3 way passive crossover for Jubilee

babadono

Another member is selling a pair of 3 way Jubilees(clone bass bin) and he says it has a Klipsch built 3 way passive crossover. How are all the PEQ filters and time alignment of drivers addressed in a passive crossover?

I may be wrong but it looked like the cinema 3-way PC board version.  If this is what it is then it was probably designed for behind the screen.

On my 3-way underground Jubs I have the 2-way passive PC board version for just the 402/510 and that is what it is.  I never used it so I don't know how it sounds.

2 hours ago, babadono said:

Another member is selling a pair of 3 way Jubilees(clone bass bin) and he says it has a Klipsch built 3 way passive crossover. How are all the PEQ filters and time alignment of drivers addressed in a passive crossover?

Roy would have to chime in here for accurate information about the cinema systems mono-operation with passive crossovers.

I believe there will be “real limitations (even though it can still sound very good)” in a Passive Network System (to achieve the mono-amp operation) versus an Active DSP Crossover System when it comes to optimizing the Loudspeaker as well as the System/Room Optimization. I’ve heard Roy say in the past that even some of the DSP  Program recommendations are a starting point for them to then fine tune the loudspeaker/room installation.

Cinema Brochure (2016)

cinema-2016-brochure-v03.pdf

KPT-Jubilee 535-B (Bi-Amp) Data Sheet

KPT-JUBILEE535-B-Data-Sheet-v05.pdf

miketn

Page 7 from the brochure talking about passive options for some of the systems.

IMG_4027.thumb.jpeg.8b2de064cb4e1bcc00e2e048a15f377a.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

I may be wrong but it looked like the cinema 3-way PC board version.  If this is what it is then it was probably designed for behind the screen.

On my 3-way underground Jubs I have the 2-way passive PC board version for just the 402/510 and that is what it is.  I never used it so I don't know how it sounds.

Mark….. I believe you are probably correct as far as the behind the screen tuning.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 2:49 PM, mikebse2a3 said:

DSP  Program recommendations are a starting point for them to then fine tune the loudspeaker/room installation.

Not meaning to get off track, but that is one thing that always drew me to active crossover,  solely based on the idea that it may perform well in testing environments, but may not always be ideal for all home environments.  That being said, unless you truly understand how to tweak these systems, this can be cumbersome. 

17 hours ago, The Dude said:

Not meaning to get off track, but that is one thing that always drew me to active crossover,  solely based on the idea that it may perform well in testing environments, but may not always be ideal for all home environments.  That being said, unless you truly understand how to tweak these systems, this can be cumbersome. 

I agree that there is a learning curve with Active DSP (which like any powerful tool can be used for good or bad) and that is part of what has always drawn me into this hobby was that I enjoy the challenges of learning and experiencing new things. While I like reading and learning from others the real fun and understanding comes from actually experiencing something myself. The active DSP approach is an awesome tool that gives me a playground that helps me understand how we hear and experience sounds. 

miketn 🙂

Yes those are behind the screen XO's.  I've owned more than one pair of those for these systems.  They do work in the home but you will need an out board EQ.  It doesn't have to be digital either......I was able to get by with Minimal slider EQ adjustments.   Mainly you will have to tone down some of the Higher frequencies.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2023 at 12:06 PM, jwc said:

Yes those are behind the screen XO's.  I've owned more than one pair of those for these systems.  They do work in the home but you will need an out board EQ.  It doesn't have to be digital either......I was able to get by with Minimal slider EQ adjustments.   Mainly you will have to tone down some of the Higher frequencies.

Yes this was my experience as well.