Pair of LaScalas in Denver for $750.

archdukeobvious

46 minutes ago, archdukeobvious said:

Well, since they're still available, I'm going to take a look at them tonight. The seller says there are some stands for them for an extra $150. I wonder if they are some bass extenders and the seller doesn't know much about the speakers? 

Could be... good fortune.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, archdukeobvious said:

Well, since they're still available, I'm going to take a look at them tonight. The seller says there are some stands for them for an extra $150. I wonder if they are some bass extenders and the seller doesn't know much about the speakers? 

Another thing, make certain 5he bottom woofer access panels included, of course.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OO1 said:

these LS   speakers were made in  1978 , the cabinets are not perfect , but  needing  a finish  refresh , serial numbers are not consecutive 

I don't think that having consecutive serial numbers is as important as we sometimes hear.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that only Klipschorns were sold as definite pairs, while for other models, including La Scalas, the shipper would grab two random speakers with no regard to serial numbers when they left the factory.

it's  important  for an even finish and bookmatched veneer , I recently saw a pair of  70th Khorns  ,  the serial numbers were 1 digit off ,    the veneer was the same type , but cosmetically the   speakers were mismatched , and it was quite visible 

10 minutes ago, OO1 said:

it's  important  for an even finish and bookmatched veneer , I recently saw a pair of  70th Khorns  ,  the serial numbers were 1 digit off ,    the veneer was the same type , but cosmetically the   speakers were mismatched , and it was quite visible 

As I said, the Khorns may be the only speakers, along with Heritage Jubilees, that are sold as matched pairs.

In 1970 I moved up from graduate student poverty to postdoc wealth. About that time my mono 24W Knight 5881 amplifier's transformer died. My first reaction was to find another mono amplifier after not finding a replacement transformer. However, stereo was now "the thing". I built a Heathkit receiver, but couldn't find another University 12-inch triax speaker to match the Aristocrat knock-off I'd built as a teenager. So I started auditioning speakers at audio stores in Syracuse. Nothing impressed me until I stumbled upon Klipschorns at a store on the northside of town. That ended the search, but at $884 each I could only afford one. Klipsch promised to hold the second one for me until I could save up for it. My pair matches in appearance, but the serial numbers are not sequential. I assume the second serial number was issued when the second one shipped. Still satisfied with the sound after all these years. A year ago I built an Elekit 8600s kit and put Western Electric 300B tubes in it. It's sweet listening to my old ears.

• Like 3

I ended up getting them for asking price. Overall they weren't in too bad of shape, way better than my previous pair that came from a high school in the middle of nowhere. 

The seller didn't bring the "stands" but says they were the same size as the LaScalas. I'm not sure what those could be and we'll see if he ends up sending any pictures of them. Perhaps they're full bass bins or maybe they really are just a custom stand?

I'm not really sure what the provenance of these LaScala's are. All we know is that he couldn't store them anymore and he had to get rid of them. 

Screenshot_20230907_221214_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20230907_221254_Photos.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, archdukeobvious said:

I ended up getting them for asking price. Overall they weren't in too bad of shape, way better than my previous pair that came from a high school in the middle of nowhere. 

The seller didn't bring the "stands" but says they were the same size as the LaScalas. I'm not sure what those could be and we'll see if he ends up sending any pictures of them. Perhaps they're full bass bins or maybe they really are just a custom stand?

I'm not really sure what the provenance of these LaScala's are. All we know is that he couldn't store them anymore and he had to get rid of them. 

Congrats... with labels !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, archdukeobvious said:

@archdukeobvious texted me yesterday and asked if I'd tag along for the meet.  I brought an amp and played some tunes to check them out, and gave him the thumbs up.  I knew he needed a place to store them for a while so I offered  my garage for a while.

These appear to be completely untouched.  I'll be doing some tests, and we thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread with the results.

Mike

LaScalas.jpg.313e6d528cd4f5dbda01acbce1b34033.jpg

• Like 6

20 hours ago, archdukeobvious said:

So now you have two pairs of La Scalas?  Congrats on getting a great deal on this pair.  Now you just need another Scala or a Belle Klipsch to have a great 5.0 system!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Good score!  They are similar to a pair I got on eBay except mine are from 1997 and therefore have AL-3 crossover.  Finish and condition is very similar.....mine xame from an Indiana theater.  Mine has the grill cloth over tweeter and squawker.   I like mine and am sure you will like yours!