Check speaker wire message.

Svedkadrpepper

I have a pair of RF-7-III with an RC-64-III for my front sound stage, I forget exactly what my side and rear surrounds are. Anyway, yesterday I was watching the dark night and the receiver displayed check speaker cable and shut off. I turned it back on, and it did not do it again and I didn't change anything else.

Looking online makes it sound like a short circuit somewhere , but there is no damaged part of wire and I'm using banana plugs, so no wires are touching. I was watching at reference volume though and I've heard that the RF 73 have a very low impedance dip at certain frequencies and volumes. Could this be the issue? The receiver is a Yamaha a 2080.

20 minutes ago, Svedkadrpepper said:

I was watching at reference volume though and I've heard that the RF 73 have a very low impedance dip at certain frequencies and volumes. Could this be the issue? The receiver is a Yamaha a 2080.

It could be. Check your service manual where it tells you how to connect your speakers and see if it says if you can connect 4ohm speakers ( on Denon models it's where that info is). 

I'll hazard a guess and suggest one of your channels' output transistors is beginning to short out.

Or, if your speaker cables are running in an attic or wall, something has chewed on the wiring.

If it were an open circuit issue it would be easy to prove; just disconnect one speaker and see if

any message displays.

What you can do is turn off your system and disconnect each speaker one at a time so you don't lose

track of which wire goes where.

Using a volt meter, measure the resistance of each pair of wires with the speaker attached.

You should read something close to the speaker's rated impedance (4, 6, or 8 ohms perhaps), plus a little bit for the wire

resistance. By comparing all the speakers' readings, you might find one unusually low or high.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 2:14 PM, Zen Traveler said:

It could be. Check your service manual where it tells you how to connect your speakers and see if it says if you can connect 4ohm speakers ( on Denon models it's where that info is). 

I don't have the manual anymore but a little google fu brought me to the owners thread for the avr on avsforum, and I'm 99% sure now this was a case of asking an amplifier to do too much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Svedkadrpepper said:

I'm 99% sure now this was a case of asking an amplifier to do too much. 

the  RF-7 III's  have a 250 wpc rating @8 Ohms  ,  in Stereo . 2ch driven  the RX-A2080  only delivers 140 wpc @8 Ohms   ,