Havent been running tubes

Jim Cornell

LOL-I hear ya and I'm in the same boat except we have two incomes, which doesn't help much considering what we had to pay for our house here in super-expensive southern California. Thank goodness the H/K I have doesn't suck too much power! Or does it? Hey, how come that litter disc on my meter outside spins as fast as a CD whenever I push the power button on my receiver?! I'd better not let my wife see it or she'll limit me to listening to just one track per day or something!

My system has about 40 some-odd tubes in it and they're all cooking whenever I'm listening (about 15-20 hours per week on average):

AMPS:

4 WE 350B power tubes

4 12ax7

2 12au7

2 12bh7

2 U52/5U4G

PREAMP:

6 CV4004

CD PLAYER:

6 CV2493

Plus the tuner has these:

6DS4, 12AT7, 6BN4A, 4-6AU6, 6CS6, 6HU6/EM87, 6BN8, 2-6BL8, 6U8, 12AU7.

That's 44 tubes. I once figured it cost me about 10-12 bucks a month to run my hi-fi. Today that might be 20 bucks.

I can't really believe anyone here doesn't have 20 bucks a month to run their system. Turn off the dishwasher and wash your dishes by hand and you'll have the money. Or shave 20 bucks from somewhere else.

If music is important to you, this is the worst kind of false economy. ENJOY YOUR LIFE!

I love the power co! If you ever want to get screwed, move to western NY. I live 25 min. from one of the world's largest sources of cheap power (Niagara Falls), and pay over $.14/kWH, and 3 miles from a very modern generator facility (AES Somerset). They send all the cheap power downstate to the a-holes in NYC & LI(no offense, really, I'm just mad at our politicians) and make us buy from a coal-fired dinosaur in Syracuse. BTW, most decent (Whirlpool/KitchenAid) dishwashers will use far less energy than handwashing ~7 gallons/load. Also national average for electricity is $.0842/kWH. (sorry for all the parenthetical statements)2.gif

Hey bclark,

The power from your frozen waterfall doesn't go to NYC or LI, where, by the way, the hardest working "real" New Yorkers fuel the entire NYS & probably Northeast economy. Long Island gets its power from 5 central plants on Long Island, fueled from domestically produced, natural gas...not by the acid rain-forming coal you guys use!

Blame National Grid, the British Company, who bought out the Executive-rich Niagra Mohawk rip-off power company.

And by the way, $0.15 per kWh may be considered high, but it's still cheap! That's running ten, 100 watt lightbulbs for 1 hour... a measily 15 cents!!!! Gimme a break!!!

Use your tube amps & Enjoy!!!!!

Audios,

Pete

Mike82 is right. Shut down your fridge, your heat, all your lights, and turn your tube gear on. The food will stay cold because the heat will remain off. And no space heaters! Bundle up with a parka and lots of wool blankets. Let your tube equipment keep you warm and cozy with its soothing sounds. After the tubes really warm up, maybe you can shed a blanket or two.

Get a grip, man! You said you paid $1000 for your tube gear...don't look at it like its a museum piece, turn it on, warm it up, and listen! To hell if the power meter outside is spinning like a top! Life's too short to worry about kwh...an average consumer uses about 1000 kwh a month...my useage is about 1555 a month at roughly .09 cents an hour...I'm paying about $139 not including water and waste etc. (this is during the winter months in central FL...in the summer with the AC on full blast, my total electric bill runs up to about $350 a month. This sucks when you're a starving artist, but I'm not going to give up my one true love...listening to my favorite music)!

I see you've turned your system on. That's the spirit! Now go forth and enjoy the music.