Klipschorns Questions???

Erivera1990

1 hour ago, KT88 said:

I can only agree with that. The CT125 in my 1977 Lascala gave a kind of soft hi-fi sound, of course they were also too quiet, but that wasn't all. The vocal authority of female voices, the powerful dispersion of the original K77(M), the way e.g. an old CSNY recording fills the room with energy, an acoustic Martin guitar, all this is so much more authentic when using the original K77 or K77M. The directivity characteristics together with the K400 create a sound that is one piece. I'm happy to put up with a little sibilance from the old tweeter design. Incidentally, it was almost gone when I finally used the original T2A autoformers and the SPL ratio to the K400 was right.

I started searching for a pair of tweeters.

On 11/3/2023 at 6:52 PM, Erivera1990 said:

Thank you for your comment! How do I know if my klipschorns came with k77 or k77m and which crossover would be good for stock gear?

it's not only the tweeters , it's the crossovers too , buy a pair  of K-77M , as far as  the crossovers , the AK-3  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Erivera1990 said:

I was searching and I found new diaphragms for k77 tweeters but I couldn't find a lot in regards of k55m rebuild kit. That means there's not a rebuild kit? At least should I open  to clean it or leave them alone? 

Are you sure to need new diaphragms for your K77M tweeters? Or are you searching for K77M in the first place? If they run they should be good. The diaphragms which are in the market today are mostly cheaper and not so good sounding diaphragms from China. The old original ones of a K77M are good sounding if they are working and original.

33 minutes ago, Erivera1990 said:

I was searching and I found new diaphragms for k77 tweeters but I couldn't find a lot in regards of k55m rebuild kit. That means there's not a rebuild kit? At least should I open  to clean it or leave them alone? 

klipsch Parts sell Original diaphragms ,   klipsch part  # 127126 , 

28 minutes ago, Erivera1990 said:

Thank you for your comment! How do I know if my klipschorns came with k77 or k77m and which crossover would be good for stock gear?

You would want to use the tweeter that matches the crossover that you decide  to use . Back to the non stock crossover  and tweeter issue, I prefer the stock tweeter , but you may prefer  the ct125 with its lower crossover point , after all It’s a matter of personal preference . I would listen to them for a good long time , maybe  someday you’ll find a stock set to compare with. You may very well prefer your own set. That would be awesome. Have fun  🤓

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, KT88 said:

Are you sure to need new diaphragms for your K77M tweeters? Or are you searching for K77M in the first place? If they run they should be good. The diaphragms which are in the market today are mostly cheaper and not so good sounding diaphragms from China. The old original ones of a K77M are good sounding if they are working and original.

I was searching for both, but also I was searching for my mids, I couldn't find a lot of information in regards of rebuilding my k55m.

22 minutes ago, Tom05 said:

You would want to use the tweeter that matches the crossover that you decide  to use . Back to the non stock crossover  and tweeter issue, I prefer the stock tweeter , but you may prefer  the ct125 with its lower crossover point , after all It’s a matter of personal preference . I would listen to them for a good long time , maybe  someday you’ll find a stock set to compare with. You may very well prefer your own set. That would be awesome. Have fun  🤓

Thank you! 

16 hours ago, KT88 said:

That was exactly the same thought I had. I sold a pair of CT125s to @ronajon for his Cornwall 1. He likes them, but it would be nice if the SPL was a bit more balanced. They were too quiet for my LaScala but for his Cornwall they should have some reserves as the efficiency of the Cornwall is a bit lower.  What does he need to do to get the SPL of the CT125 to match his Cornwall exactly?

the step up from the plastic piezo tweeters to the CT125 from @KT88 was already a huge one.

The sound with these CT125 is warmer and smoother.

15 hours ago, mboxler said:

Moving the tweeter filter from tap 4 to tap 5 will increase the CT-125 voltage by 3.35db.   It also drops the K-55 voltage by around 1db.  I don't have a Cornwall to measure the actual SPL changes but it's an easy mod to try.

i'm sure willing to mod the CT-125, but not sure how to "move the tweeter filter from tap 4 to tap 5 " ?

as this is not my topic and i don't want to hijack it with my questions, i'll move this to my own thread about the Cornwalls i recently purchased. Feel free to continue there on modifying the CT125's i've got .

