Decorator Klipschorns

Trippigs

Hello everyone.

A pair near me has become available but I cannot determine the age as the label is too faded. I suspect the 70s based on some knowledge of their history. They have Type AA crossovers, K77 tweeters, K55V midrange driver and K400 midrange horn. I have not opened them up to see the woofer. Cabinet is fine and all screw heads look ok…not all torn up. I have attached images of the pair. Any ideas of date…or date range?

IMG_5337.jpeg

post-15317-13819276128426_thumb.jpgpost-15317-13819281510088_thumb.jpg  My finished 1965's. They looked identical to yours before finishing. The garnishes were hanging in a clear plastic bag on each speaker with gold nails. The crossovers were replaced with Deans and the tweeter and mid range horn drivers were replaced with Crites. The caps in your crossovers are history.

JJK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trippigs said:

Here is the label. Style might be helpful in determining approxmate age but all the handwritten part is too faded to read.

If you look on the back of these you should find the serial # stamped in the wood in various areas like the tail board for example..

miketn

IMG_5570.thumb.jpeg.8155e2e21cb85c4a6bd64de1f2b1ff52.jpeg

On my first visit today I made an offer contingent on them functioning properly. They didnt have any electronics to hook up so I went back with a vintage Marantz receiver and they fired up. Unfortunately both tweeters are blown but both mids and woofers seem to work. Ran up to their closing time and wanted to respect that so I will return tomorrow and make a downward adjusted offer. Also will check for the impressed serial number. One has an original Klipsch pie emblem in a small plastic bag stapled to the back!

Ok…here is the skinny.

They were originally listed at $2500 and discounted 20% the second day and 50% the third and last day. I offered $1000 the second day contingent on them working properly and they accepted my offer….then determined the tweeters were blown. Returned on third day to offer less but they had been sold for $1250. 

Thoughts….A pretty good buy for someone. For me…Im ok with missing out at $1000. Would have invested $400 more for Crites crossovers and $280 for Crites tweeters. So I would have had ~$1800 in them….still not bad. But I already have Industrial LaScalas and a Fitzmaurice sub and I love the setup. Not really sure the Klipschorns would have been an improvement and don't have room for both setups so one would have to go. Im not a flipper and dont enjoy selling. So, I will just enjoy what I have and hope the purchaser enjoys the decorators. One final thing…the decorators were originally purchased by an Arkansas museum and the fellow selling them worked there….so kinda like 1.5 previous owners…pretty cool provenance! 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 1:09 PM, OO1 said:

1000$ for khorns was given away 

I’m with you 001.  $1000 is so low, anything wrong with the speakers could have been replaced and you’d still have a great deal.  I bought mine for $3500 and replaced the crossovers for $500 with the help of Michael Crites (he took over when Bob passed).  They now sound like new.  
Actually, the new Crites crossovers sound so good, I’m going to replace my Klipsch Tangent 50 crossovers too.  I bought them new in ‘89, so they’re probably ready for replacements.  

IMG_1545.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, OO1 said:

surprise for you , the old parts were better quality than the aftermarkets you purchased   , oooops 

No they are not. I have been in electronics for most of my life working with the best stuff in the world. 20 years is the end.

JJK