Affordable, Integrated Stereo Tube Amp

PHIL O

I think what mobile means is read the history in the forum.

ideas

Vintage

---------

Eico HF-81

Scott 299, 222 or LK something or other

Fisher X100

New

---

AES super amp

decware has options

If you get a vintage it is only wise to get it to a tech to check it out for leaky caps and such before ever hooking it up to your speakers.

These are hints.

There is a ton in the 2 channel forum to study and learn.

If confused; then ask specific detailed questions.

If you study enough you can get a sense from the person who comments if the voicing of the amp has the potential to be to your liking.

I do not know squat compared to some but be patient and keep listening.

Good Luck!

Rick

I take it that no one around here recommends those Jolida integrated tube amps 502b and 302b etc.? They come up almost immediately if one does a google search for "integrated tube amp". I have seen fairly positive reviews of them online. They are without phono section and have no headphone jack. I noticed a neighbor around here, having nothing to do with me, just bought one of these.

c7s

Phil just get you a scott 299a off of e-bay,send it to Craig to have him go over it and perform his magical touch and you will have yourself one nice intergrated tube amp. You will end up having in and around 500 bucks in it.Case closed

I second that emotion, though I can only say the 222D I have sounds great compared to my SS equipment. That's about $1000 of amp and pre-amp vs Scott integrated at almost half that price. More defined bass, warmer vocals, and peeeeeeelenty of power with the Scotty!

....Or you could get a Fisher 500C receiver...built like a tank with 37 watts per channel, all tube (7591A output tubes with massive output transformers) that has a very good pre-amp section & an excellent FM tube tuner!

I have one hooked up to a pair of Heresy II's, a cheap Teac CD player & a turntable...what sound. No new solid state combo (within the price range) comes barely close to the sound of the system!

My $0.02,

Pete

c&s, the little Jolida 302B is a nice little modern integrated and an ok buy used. I would not pay the money for a new one, however. If one doesnt want to mess with going the vintage route and the updates to the caps and possible labor involved, then the Jolida 302B is a good alternative.

Of course, you can upgrade the Jolida too.... With a volume pot upgrade and bypass of the medicre balance pot, many have said VERY nice things. An upgrade to HEXFREDs in the PS is another mention. Even stock, it's a nice amp. I had one here for almost a year off and on. Does better with upgraded tubes as well, epsecially the front end tubes. Is about the easiest to BIAS as any amp around provided you have a VOM.

IT does not have tube rectification, which I think is better. And the vintage iron is very nice. But is is an alternative.

kh

How about the nOrh Se-9 integrated amp for $399 shipped.

It is a EL 34 based amp with two imputs and volume control.

I think I am going to get one to get into tubes with the Fortes I just bought.

Colin has tested one of these but I have not seen a full review.

www.norh.com