original parts are included with the sale , if yes  +++ 

Khorns  are HUGE  ,  the Forte II and Khorn are 2 totally different sounding speakers  in more ways than 1  .I would keep the MA6200  , since it  blends very well with a Khorn , and you'll regret selling it .

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OO1 said:

are you speaking of a modified Khorn with Ciare woofers + HF  drivers ,  if yes , post pictures   because  once a Khorn is modified , who knows ?   what it sounds like ,  are the original parts are included with the sale , if yes  +++ 

Khorns  are HUGE  ,  the Forte II and Khorn are 2 totally different sounding speakers  in more ways than 1  .I would keep the MA6200  , since it  blends very well with a Khorn , and you'll regret selling it .

Well, the 6200 is part of the trade if I go through with it. Is the 2505 with the McIntosh mx113 a huge downgrade from the 6200?

I’d stay away from a set of  Klipschorns that have been tampered with ,  as 001 said “ who knows, what they will sound like “ Its a crap shoot, it’s not easy to hotdog in an improvement to a speaker that is arguably one of the finest ever built and designed by  PWK . No offense intended , I’d just look for a nice set of originals. Good luck 🤓

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tom05 said:

I’d stay away from a set of  Klipschorns that have been tampered with ,  as 001 said “ who knows, what they will sound like “ Its a crap shoot, it’s not easy to hotdog in an improvement to a speaker that is arguably one of the finest ever built and designed by  PWK . No offense intended , I’d just look for a nice set of originals. Good luck 🤓

I guess I missed the part where they are modified. If it were me, unless it was a Volti Audio mod package, I'd say El Paso......

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I guess I missed the part where they are modified. If it were me, unless it was a Volti Audio mod package, I'd say El Paso......

The seller has not said anything to me about them being modified. All I know is what I see in pics and he sent me a pic of the rear tag, he said they are from approx 1983.

A9076EDE-39CC-40B0-AA7E-5290A833F4CC.jpeg

0E932739-284F-4C89-B58C-E9D154865E22.jpeg

A8426844-7A9B-4861-9AF9-C62CB0321A85.jpeg

9C08BDC3-0C58-4A6F-92CC-FFD9682477CB.jpeg

• Like 2