What treatment for my 1990 Heresy cabinets?

DLStryker

5 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

I've used Watco Tung Oil on Heresys, Chorus, and Cornwalls -- always with outstanding results.  Use some 0000 steel wool over the entire cabinet and then clean off.  Put on two coats of the Tung Oil.  Tung Oil is clear and after two coats will look a bit glossy.  If you don't like that, you can get them back to satin with a light rubbing with the steel wool.

Well hell..... going to order some Watco Tung Oil now as well!!  I'll report back with pics comparing Watco Rejuvenating Oil, Watco Tung Oil and Trade Secret.  I'm going to have one "rough around the edges" KG4 that is going to look a little jacked up after I finish testing!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DLStryker said:

WTH!!  Watco Rejuvenating oil is $8.99.  Watco Tung oil is $28.99!!

yep -- there is a big difference in price.  feel free to give the rejuvenating oil a go and see what you think.  tung oil is more of a "finish" while the rejuvenating oil is more for "restoring".

26 minutes ago, DLStryker said:

Well hell..... going to order some Watco Tung Oil now as well!!  I'll report back with pics comparing Watco Rejuvenating Oil, Watco Tung Oil and Trade Secret.  I'm going to have one "rough around the edges" KG4 that is going to look a little jacked up after I finish testing!!

Test on the bottom!

2 hours ago, CWOReilly said:

Test on the bottom!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not really at all worried about this set of KG4's.  Center caps are pushed in.  One of the radiators has a cat scratch hole in the center cap.  But, I see that does not effect anything.  The cone is sealed from the inside.  The bottoms have some delamination of the veneer from what looks like a little water damage.

This set will probably end up as a garage speaker.

I'll do all the testing on these old KG4's and then do a meticulous job on my prized HII's and also restoring a set of MINT KG4's!!

I believe my La Scalas are lacquer finished.   No need for any oil on them. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DLStryker said:

Well... it looks like a very thin coat of lacquer on my La Scalas.  Anyone else agree?  Could you order cabinets finished with lacquer from Klipsch?  Or did someone do this later?

PIC1.jpeg

Whoever did it made them look really nice. Hard to beat a set of raw birch La Scala’s in great condition. 

32 minutes ago, DLStryker said:

Could you order cabinets finished with lacquer from Klipsch?  Or did someone do this later?

if the tag at the back of the speaker reads  LS-BR , the varathane / lacquer was added later 

2 hours ago, DLStryker said:

Well, here is what I have now.  Still waiting for the Watco Rejuvenating oil to arrive.

BTW, glad I did not get any more suggestions on wood treatments!  LOL!!  I'm broke now!

PIC1.jpeg

pIC2.jpeg

pIC3.jpeg

Pic4.jpeg

Pic5.jpeg

Time for the fun to begin!

So here is the sacrificial test subject.  LOL!  I will be applying the 4 different veneer treatment oils to this one speaker.  This KG4 sounds great, but you can see it looks rough!!  So it is great for testing.  My prized Heresys and MINT KG4's will get the single treatment that ultimately tests as the best.

I think you will agree... not a lot lost by testing on this beat up KG4.  I actually have a pair.  They both look about the same. 

When done testing.  Whatever is the darkest oil treatment will be used to go back over the whole pair. 

BTW, these little gems will be up for sale.

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Pic4.jpg

22 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Sometimes a push in dust cover can be vacuumed out

Do you put the hose up to the dust cover first and then turn on the vacuum?  I would think that would be one heck of an impact if the sweeper was running and then I put the hose up to the dust cover.  Seems like it would grab it and slam the dust cover to the hose.