New to forum, need first aid advice

KB Kanada

Hello, you must be rocking those speakers nicely to skip a CD.

Not to spend your money for you, BUT… a Bluesound Node would be a cheap ticket to a world of tunes you probably forgot you loved and they don’t skip. It may just be me, but Spotify seems to sound better now than it did three years ago when I first tried it and stayed with CDs. I rarely play them now, unless the internet is dodgey. 

If you fried the woofer, Gentec International is just off the 407 at Warden in Markham and can set you up with new K-33s. 

Where’s the cottage? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KB Kanada said:

Cottage Buckhorn way 

Wow, small world!  I used to date a woman who lived in Toronto and Buckhorn.  There were some memories!

Second, those Klipschorns are magnificent speakers that deserve to be in corners of honour in your home!  Surprisingly, since they are meant to fit tightly into the corners of the room, they don't take up as much floor space as you would expect.  Sure, some Forum members have pretty high end systems in their shops or garages, but their home systems are better still.  Wouldn't you want to be able to hear your Khorns every day, rather just when you get a chance to visit them? 

If you really like the Heritage sound, there are quite a few other models in the series that are smaller and less expensive, but still have that great classic Klipsch sound, and are much more flexible in terms of room location.  The La Scalas are the first step, and use the same drivers as the Khorns, for the same realistic mids and highs, but need a sub or two to match the bass output of the Khorns.  Next come the Cornwalls, which can be placed in a corner or along a wall, thus the name.  Seriously.  Paul Klipsch had a sense of humour.  The Fortes (For-tays) are "typical speakers" size, about 12 x 16 x 36" tall, and have a very smooth frequency response, with strong bass, due to their passive bass driver, which assists the woofer.  The smallest and least expensive option is the Heresy. It got its name because it was the first Klipsch speaker that was not all horn-loaded.

All of those speakers will remind you of your Klipschorns while you're at the cottage, and since it will be much easier to position them as recommended for best sound, you'll be able to hear them at their best. 

All those alternate Heritage Series speakers are available new or used, in various states of excellence or neglect, so it's a big market out there.  Unlike other speakers, the Klipsch Heritage speakers have woofers with doped-paper surrounds, which last indefinitely.  This is in contrast to most speakers, which usually have lightweight foam surrounds, which dry up and start to fall apart after only 20 years or so.  This means that used Klipsch Heritage speakers are usually a safe buy, and hold their value more than other brands.

As a general rule, the newer the speakers are, the better they sound, since the Klipsch engineers are constantly working to upgrade them.  For example, the Heresy came in H700 (the first models, in 1957, also the world's first centre speaker), to the Heresy, the Heresy II, the Heresy III, and now the Heresy IV, the latest model.  The post-1985 Heresy IIs can be updated to the Heresy III, with the inexpensive factory kit that comes with almost everything in the speaker.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 4:20 PM, babadono said:

Once sorted and fixed I personally would turn the speakers upside down. Get the mids and highs closer to ear level and get that bass horn up into the ceiling/wall corner. Just my $0.02. You may or may not like it but it is worth trying. IMHO.

There were pics posted, years ago, where khorns were mounted upside down in the ceiling corners, just as if the room was upside down. It might have been in a club. Don't ask me how to do it, it would take some logical thinking. (Not that I don't have some ideas.... actually pretty simple.

The first pair of Heresys I recall hearing were inverted up in the corners of a bar I was servicing. 

I had listened to Creedance Clearwater Revival on vinyl, 8-track, cassette, and CD but never heard what I did before that day.

I was hooked.

• Like 2