What movie to watch

Bruinsrme

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you wanting demo equipment for your theater? enjoyable action movies? or just great movies? Your question could have a lot of answers.

I recommend you look at the NETFLIX.com site. The user reviews and critic reviews are helpful. I rent from the site on a subscription basis but the site is usefull even if you buy/rent locally. It will give you suggestions.

I absolutely loved the BAND OF BROTHERS 5 DVD set. If you like SAVING PRIVATE RYAN you'll probably like it. It is the closest you'll want to get to the front lines of WWII and it's very close to the nonfiction book by Ambrose--reading the book makes the movie even better. Allow yourself one or two episodes to get engaged. Once you get to combat it's captivating.

The surround sound is awesome ...there are long sections of dialog and shorter sections of action...but the dynamic range of going from wispering dialog to bombing is scarey. The bullets hitting whistling through the air and ripping through flesh are terrifying.

Nonstandard script...hard to get to known the characters at the beginning...many die off and replacements emerge.

Here are a few more:

* Almost Famous - excellent story based on Cameron Crowe's Rolling Stone days.

* ROCK STAR - was a lot better than I thought--based on Judas Priest and stars Marky Mark--a good rental.

* BLOW -- based on a true story with interviews with the actual person...I found this story of one of the original big time CA coke dealers interesting...especially since it's based on a true story

* I watched SWORDFISH last night...a good rental with John Travolta and Hale Berry showing more than in the latest Bond movie. I like Travolta and it's an interesting computer hacker story.

* DANGEROUS BEAUTY - charming dialog...mezmerizing beauty...and an interesting tale and Venice setting.

* Was GLADIATOR on your list? --certainly a must see along with Mel Gibson's BRAVEHEART.

This could could go on for ever thus the reference to NetFlix and the if you like that you may like this feature

The above recommendations are excellent. How did Harry Potter and the Sorcer's Stone get left out? JK Rowling sells millions of the Harry Potter books for a reason. It has a Surround EX sound track that has music by John Williams.

Other recommendations: Thirteen Days, Independence Day, Flashdance, Grease and The Patriot. Thirteen Days is historically accurate in its rendition of the Cuban Missle Crisis. We were close to thermonuclear war with the Russians.

Bill

----------------

On 1/30/2003 6:30:16 AM Jimbo357 wrote:

Pearl Harbour is another good one. I've found that any action movie in DTS is far superior to any other format.

----------------

I demo'ed my HT with the bombing scenes...great sound and visual.

Having watched BAND OF BROTHERS I now find a much stronger desire for that more realistic style of filming/scripting than the traditional Hollywood style of Pearl with all it's boy meets girl sub-story line and the like. I like the current trend towards a more historical picture better than the TITANIC love story slant that PEARL seemed to be trying to use.

I still enjoy the old war movies though: Patton, Bridge too Far, Bridge over the River Quai and the more recent "horrors of war" movies like Platoon, Deer Hunter, Apocolypse Now Redux, etc.

"Charlie Don't Surf!"

Oh yeah...watch THE APOSTLE w/Robert Duvall -- One of my all time favorite performances by one of my favorite actors....great music, too.

Kj-

I found the DVD used and bought it because of the DTS format, and after I watched it, I had remebered that it was mostly a love story. But while I was conteplating the purchase, all I could remember about the movie was the awesome Pearl invasion scene. I just couldn't wait to hear that on my system.

I haven't seen Band of Brothers, did you rent that at BB or did you have to buy it?

Jim

I'll go out on a limb and list some of my favorite films...

City of the Lost Children

Amelie

Ghost in the Shell

Blade Runner

Waking Life

Fear and Loathing

Also, just saw Spriggan last night (japanese anime) and it was SUPER intense. Great surround mixes on both English and Japanese tracks. Lots of fast paced gunfighting and violence. Cool Story too. Ok thats all for now.

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN!!!

Speed

Matrix

Braveheart

The under rated Rob Roy with Leeam Neeson and Jessica Lange

The Abysss

Terminator

Titanic

Anything by John Cameron

Any Steven Spielberg, especially Indiana Jones series, but also Schindlers List

Any Arnold Schwarzenegger, especially Total Recall and True Lies

Any Bruce Willis, especially The Sixth Sense

Any Stanley Kubrick, even the odd Eyes Wide Shut

Any Billy Bob Thorton, especially the incredible Sling Blade, but also The Man Who wasnt There

Any Leeam Neeson, even the dull Star Wars sequel

All three movies by Director M. Night Shyamalan, including Signs

Any Kevin Spacy, including The Shipping News with Julianne Moore

Lanatana

Any Harrison Ford, even the lame Sabrina remake

Any Jack Nicholson, but especially As Good As It Gets, with Greg Kinnear

Good Will Hunting

Any Robin Williams

Full Body Massage with Mimi Rogers

Any James Woods, including the disturbing Dirty Pictures (2000)

Any Robert de Niro

3.gif

Thank you for all your inputs. Today I watched Harry Potter. My family has watched it several times. At night I watch various NHL games so family TV viewing is limited, they tolerate my love for the sport and my wife as sweet as she is never says anything about me playing on friday and saturday nights.

I have a the new Sony 27 Wega in the den without any type of surround. The movie looks and sounds great but on the HT the movie was darn awesome. The affects and story were great. Wish I watched it earlier.

Colin you listed some great movies and add them to the viewing wish list.

Thanks again

I just watched "signs" last night. Excellent film. I reccomend it to eveybody. Just make sure you watch it at night with no lights on in the house. This really adds to the effects, especially the scenes in the corn fields.

Hmm other great films that I have recently enjoyed...

1. Last castle Not so much a movie to show off the system, but a great stroy behind it.

Can't think of any other great movies that I have seen lately.

XXX was enjoyable the first time I watched it, but the story is just kinda your typical hollywood plot line.

Ditto Elgrillo regarding Signs. My gauge to Home Theater success is how deep my wife drives her nails into my arm as we watch a scary or suspenseful movie. By the time the dogs were barking in the left and right surrounds in the opening scenes of the movie, she was already well attached to me. By the end of the movie, her nails had drawn blood...

C

How about Star Trek "The Wrath of Khan" and "First Contact" the battle scenes, sounds and effects are great. In "Khan" you feel like you are on the bridge with the hum of the starships engines running and vibrating the floor beneath you. The Matrix also was not mentioned either to my knowledge. How about "Days of Thunder" or "Top Gun" or the "The Mummy" and the "The Mummy Returns" all good performers. As previously mentioned Monsters Inc. in THX is pretty amazing. I do prefer DTS however there are not a ton of titles that aree DTS encoded. Just a few more suggestions for you.

My God people, what is wrong with you?!

How did it take until Colin's post for the Matrix to be listed.

That movie deserves full credit for the success of DVD's and should be in everyone's personal library, even if you don't like it.

Just my humble opinion.1.gif

I also agree with most of Colin's list, but the Matrix should be #1 out of respect.

If you need a movie that your wife will like, but is still fun with your home theater, the Titanic fits the bill.