Well Pump Died.... help with capacitor

Coytee

This happened 10/15 years ago....well just died.  Turned power off, looked at some of the things and (at that time) the contacts were fried....so slapped a new set in and after turning power back on, all was well.

Pump died again several years later....  pressure gauge contacts looked fine....kept poking around and the starter motor capacitor (might not be the correct name) was toast.  It was housed in a controller box.

Went to store, bought replacement....and the replacement was (let's say) one inch too long.  BACK to store, bought slightly shorter replacement (with original in hand) and all was well.  (pun not intended!)

Today, water dies.  Contacts still look strong, breaker fine, fuse at pressure tank  fine.  I start to eyeball the capacitor.  Just so happens I have the prior one that's too large.  On a gander, crammed it into the space and vi-ola, I now have water.   So seems it died again.

Brings me to my question....  it is 88-108 uF  As I look online to attempt to see if the box stores even mention this, I start to see 86-103 uF, 161-193 uF and this got me wondering.....  how exact must the uF be?

I'm certainly going to try to find an exact replacement....  Size will be important as it has to fit in the box!  If I can't find the exact 88-108 uF, is it better to go larger or smaller?  It's been probably 50 years since I had 'electric shop' in Jr. High School....  so recall very little other than liquid solder is usually HOT!!!  :)

Stores are closed tonight, I'm working 7-5 tomorrow non stop at home so will likely send the wife to store with old unit in hand.  The physical dimensions will be critical as it has to fit....otherwise, how much wiggle room do I have on the uF numbers?

(or are those the ones of concern?)

8 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Jet pump Or Sibmetdiblr

No clue.  If I recall, I think it's hanging down around 300', if that helps.

6 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I’m just curious if you’ll notice any difference in how it sounds after you replace the capacitor…

budda-boom.....

:emotion-21:

11 hours ago, Coytee said:

This happened 10/15 years ago....well just died.  Turned power off, looked at some of the things and (at that time) the contacts were fried....so slapped a new set in and after turning power back on, all was well.

Pump died again several years later....  pressure gauge contacts looked fine....kept poking around and the starter motor capacitor (might not be the correct name) was toast.  It was housed in a controller box.

Went to store, bought replacement....and the replacement was (let's say) one inch too long.  BACK to store, bought slightly shorter replacement (with original in hand) and all was well.  (pun not intended!)

Today, water dies.  Contacts still look strong, breaker fine, fuse at pressure tank  fine.  I start to eyeball the capacitor.  Just so happens I have the prior one that's too large.  On a gander, crammed it into the space and vi-ola, I now have water.   So seems it died again.

Brings me to my question....  it is 88-108 uF  As I look online to attempt to see if the box stores even mention this, I start to see 86-103 uF, 161-193 uF and this got me wondering.....  how exact must the uF be?

I'm certainly going to try to find an exact replacement....  Size will be important as it has to fit in the box!  If I can't find the exact 88-108 uF, is it better to go larger or smaller?  It's been probably 50 years since I had 'electric shop' in Jr. High School....  so recall very little other than liquid solder is usually HOT!!!  :)

Stores are closed tonight, I'm working 7-5 tomorrow non stop at home so will likely send the wife to store with old unit in hand.  The physical dimensions will be critical as it has to fit....otherwise, how much wiggle room do I have on the uF numbers?

(or are those the ones of concern?)

I’ll just say you are lucky to know how to fix it at all. I have one that hadn’t been on in years and was relieved when I discovered all my pipes were busted. I was worried the pump may not work. Good luck!

4 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Well 95% probability the pump motor is shot---bearings, etc.

JJK

Why would you say that?

He said it started working as soon as he put the new capacitor on it, it’s just the wrong size physically so he can’t close the cover.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Invidiosulus said:

Why would you say that?

He said it started working as soon as he put the new capacitor on it, it’s just the wrong size physically so he can’t close the cover.

Too much friction, too hard to start. Saying that it is working covers a broad spectrum. Does it run fast/?Slow? medium? Hot? Winding shorted? Make noise?. I had a garage door opener that did the same thing with three capacitors. A new garage door opener did the trick. He needs a new pump /motor.

JJK

• Like 2

Update:  Wife has been doing laundry today....  "so far" pump is keeping up with demand.  Interestingly, when I shake the capacitor, there is a faint rattle inside of it....so something is loose.  Rattled the "new" one (that is too large) and there are no rattles.

Looked them up and it's probably 25 miles away to find one and I'm working all day so I simply ordered two of the same unit.  Coming from  Grainger, will take a couple days but a 2-minute fix when arrive.  By having an extra, I can throw this too large one away and have a spare.  They're only like $20 so not a big deal....  in fact, very cheap compared to having it blow and no replacement on hand.  At least I'm hobbling along for a day/three.

I rue the day when the pump dies.  it's very easy to get to but, the wife, wanting to hide it, planted a nice bush (which is now huge) next to it.  If the pump (when?) needs replaced, that bush will probably need replaced as well because it's totally in the way of access.

Still....  if this is a fix, I'm good to go.  If it blows in 1-45 days then I start knowing that I might have other issues.

I do like my well...  I think it's rated at 109 gallons/minute....  not that i can ever extract it that fast.

• Like 1