Any HVAC Guys Here?

Gilbert

One of our heat pumps croaked (internal short that kept blowing a 40A breaker), they're all 21 years old. I was told our lasted better than most and I'm going to replace all of them if I can get a good price. Was considering same old single phase but with higher efficiency rating. The old system was Lenox signature series, but after the price I was quoted to replace with same, I decided keep the money I was saving for the next lunar launch on Elon's Space X and go with something less expensive.

I think I found something I like that's reportedly not as efficient as a new Lennox signature series, but carries a better warranty (12 yrs) as opposed to (10 yrs) on the equipment and also a better warrant on the labor...   (6 yrs.) vs (1 yr) on the lennox install.

Considering a "Daikin Fit" HVAC system but don't know if they're any good? Based on what I've read, the Daikin Fit is a very good system,.... called an inverter system. Supposedly runs real quite. These systems (inverter tech.) don't need to run at 100% like the typical/traditional single stage heatpump.

Your educated opinions are appreciated, thanks.

Gilbert.....do you still live in Texas? I moved there about 1.5 years ago, and it didn't take long to realize how serious HVAC is down here. AC is as important here as heat is up north. I'm impressed how well everyone's AC works down here. Good luck with your search, might need someone familiar with the systems down here for a complete assessment on what's happening.

On 10/18/2023 at 4:44 PM, Ceptorman said:

Gilbert.....do you still live in Texas? I moved there about 1.5 years ago, and it didn't take long to realize how serious HVAC is down here. AC is as important here as heat is up north. I'm impressed how well everyone's AC works down here. Good luck with your search, might need someone familiar with the systems down here for a complete assessment on what's happening.

Yes, still living in Texas, moved back (from Oklahoma) to live here in 2009; and yes AC is important, and absolutely required if your not accustomed to this kind of weather.

I grew up in Laredo where the typical summer last approx. 4 months and greater than 110 deg. F is common.  Decided to purchase the Daikin Fit system, and it's being installed right now. Replacing (2) 4 Ton units and (1) 3 T. I secured 6 estimates (not all Daikin) and the best deal for the Daikin was $35k and the best deal on a Ruud or Trane was about $7k less.

With regards to the Daikin fit, the next best price was $65k and the crazy stupid high price was $75k. The company's that were crazy high included Beyer Boys, and Jon Wayne, respectively. Both are very large companys that offer multiple financing options and some smooth talking estimators. I chose to go with a company called Comfort Air. I can't for the life of me figure out how these other two companies were so far off. I even offered them the estimate from Comfort Air and neither offered a comment/reply.

They installed one of the units already, and currently working on #2. 

A friend just had a whole new new system put in a 1600 sq ft ranch house. He had estimates from 10k -18k. Wayne was the highest. He went with one in the middle, around 12k. I know an electrician in SA, he said Wayne can only change out systems, they don't have any repair guys, only installers. He said he has seen numerous violations from the Wayne guys in regards to the electrical side of those installs. He said a few were extremely dangerous what the Wayne guys did, broken and botched together electrical connectors. 

Hope you have good luck with it all, at least it has cooled down!

15 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Yes, still living in Texas, moved back (from Oklahoma) to live here in 2009; and yes AC is important, and absolutely required if your not accustomed to this kind of weather.

I grew up in Laredo where the typical summer last approx. 4 months and greater than 110 deg. F is common.  Decided to purchase the Daikin Fit system, and it's being installed right now. Replacing (2) 4 Ton units and (1) 3 T. I secured 6 estimates (not all Daikin) and the best deal for the Daikin was $35k and the best deal on a Ruud or Trane was about $7k less.

With regards to the Daikin fit, the next best price was $65k and the crazy stupid high price was $75k. The company's that were crazy high included Beyer Boys, and Jon Wayne, respectively. Both are very large companys that offer multiple financing options and some smooth talking estimators. I chose to go with a company called Comfort Air. I can't for the life of me figure out how these other two companies were so far off. I even offered them the estimate from Comfort Air and neither offered a comment/reply.

They installed one of the units already, and currently working on #2. 

Wow! 75K?

JJK

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...