Digitalize my vinyl

NOSValves

I use a Korg DS-DAC-10R. It's a pretty nice box for its relatively cheap price tag. The software is, meh, but it works. I usually record to DSD 2.4 IIRC and the playback sound quality is every bit as good as the LP I recorded from. File size for one track is typically 250-300Mb. I have about 450 albums to run through the my home built Ultrasonic Bath,  vacuum dry on the ProJect, record, split into individual tracks and add Meta Data. I better get busy. 😆

Screenshot_20231215-225152.thumb.png.18e6d84fab0597d405aeb6b9d9378284.png

• Like 1

Shannon Parks has a new vinyl dsp called the waxwing... full digital output (coax and optical), but I dont think it has a software package, not sure. JRiver would do the job for software. There is a mobile phone app for control.

I use a phono pre into my interface, and record at 88.2kHz. I certainly don't need to make dsd file. IIRC, records/LPs are about the equivalent of an 8bit DAC.

If you aren't using a phono preamp, your cartridge loading will be all whacked. There's not just an inverse eq change but phasing and timing changes going on.

(I'm not belittling DSD, it's the most accurate archive format. I just don't see it worth the time and trouble unless you work for the National Archives)

22 hours ago, Marvel said:

"IIRC, records/LPs are about the equivalent of an 8bit DAC."

I wouldn't put all "records/LPs" into the same category. Many are vastly superior in dynamic range and impact than others. I've done some testing with a couple different DAC's at different sampling rates and bit depths. Everything I've tested prior to  DSD has resulted in a dull, cold, lifeless reproduction of the tracks being recorded. Other than the large file size of the DSD file per track, I don't see any reason not to use it. It is an extremely accurate representation of the analog tracks being recorded due to the millions of thin slices representing each second of analog audio.

"If you aren't using a pho preamp, your cartridge loading will be all whacked."

The Korg has a very good built in phono preamp so no other equipment is needed prior to the ADC. The software equalization (RIAA and many others) can be disabled if one would rather complete that task later.

Edited by W4VCO

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

Craig... this may be of interest. It's from the forums for Ardour, a powerful DAW package. Someone asked about recording vinyl to digital.

https://discourse.ardour.org/t/digital-riaa/88277

Again, I would say you should use a good phono preamp into the line input on the Scarlett.

Marvel thanks and trust me I have multiple top notch phono sections with my/Mark Deneen's being my go to... Interestingly I'm currently using huge rack size box CJ phono pre that sounds spectacular with my Denon D103R scary quiet background for LPs

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NOSValves said:

Marvel thanks and trust me I have multiple top notch phono sections with my/Mark Deneen's being my go to... Interestingly I'm currently using huge rack size box CJ phono pre that sounds spectacular with my Denon D103R scary quiet background for LPs

Which tonearm do you use with your DL103R?

I think it's hilarious that people think vinyl should be put in the dumpster. Any true audiophile would be appalled at that. After testing audio CD's and digital streaming content head to head with vinyl, I have conclusive proof that the material pressed on vinyl is superior and should be the preferred source for listening on a proper audio system. I have two videos on my channel showing this below. Regardless of one's personal preference in music, it's a factual document of what the music industry is doing to the artists recordings and it's atrocious. Plus, in these videos I explain how I capture my records to digital which correlates back directly to the posters question. The real problem with vinyl is the record pressing facilities, people choosing colored variants and other issues with the quality of the vinyl itself which can turn people off. Bottom line, the content in the grooves is better than digital but can be lost on bogus pressings.

Michael Jackson's Thriller and Bad original Japanese LP pressings compared to their modern CD counterparts.

7 Modern Heavy Metal LP's compared to their Audio CD versions.

10 hours ago, KT88 said:

Which tonearm do you use with your DL103R?

I normally use my 103R on a upgraded Rega RB300 on my older SOTA Sapphire which has had some type of electrical failure that I haven't dug into it yet. So I'm currently using it on my really cool vintage JVC QL-Y5F which has every tweaker gadget known to man. Really versatile and surprising good turntable... The best kind since I scored for like $200 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wookie groomer said:

The real problem with vinyl is the record pressing facilities, people choosing colored variants and other issues with the quality of the vinyl itself

This is very true

A lot of modern mastering for CDs has also been terrible.

I think the music industry is still figuring out how to record - period.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

This is very true

A lot of modern mastering for CDs has also been terrible.

I think the music industry is still figuring out how to record - period.

Marvel,

Many recording engineers have CD recording quality figured out, Thing is the money men paying the bills that is not the main concern. They want the CD's they bankroll to play hotter than the rest on the radio or streaming. More profits through hearing damage! 

On 12/15/2023 at 11:02 PM, Schu said:

Shannon Parks has a new vinyl dsp called the waxwing... full digital output (coax and optical), but I dont think it has a software package, not sure. JRiver would do the job for software. There is a mobile phone app for control.

Shannon Parks is a heck of a good guy! 👍

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 9:33 PM, mark1101 said:

Holy cow!  ☺️  Craig going digital. ▶️  I remember you scolding the piss out of me years ago for that.    Imagine feeding D to A audio into your NBS and VRDs.  All I can say is it won't hurt them.  It can sound really awesome actually.  🤣  👍⏭️

Uummmm,

Let's not get excited! I am backing up my treasured Vinyl collection! I am not "Going Digital" My life would not be complete without a few ticks, hiss and a skip now and then. Vinyl just sounds better!!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thought I would comment on the Waxwing and Shannon Parks. Simply put both are outstanding.  Just bought a mint used Waxwing, installed between Luxman PD-289 Ortofon 2M Bronze then digital out via fiber optic to Cambridge Audio 752BD which is my hub for all sources. You might think AtoD then DtoA won’t sound good but you just might be surprised.  The Waxwing has a plethora of attributes to manage cartridges and LP quality.

Shannon answered questions via email at 7 PM on a Sunday night, to a potential customer, what more can I say?

Sorry for the confusion if any, the Waxwing is for real time digital conversion of my TT, not to create a digital file.  But, Yes FLAC is the way I went for files, on a music server.