WTB Academy Does anyone have an old academy or two laying around?

merkin

I just gave my son a couple quartets and he would like a center to match.  Doesn't need to be real pretty, but would like all the drivers to be solid.  The next couple of months I'll be traveling between quad cities ,Des Moines, Denver and Mesa.

If I remember correctly the academy is the speaker manufactured to match the quartet, forte II and chorus II.  I still  own 3 academys, 4 forte IIs and the quartets. They are all timbre matched.   Go back about 15 years and read the post from the old members on the forum and those substitutes for the academy were discussed endlessly.

• Like 3

On 11/25/2023 at 9:02 PM, merkin said:

If I remember correctly the academy is the speaker manufactured to match the quartet, forte II and chorus II.  I still  own 3 academys, 4 forte IIs and the quartets. They are all timbre matched.   Go back about 15 years and read the post from the old members on the forum and those substitutes for the academy were discussed endlessly.

I used an academy between forte I and II for years.  Always sounded small and veiled.  Been using a C7 for the last couple years and there is no way I'd go back to an academy. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 Academy's. Bought at different times. Darker than photos from Peredoz. Great shape. Let me know if interested. Neither has been used in years. In New Orleans, so out of your way. But lots of reasons to come to NOLA: festivals almost every weekend. Mardi Gras, French Quarter Fest, JazzFest (with Mick Jagger stopping by this year with about 80-100K of his fiends), etc. One was bought in Phoenix area when I lived there about 30 years ago same day I met PWK !! He was pretty old back then. Other was likely bought in 2006. I used them as center channels below 65" and 55" TVs until 2014.

14 hours ago, nola said:

I have 2 Academy's. Bought at different times. Darker than photos from Peredoz. Great shape. Let me know if interested. Neither has been used in years. In New Orleans, so out of your way. But lots of reasons to come to NOLA: festivals almost every weekend. Mardi Gras, French Quarter Fest, JazzFest (with Mick Jagger stopping by this year with about 80-100K of his fiends), etc. One was bought in Phoenix area when I lived there about 30 years ago same day I met PWK !! He was pretty old back then. Other was likely bought in 2006. I used them as center channels below 65" and 55" TVs until 2014.

Thanks Nola,   That would have worked 5 to about last year.  We use to spend January in Mesa and then drive to Bonita Springs , Florida on ten.  We laid over in New Orleans a couple of times.  I found one in Denver which I'll pick up the end of the month.  I am using 2 for front height speakers in my HT.  My front line is 3 belles with Volti upgrades. If I stumble into a couple more I'll use them for rear heights in a 5.2.4 system.  I'll keep you in mind if I happen to head to NOLA anytime soon.