Speaker setup with Khorns

Seahawks

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

I've read a lot of posts regarding this subject but would like some advice as well.

I'm building out a media room roughly 22x17' with 10' tall ceilings. With all the cabinetry installed, I realistically will have 19x17' space left.  Due to design constraints, I will need to have the TV wall on the 17' side.  Others have mentioned that any of the heritage premium speakers could compliment well as the center speaker.  While I am ok to get a La scala as a center, I prefer something smaller like a Heresy.  The room will mainly be for 30% sports and 70% TV/movies with maybe some music listening here and there.  Am I going to be missing a lot of the awesomeness if I get the heresy? 

While we are at it, any recs for surround speakers? I havent decided on 5.1 vs 7.1 yet.

48 minutes ago, OO1 said:

the Heresy is perfect , but you'll need a pair for centers  ,  a single wont be enough 

You have spectacular speakers, don't skimp on the center, it's the most important speaker in an HT. Get a LaScala, Belle, or a Cornwall.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

You have spectacular speakers, don't skimp on the center, it's the most important speaker in an HT. Get a LaScala, Belle, or a Cornwall.

I've been using  a pair of Heresy 1 for years as centers ,  nothing short of amazing , that's 2x tweeters , 2x  mids and 2x woofers , instead  of only 1  , centers are for  vocals and  that's what the Heresy is all about   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OO1 said:

I've been using  a pair of Heresy 1 for years as centers ,  nothing short of amazing , that's 2x tweeters , 2x  mids and 2x woofers , instead  of only 1  , centers are for  vocals and  that's what the Heresy is all about   

Have you tried a La Scala,  Belle, or Cornwall between your Khorns?

Yes you will be missing much awesomeness by  placing a less capable speaker at center .The best center  for  Klipschorn is another Klipschorn , or  , Lascala/ Bell . Sure anything can be placed between a set of  Klipschorns , but if you’re  looking for the best possible sound , then the choice is clear . A three channel Klipschorn Lascala  front stage is  as good as it gets in home theater ,   you’re two thirds there right now , go for the home run , don’t get stuck on second or third base .🤓

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you have made a decision, but I had a similar question a few months back regarding a center speaker between my 2 La Scalas. As others have said a La Scala or Belle would be ideal (there is a single La Scala and a pair of Belle's in great condition on Ebay at the moment), but a Heresy will be adequate. I ended up going with a Crites CS-2 which is a Heresy 1 with upgraded components. It has been an absolute game changer for me in HT. I will eventually probably grab a Belle (the pair on Ebay is just a tad further than I am willing to travel to pick up) and grab another Crites CS-2 to side mount as surrounds to complete my 5.1 setup. I have had no issues whatsoever with the CS-2 (Heresy 1 clone).

image.thumb.jpeg.36d5637472b75ca3a6eca6a9f119972c.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

1 vote for the Belle as center.

How is your bass response on carpeted floors?

When working in DC area previously I had 4 Heresy Is in my 525 sf or so studio apt. Then brought up 2 LaScala IIs from Florida from my parent's house. After hooking up the LS IIs it was clear that the sound field was much more impressive than the H Is. Due to layout, no center channel, so never used the H Is for that purpose. I unhooked the front H Is and never looked back !! Belle vs LS: in the 80s and 90s most folks I knew or talked to thought the Belle was the better and much prettier center. But I had a 4.0 system until around 2005, so never an issue for me. Your choice of course if you want the larger center without cramping your style or goals. FWIW: consider having a local cloth artist do a cover for the LSs if that is your choice. I know an artist in New Orleans that has a good woodblock for printing Johnny Cash that could be used on cloth.

Working on my 14 x17 x 12.5 foot man cave room now. I have a AA and an ALK x over for the 2 Khorns and a Belle from the ? late 70s.  For reasons completely unknown to me the Belle sounds much better and fuller than either Khorn, especially the bass. Khorns are on a hardwood floor lifted by about 1 inch with 2 inch x 2 ft wood slats from Home Depot or Lowes, with microfiber cloths to sort of fill the gaps of any unevenness. AC pipe foamy insulation used at the motor boards and top hats, so a reasonable seal, but not perfect. Sealing the speakers to the corners and dealing with the decorative cloth wings was an absolute nightmare !!

By contrast the Belle is on some carpet runners to make it easy to move, so not in any way wood on wood to the floor and 1/2 inch air gaps too. No crossover upgrade / re-cap. So again, no idea why it sounds the best. The 3 front speakers have very different timbres, but in real time use this is not an issue. I have my 75" inch TV on top of the Belle. TV really is too high per my couch. But there is no other practicable way to deal with the speaker and the TV. I even thought of turning the Belle upside down behind the TV and dropping the TV 12-18". But given my room layout and that these cover up a very nice fireplace and sconce I did not want to deal with any other weirdness to my system.

I did not try using one of my LaScalas. 2 will be the rear surrounds (side surrounds will have to be Heresy 1s due my room configuration issues). 2 LSs are in my bedroom and 2 LS IIs are in storage for now and likely need to be sold...LOL.

From NOLA with love....

Edited by nola
Fixed some typos.....
  • Like 1

OMG, how did you get the Belle up on top of the TV !! Forklift or same method as moving stones for the Pyramids !! 

BTW, when I first saw the picture I did not see the Belle as I was looking below the TV. The Belle seamlessly merges into your cabinet. But to take out and flip it....do you know a good hernia surgeon or did linebacker sized guys do it ? At least I know where to go for venison. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...