Klipsch UG Jubilee vs. KPT 942

diamonddelts

Has anyone heard both? I know they were displayed next to each other at the mfr in Hope, Arkansas some years back. I am looking for impressions of the bass quality with music from the KPT 942s. I am sure they hit a bit heavier than the UG Jubilee bass bins. But does the KPT 904 bass seem less accurate than the UG Jubilee?

Been too long for me to remember accurately but I seem to recall thinking the FOUR driver bass bin (942 has two drivers I think?)  The larger brother with 4 drivers, seemed (to my beer & peanuts way of thinking) "kept up" with the UG Jubilee better than any other.

I do think we listened to the 942 but....been too long.

I don't think I'd kick the 942's outta bed for playing Marie Osmond.

I owned 942’s for a couple years and really liked them. I’ve never heard the UG Jubilee, but bought the 942’s from a guy that heard both in Hope. He preferred the 942’s. I think he said most preferred the UG’s. I sold the 942’s and bought another pair of La Scala’s. I think I could live with only La Scala’s for the rest of my life, but if I ever “upgrade” again, it will be Jubilee’s. 

6 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I owned 942’s for a couple years and really liked them. I’ve never heard the UG Jubilee, but bought the 942’s from a guy that heard both in Hope. He preferred the 942’s. I think he said most preferred the UG’s. I sold the 942’s and bought another pair of La Scala’s. I think I could live with only La Scala’s for the rest of my life, but if I ever “upgrade” again, it will be Jubilee’s. 

Thank you for your comments 

20 hours ago, Marvel said:

@nickyboy6100

How did they sound compared to the MWMs?

MWM’s are the best speakers I’ve had so far. They are just so big. The bass is like a La Scala times 10 and deeper. Or at least it seems a lot deeper. I’d be curious how Jubilee’s compare to double MWM bins with a K-402 on top. I think that would be the ultimate comparison. 
Bruce, to answer your question, I would take the MWM’s over the KPT-942’s any day. Hope everything is well with you my friend. 

1 hour ago, nickyboy6100 said:

I’d be curious how Jubilee’s compare to double MWM bins with a K-402 on top. I think that would be the ultimate comparison. 

Just like the Jubilee might crush the LaScala.....the MWM's -vs- UG Jubilee's...... 

2 hours ago, babadono said:

And the S-MWM will whip 'em both.

Hmmm... perhaps they used 3" bose drivers in them when you heard the double bins?

:ph34r:

When I had my singles outside (I only had two of them) I wired them up with the 402 atop.  As I plugged in the second bass bin, it pretty much sounded pathetic.  Oops....seems some oaf had changed polarity INSIDE the bass bin (not me, yes, there is another oaf out there somewhere)

Pulled the wire back out, taking me back to the single bin....reversed wire, plugged in.....  I'll admit, I WAS waiting for a 'happening'.....  but all that really happened is the bass got a little bit meatier.  No flashbulbs going off, no fireworks BUT, you could easily discern when the second bin was playing (this was outside)

I would have to think that inside that extra oomph would not be significant but, will admit, never had them inside to find out 

Always fun playing with this stuff! 

1.thumb.jpg.afc656830115723aeedfa18e197de004.jpg

I always get a kick out of this next picture as it starts to give a sense of scale to those who think a LaScala is "big"  Then you can see the K402 is LxW actually LARGER than the LaScala.  (that K77 looks so puny)

"Ha ha...my speaker is bigger than your speaker"

"Well....my tweeter is bigger than your entire speaker!"

(walks away with tail tucked)

Stack2.thumb.jpg.b141df32a7a5ddcd74874620f5b94092.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Bruce, to answer your question, I would take the MWM’s over the KPT-942’s any day. Hope everything is well with you my friend

I think you weren't a block away with the MWMs and I regretted selling them.

I'm doing ok, hopefully done with treaments of any kind.

I have JWC's Snails, with four 12 inch woofers for them, other parts, amps and electronic crossover. Just inchimg towards the goal, gathering other small incidentals for the project.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

I'm definitely looking into purchasing a pair of mwm's if I get the size media room I am looking for.

here's the MCM 1900 system + klipsch  passive crossover 

I have a Klipsch MCM 1900 4-way system with a noteworthy ...

A pair of MWMs with a K-402 makes for a simple killer system.

@babadono 

If by S-MWM you mean DaveA's

Super MWM, perhaps, but that isn't Klipsch. The S-MWM is the Klipsch Single MWM, the easier to handle model. The standard dual 15 is better. Dtel built four of the singles, topped by K-402 horns. He also has one of only five of the 1502 Klipsch subs sitting between them.

You won't really lose much using the singles. And having the MWMs, it gets the horn up to a good height.

9 hours ago, babadono said:

ok what is "the goal"?

Well. I shouldn't talk much about it here. The 'goal' is the Snails on the bottom. BMD750 (K69/A) on selenium horns, with a DBX Venue360 and a couple Crown amps. The snails should go lower than the MWMs and actually fit the room better.

I could easily and happily go back to a pair of LaScalas, though.

On 6/17/2023 at 9:30 AM, Marvel said:

Well. I shouldn't talk much about it here. The 'goal' is the Snails on the bottom. BMD750 (K69/A) on selenium horns, with a DBX Venue360 and a couple Crown amps. The snails should go lower than the MWMs and actually fit the room better.

I could easily and happily go back to a pair of LaScalas, though.

It took me a lot of time and money to realize La Scala’s are about as good as it gets. For me, at least. 

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, delta88343 said:

In lieu of much more expensive recommendations, for now I just replaced the k77 with the Selenium d220ti and the Faital sth100 horns.

First off, the d220ti has a sensitivity of about 112db/watt in the tweeter bandpass above 5k. So you must make sure you pad it down at least 8db to match the sensitivity of 104db/watt of the k77 for a pair of khorns.

The d220ti is orders of magnitude smoother than the k77. By comparison, the k77 simply sounds raspy compared to the d220ti and faital horn. Initially it sounds like their is no high end on the 220/Faital combo but it is there, just a hell of alot cleaner without the raspiness.

Now, part of that raspiness impression might be due to the fact that the faital horn will play frequencies down to 1.5k and the k77 horn unloads below 6k.

Therefore, the sounds coming out of the faital horn cover a much broader low end range than the k77 horn and matches the voicing of the midrange horn exceptionally well so the sound between the 2 drivers blend into 1 coherent source.

I have a pair of baby cheek horns, those that were on the beyma cp25 that I'll be testing the drivers on, but regardless I think the faital is a superior horn since it's a tractrix. But part of the lush sound of the cp25 may have been due to the horn as well. I'll find out soon enough.

Regardless, replacing the k77 with the d220ti/faital combination is a very significant upgrade in the overal sound for just $300. 

What does that have to do with OP's old question about a bass bin comparison in where one that generates distortion and one that controls Inter dist?

3 minutes ago, Schu said:

What does that have to do with OP's old question about a bass bin comparison in where one that generates distortion and one that controls Inter dist?

I think this is a duplicate post in the wrong thread.