HELP, MY 1980's Heresy stopped Working.

jackTaylor

I inherited my Dad's Heresy Speaker set, don't know if they are 1's or 2's. After opening up the back of it, seems to be circa 80's based on the size of the caps and the font (lol). I love these speakers and it doesn't seem too hard to fix? I just don't want to break them more. Can anyone point me in a good direction of replacement parts or maybe trouble shooting whats wrong? I'm definitely lost..

Problem: One of them stopped working, no sound

Initial trouble shooting: Checked connections to amp, ran the speaker wire through hand to make sure it wasn't pierced/crimped. checked the connection to the cabinet. tightened all the screws on the board. No sound. took my multimeter and checked continuity on woofer, mid, and tweeter. got a beep and all three. Assumption is its the capacitors or what looks like two little transformers? 

Question: Where can I buy new parts, not totally sure what new parts I need.

Thank you!

• Like 3

As @billybob pointed out it could be one side of your amp/receiver/source is toast.  I have a pair of 81's here and zero problems.  Prolly be something simple or could be more complex.  Speaker balance knob centered on the receiver?  Kinda tough w/o knowing what your running.  Check the dead side wire on the other speaker if it's not the balance?  Something's goin on.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jackTaylor said:

Assumption is its the capacitors  

Your capacitors may be shot  in 1 speaker  ,    Can you use a soldering iron    ?    if yes.....  Link  ▶️https://jemperformanceaudio.com/capacitor-kits  

it is crucial to use klipsch original capacitors  to restore your crossovers , otherwise the  specs will be off ,    

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

Your capacitors may be shot  in 1 speaker  ,  Can you use a soldering iron    ?    if yes.....  Link  ▶️https://jemperformanceaudio.com/capacitor-kits  

it is crucial to use klipsch original capacitors  to restore your crossovers , otherwise the  specs will be off ,    

The first statement is correct but the second is just an opinion. Satisfactory capacitors can be had from several sources.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

As @billybob pointed out it could be one side of your amp/receiver/source is toast.  I have a pair of 81's here and zero problems.  Prolly be something simple or could be more complex.  Speaker balance knob centered on the receiver?  Kinda tough w/o knowing what your running.  Check the dead side wire on the other speaker if it's not the balance?  Something's goin on.

yep

make sure where the problem is. Check to see it is not the amp. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Dave MacKay said:

Satisfactory capacitors can be had from several sources.

totally incorrect as far as klipsch networks  , Aftermarkets  alter the klipsch sound signature   , Furthermore , the topic is closed  .

This isn't rocket science yet.  He's assuming it could be the networks but that's really the last thing on the hit list imo.  It's possible, but let's work thru it as far as we can go before we jump into where to buy whatever he may need.  Hence the topic really isn't closed until he figures out what HE wants to do.  There are ALWAYS opeions and that's his call.  Sure I could have replaced mine in my 81's but they sound fine right now and aren't my primary rig.  Sure they could sound better w/a new kit but...  Could replace all the speakers too while we're at it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OO1 said:

totally incorrect as far as klipsch networks  , Aftermarkets  alter the klipsch sound signature

In your opinion, which you haven’t supported with any data. 

45 minutes ago, OO1 said:

Furthermore , the topic is closed  .

Apparently not. If you stop I will.

• Haha 1

Yes so, after the OP was done with the simple test, we could know what to do next with the troubleshooting. The process of elimination would eliminate the complete system, pointing to the culprit.

One should not jump to conclusions until...focus is the way.

OP may well be listening to music now in stereo, or not.

• Thanks 2

My buddy has some big Sansui receiver and told me it was blown.  He wasn't getting anything to his speakers.  Seems as though he had a habit of cranking it with the "loudness" button pushed in when he was trashed.  Had to have that boost.  lol

He wanted me to run him down and have a friend put it on his bench so I told him to get it here and we'd make a run someday just so I could BS w/the dude.  Been a few years so he shows up with it.  I let it set on the table.  lol  

About a week later I figured it was time so hooked up a pair of speakers and yup nuttin honey.  So I look up the amp and nosed.  Found out the loudness button had a safety reset on it.  lol  I pushed the button and turned it off .  Fired it up and it worked fine.  lol

Told him I fixed it for him and he thought I'd taken it into the shop w/o him.  I said yup, you owe me $75 for the bench charge so he paid me.  Should have kept the money to replenish the beer he drinks here but I didn't.  Guess I had a weak moment.  😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Dave MacKay said:

The first statement is correct but the second is just an opinion. Satisfactory capacitors can be had from several sources.

Satisfactory capacitors have always been available from many sources, that’s true. 

However, the only source for replacement capacitors that have been tested by Klipsch Engineering to insure they meet factory spec, not alter the transfer function, and perform as intended, are from

JEM performance if you want the parts and can solder them in yourself

or

@Deang if you would like him to rebuild your networks with factory approved and tested parts.

• Like 2

• Moderators
20 hours ago, OO1 said:

Your capacitors may be shot  in 1 speaker  ,    Can you use a soldering iron    ?    if yes..... 

Let’s go step by step, figure out if it’s an amp/preamp problem which @billybob is checking on with left to right wire switch.

If it’s the AMP/Receiver then we can see what the labels/SN say and we can tell him how old and whether they are good to go or if he may want to consider having them rebuilt.

Travis

• Like 1