Klipschorns Questions???

Erivera1990

Just got a pair of Klipschorns! 

I have a few questions in regards of the internal wiring, mids, tweeters and crossovers.

- Is 16 awg good enough for rewiring my speakers? Or should I go with something like 14 or 12 awg? (The current ones aren't in good shape)

- For my mids (k55m) and tweeters (CT125), is there a rebuild kit? Should I take them apart to clean it or should I leave them alone? When I took everything apart it was pretty dusty inside.

- I currently have Crites A Crossovers, could I eventually upgrade the same crossover to an AA one?  

I attached a picture of my crossover.

If someone could answer my question, I will appreciate! 

Thank you in advance

Ed

20231103_084420.jpg

14 minutes ago, KT88 said:

I didn't understand correctly, do you have this Crites crossover separately from your new Khorn? Does the Khorn still have its original crossover? If not, can you ask the seller if he still has the original crossover or at least parts of it like the autotransformer?

I personally wuold use the crossover which was intended to go with the K33M which ist not the AA type. @Deang may be of better help than me. I also had some CT125 in my 1977 LaScala for a short period of time. The original K77(M in your case) is much more about the original Klipsch sound, no comparison like eg. an acoustic steel string guitar sounds and I am happy to be back for the original tweeter. But if you like the CT125, it is up to you.

The original owner did the upgrades (A Crossovers and CT125) I'm the third owner. Unfortunately the person who I bought them for doesn't have the original crossovers nor tweeters. I like how they sound, I'm just making sure I get the best of my mids and tweeters. That's why I was wondering if I should rebuild, clean or leave them alone.

What about in regards of the right AWG? What wire size should I should I use? For some reason my speakers came with 12 and 14 gauge.

20231101_105730.jpg

20231101_105724.jpg

3 hours ago, Erivera1990 said:

Just got a pair of Klipschorns! 

I have a few questions in regards of the internal wiring, mids, tweeters and crossovers.

- Is 16 awg good enough for rewiring my speakers? Or should I go with something like 14 or 12 awg? (The current ones aren't in good shape)

- For my mids (k55m) and tweeters (CT125), is there a rebuild kit? Should I take them apart to clean it or should I leave them alone? When I took everything apart it was pretty dusty inside.

- I currently have Crites A Crossovers, could I eventually upgrade the same crossover to an AA one?  

I attached a picture of my crossover.

If someone could answer my question, I will appreciate! 

Thank you in advance

Ed

20231103_084420.jpg

Actually, you have the Crites A-4500's to go along with your CT-125's.  It would take some work to convert them to AA's.   I like the CT-125's, but found the sensitivity to be too low for the Khorns.   It's a great tweeter for the Cornwall or Heresy, if you make tap changes to bump up the voltage to them.

1 hour ago, mboxler said:

Actually, you have the Crites A-4500's to go along with your CT-125's.  It would take some work to convert them to AA's.   I like the CT-125's, but found the sensitivity to be too low for the Khorns.   It's a great tweeter for the Cornwall or Heresy, if you make tap changes to bump up the voltage to them.

So that means, I would have to change my tweeters?

2 hours ago, mboxler said:

That was exactly the same thought I had. I sold a pair of CT125s to @ronajon for his Cornwall 1. He likes them, but it would be nice if the SPL was a bit more balanced. They were too quiet for my LaScala but for his Cornwall they should have some reserves as the efficiency of the Cornwall is a bit lower.  What does he need to do to get the SPL of the CT125 to match his Cornwall exactly?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KT88 said:

That was exactly the same thought I had. I sold a pair of CT125s to @ronajon for his Cornwall 1. He likes them, but it would be nice if the SPL was a bit more balanced. They were too quiet for my LaScala but for his Cornwall they should have some reserves as the efficiency of the Cornwall is a bit lower.  What does he need to do to get the SPL of the CT125 to match his Cornwall exactly?

Moving the tweeter filter from tap 4 to tap 5 will increase the CT-125 voltage by 3.35db.   It also drops the K-55 voltage by around 1db.  I don't have a Cornwall to measure the actual SPL changes but it's an easy mod to try.

• Like 2

The original tweeters are  excellent ,but even more important, they  are also the perfect  acoustic match to the other drivers . I would recommend returning them to stock.The  ct125 tweeter changes the  character of the Khorn 🤷and to my ears in a negative way. Unfortunately as was mentioned above, the 4500 hz crossover isn’t compatible with the K77 , but , all that can be fixed . Stock Klipschorn is the way to go , trust PWK’s designs ,be suspicious of the snake oil salesman that promises improvements to this fine speaker .Congratulations , and good luck.🤓 16 gauge is fine.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tom05 said:

The original tweeters are  excellent ,but even more important, they  are also the perfect  acoustic match to the other drivers . I would recommend returning them to stock.The  ct125 tweeter changes the  character of the Khorn 🤷and to my ears in a negative way. Unfortunately as was mentioned above, the 4500 hz crossover isn’t compatible with the K77 , but , all that can be fixed . Stock Klipschorn is the way to go , trust PWK’s designs ,be suspicious of the snake oil salesman that would question his abilities .Congratulations , and good luck.🤓 16 gauge is fine.

I can only agree with that. The CT125 in my 1977 Lascala gave a kind of soft hi-fi sound, of course they were also too quiet, but that wasn't all. The vocal authority of female voices, the powerful dispersion of the original K77(M), the way e.g. an old CSNY recording fills the room with energy, an acoustic Martin guitar, all this is so much more authentic when using the original K77 or K77M. The directivity characteristics together with the K400 create a sound that is one piece. I'm happy to put up with a little sibilance from the old tweeter design. Incidentally, it was almost gone when I finally used the original T2A autoformers and the SPL ratio to the K400 was right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom05 said:

The original tweeters are  excellent ,but even more important, they  are also the perfect  acoustic match to the other drivers . I would recommend returning them to stock.The  ct125 tweeter changes the  character of the Khorn 🤷and to my ears in a negative way. Unfortunately as was mentioned above, the 4500 hz crossover isn’t compatible with the K77 , but , all that can be fixed . Stock Klipschorn is the way to go , trust PWK’s designs ,be suspicious of the snake oil salesman that promises improvements to this fine speaker .Congratulations , and good luck.🤓 16 gauge is fine.

Thank you for your comment! How do I know if my klipschorns came with k77 or k77m and which crossover would be good for stock gear?