Cd Bon-Bons #2

JohnA

I watched The Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon. I heard that the album should be started when the cast run into the Cowardly Lion for the first time. As the lion runs out from the tree he lets out a few roars. I think I started the album with the third roar and the match-up between album and film was unbelievable. I had to wonder if the Floyd Boys did this intentionally or was it just a freaky fluke. Either way, it is interesting, especially for Floyd fans, like me. I think I will watch it again now that my system has been upgraded.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I will like to know is when in

hell pink floyd is going to release some

more dvd's. I'm on my third Pulse video

and now this one is shot. Sorry now that

I got that out of the way Floyd is my

favorite band Dark side of the moon is

got to be the #1 alblum of all time. I

love listing to it in the dark while

happy on the rum. And it doe's sound

better on Klipsch's, The wall rocks

Magnaman, you can get "Pulse" on video cd. Although it is definitely NOT as good as dvd, it won't wear-out like VHS. I have Pulse and Delicate sound of thunder on VCD... It's the best we can do for now. Wish they would get off there can and get busy!!!!! (DVD)

Anyone heard of any Pink Floyd concert DVD's coming out??

MIke

Although it's on VHS HIFI, Roger Waters: The Wall Live In Berlin, is worth a mention. IMHO it includes a great performance of Comfortably Numb. Searched for it on DVD recently, with no luck.

Joe T

I AM NO COUNTRY MUSIC FAN...but...

Earlier in this thread JD McCall mentioned bluegrass which brought to my mind one of the best CD's I've heard lately.

My brother is always trying to get me to listen to country music...which I almost always resist...but he recently introduced me to the music of NICKEL CREEK and I just had to have this CD. Very simple and even traditional arrangement of instruments allowing for a very clean-sharp recording. And these young folks can flat out play their instruments (mandolin, fiddle, guitar, bass)and some of their vocal harmonies had the hair on the back of my neck standing up! There is a good mix of traditional and original material as well as some hints of Celtic? HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Dave

I'll stick my neck out on this one...

For an interesting mix of jazz/fushion/funk/hip-hop/rock, try Liquid Soul. The recording is a combination of studio and live. The horn section brings a tear to me eye. Brings back those Tower of Power happy days. :-)

Tom Adams

Wanna hear a great blues-type recording? Listen to Blues Traveler...four Spectacular quality which is quite unexpected on a bluesy disc. Anybody know of any other good quality blues? Also, Dave Alvin's new one, "Public Domain" is incredible. The title is accurate; all the songs are considered "public domain" and do not require permission to record them. To some, that may be a cheap-*** way to record an album when you don't have any material of your own, but others (like myself) are glad that someone did something like this. I particularly like his version of "Shenandoah." Dave is no great singer, but his voice is like butter through my KLF 30s.

I know that Steely Dan has been bounced around on this and other threads nearly to death. Isn't it amazing that it remains as perhaps the most popular artist used to audition speakers? We should give Donald and Walter a medal or something. If you saw them on either the Grammys this past year, or the induction ceremony into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, you know how much they love receiving awards.Biggrin.gif Before I get too deep into my own ca-ca, I'll get to what I came here for. A friend loaned me, and I burned a copy of Citizen Steely Dan: 1972-1980. It's a four CD box set of everything they put onto album from the beginning through Gaucho. I was already aware of the sonic quality of Aja and Gaucho, but I was quite surprised to hear that the entire boxed set was nearly as good! It is a chronological compilation, and you can hear the sonic quality improve as the money available to produce their music increases, and as their clout as pop-jazz icons becomes more apparent. Curious though, is you will occasionally hear a sonic dud, and this puzzles me. One of my favorite Dan tunes "My Old School" makes my KLF 30s sound like I have the old Radio Shack speakers with whizzer cones. I don't understand how the producer would let one song on an album sound inferior to the others! I have several copies of that great song, and they all sound like crap, even heard on the great K Horn! Oh well, that notwithstanding, the box set is an essential for Dan fans, and I think most K owners will appreciate the recording quality.

Tom Adams

Liquid Soul is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!! I got the CD "Here's The Deal" yesterday (among others recommended here and elsewhere) to use as possible demo music. WOW!!!!! We played it through the RF-7's we just got here and the house was rocking! The dynamics, detail and imaging added to the talent of this band makes this CD a new favorite. You're right, jazz, funk,soul,fusion,rock...and a killer horn section..it reminds me of one of my all time favorite live albums Little Feat, "Waiting For Columbus"...with tons more energy. Oh, and about the RF-7's...you all better hit your nearest dealer in the next few weeks when these arrive for an audition. I don't care if you're a Reference fan, a Legend fan or a Heritage fan...you're gonna have a big smile on your face when you hear these!

PhilH

Gonna toss one in here that is a little different. Check out Esteban (that's the artist's name) at www.estebanmusic.com. My wife and I heard him (and his band) play the old tune Runaway live at the Hyatt near hear, and it blew me away. His band plays mostly covers of other songs, but they range all over the board. It's some wonderful guitar backed up with violin, percussion, etc... I think there are some music samples at the web site also. The disk I got (Pasion) is fully digital (which some may think is a BAD thing) so it is dead quiet.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

PhilH -

Just saw your post about my Liquid Soul recommendation. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Did you also get their first release? The title is just "Liquid Soul". Personally, I kinda like it better than their second CD. Anyhow, I'd love to see these guys live - especially the trumpet & sax dudes. Can they wail or what??

Shifting gears, for those of you into computer generated graphics mated to well scored music, check this site out:

http://www.odyssey3d.com/store.html

I've got a couple of DVD's and they're sa-weet.

Tom Adams

Tom:

I also bought Liquid Soul's "Make Some Noise" but didn't like it near as much as "Here's The Deal". I'll look for that first one. It sounds like they might be from the Chicago area since I've heard "thank you Chicago" at the end of some of the live tunes. Man, I'd make the 2 hour drive up there to see them live. It's been awhile since the "Tower of Power" horns have been here in Indy, and a dose of Liquid Soul would take care of that void.

PhilH

PhilH -

Got this just for you <grin> from the Liquid Soul Website:

CHICAGOANS, we haven't forgotten about our old stomping grounds! Home-town gigs are booked for Sunday May 27 at the DOUBLE DOOR and Sunday June 3 at 115 BOURBON STREET in Marrionette Park. Plus we're playing a special benefit concert on Wednesday May 30 (venue changed to NEVIN'S LIVE in Evanston) to raise funds for riders in the Heartland Twin Cities AIDS Ride. JUST ADDED: NORTH CHICAGO/Great Lakes Music Festival, Sun. June 17.

If you go, I be jealous. :-)

Tom Adams

This cd might be old and originally came out on vinyl, but, try Michael Franks' "Passion Fruit".

Still looking for my dream Mac C-40.....

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

Carver C-1 (But want a McIntosh!)

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette (maybe being mothballed)

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Mr. Blorry,

I got the limited edition 24 ct gold Tricycle disc. Nice recording but seemed to be recorded at too low a level. Have to crank it up past 1'oclock to really make the horns sing. On most recordings 1'oclock will put you acress the street. Bad pressing?