Cornwall III - need new crossover

jconsolmagno

5 minutes ago, jconsolmagno said:

I have. Waiting on a response. Concerned the model is discontinued and they might not have it. Do you think they will?

Cannot say but weekend maybe not reply. Have you verified it is in fact the crossover? Any troubleshooting?

If not hear back from Klipsch soon, would try again. Meanwhile, let us know more.

Oh okay, great, yes I'm in the USA.

The mid range stopped producing sound. I unhooked ot, took it over to the other channel, plugged it in and it worked, so my conclusion is the crossover failed, not the mid range. Should I try anything else? Set was bought in 2018, but B stock, so think I'm out of the warranty period.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Edited by jconsolmagno

Probably not the crossover, rather a bad connection or failed solder joint.

Swapping the midrange was a good trouble shooting technique and eliminated something expensive.

BTW, crossovers are not failure prone (usually), but a bad connection can be. 

I bet with a voltmeter and a soldering pencil, you could have this fixed in 10 minutes and at no cost.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 9/30/2023 at 4:57 PM, PrestonTom said:

Probably not the crossover, rather a bad connection or failed solder joint.

Yes, I had this happen to a midrange before. Disconnected the wires to the driver cleaned them up and it worked. They were tight and no signs of a problem but just didn't make contact somehow, looked fine but no contact, how I don't know as tight as they were.  

13 hours ago, dtel said:

Yes, I had this happen to a midrange before. Disconnected the wires to the driver cleaned them up and it worked. They were tight and no signs of a problem but just didn't make contact somehow, looked fine but no contact, how I don't know as tight as they were.  

Thanks - gave that a shot, but did not improve the situation, mid range still dead.

• Sad 1

• Moderators

Well it was worth a shot, hope you find the answer.

I have not had any experience with crossovers failing, even had some old AA models leaking oil from the caps and they still played. Good luck and hope it is simple. 

45 minutes ago, jconsolmagno said:

mid range still dead.

take out the crossover , do not disconnect the wiring  to the mids driver ,

wiggle the wires   , does the midrange driver 's sound come on  or is it  plain dead