Edited by ronajon
ad link

When I found my beater LS on a guys porch ($100), they had all the wrong parts inside. The only thing I kept were the midrange EV drivers (1828), which Klipsch actually used for a short time.

My older son, Invidiosulus, gave me some K-33s he had, and I got some K-400 horns from someone else. The 1828 drivers sound pretty good.

I had some DHA2 crossovers that I kept when selling my other LS.

TO MY POINT: I had the original Tonsil tweeters, and used the larger tweeter horns from Eminence on them (on a baffle on top of the  cabinets). I never measured them, but thought they sounded way better than the K-77 tweeters that were on my original album LS. Not as tizzy sounding, smoother. They matched very well with the Atlas mids.

But, no longer Klipsch. So... Eminence used to sell the Tonsil driver APT50, until they started making them. The Eminence built weren't as good, according to Bob C. I think Tonsil still sells them in Europe (Tonsil is in Poland) although their website is very difficult to navigate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2023 at 8:44 AM, Erivera1990 said:

Just got a pair of Klipschorns! 

I have a few questions in regards of the internal wiring, mids, tweeters and crossovers.

- Is 16 awg good enough for rewiring my speakers? Or should I go with something like 14 or 12 awg? (The current ones aren't in good shape)

- For my mids (k55m) and tweeters (CT125), is there a rebuild kit? Should I take them apart to clean it or should I leave them alone? When I took everything apart it was pretty dusty inside.

- I currently have Crites A Crossovers, could I eventually upgrade the same crossover to an AA one?  

I attached a picture of my crossover.

If someone could answer my question, I will appreciate! 

Thank you in advance

Ed

I suppose I'm too late.  There is no reason to replace any wiring.   It never goes bad and is too short to impact the sound. 

There is no reason to "rebuild" working drivers; leave them alone.  The -Ms are good drivers.  The diaphragm for K-55-Ms have not been available for years, though one vendor says he can adapt a K-55-V diaphragm. 

The original tweeter was a K-77-M *if* the K-55-M is original.  K-77-Ms were installed beginning in 1980, maybe late 1979.  Since you have Z-brackets, the K-55-M should be OEM. 

Your best choice for a crossover is an AK-3.  A K-55-M easily reaches 6000 Hz, so your 4500 Hz crossover point is unnecessary.  You should be interested in matching the horizontal dispersion of the squawker and tweeter at the crossover point.  I expect Klipsch made an attempt at that. 

I've never heard that tweeter, but a pair of K-77-Ms will return your Khorns to the original sound and performance. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JohnA said:

I suppose I'm too late.  There is no reason to replace any wiring.   It never goes bad and is too short to impact the sound. 

There is no reason to "rebuild" working drivers; leave them alone.  The -Ms are good drivers.  The diaphragm for K-55-Ms have not been available for years, though one vendor says he can adapt a K-55-V diaphragm. 

The original tweeter was a K-77-M *if* the K-55-M is original.  K-77-Ms were installed beginning in 1980, maybe late 1979.  Since you have Z-brackets, the K-55-M should be OEM. 

Your best choice for a crossover is an AK-3.  A K-55-M easily reaches 6000 Hz, so your 4500 Hz crossover point is unnecessary.  You should be interested in matching the horizontal dispersion of the squawker and tweeter at the crossover point.  I expect Klipsch made an attempt at that. 

I've never heard that tweeter, but a pair of K-77-Ms will return your Khorns to the original sound and performance. 

Thank you for your feedback, I got the AK3 Gold from Crites, and wow! They sound way better! Compared with the A 4,500hz.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OO1 said:

...a  brand new klipsch 650$  AK-3 blows it away   .

THE real AK3 would present as Klipsch designed it. Whether it's better is personal taste. Is that $650 for a pair or single? Steep price to pay...

I'm okay with the Klipsch designs, but ur starting to talk big money.

• Like 1