Receiver Advice (Marantz NR1200) Negative Review for Heresy IVs

Hey all, I'm looking to get a receiver for my Heresy IVs. I'm looking at the Marantz NR1200 which I can get for a substantial discount. The reviews seem pretty good except for this specific review when pairing with Heresy IVs. Do you have any experience with this receiver? How does it sound? Any validity to this review?

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 10.37.05 AM.png

This model is part of the Marantz budget line. It will give you a lot of connectivity and inputs, but the sound quality is not so good. 

A speaker like the Heresy will reveal any weaknesses in your audio chain. 

If you want streaming capabilities and a good amp in one compact system, you'll have to invest a lot more, like triple tej NR1200 price. The other path is a good amp, and an exteral streamer. 

I don't believe in this "pairing an amp with speakers" stuff. Manufacturers can't afford to risk

such narrow pairings between their components and other components. They'd lose significant

market share and money.

Buy the receiver and I expect it will be fine.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Cacti said:

Hey all, I'm looking to get a receiver for my Heresy IVs. I'm looking at the Marantz NR1200 which I can get for a substantial discount. The reviews seem pretty good except for this specific review when pairing with Heresy IVs. Do you have any experience with this receiver? How does it sound? Any validity to this review?

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 10.37.05 AM.png

Welcome @Cacti

What did Violet come up with as a replacement?

Thanks!

20 hours ago, Cacti said:

Hey all, I'm looking to get a receiver for my Heresy IVs. I'm looking at the Marantz NR1200 which I can get for a substantial discount. The reviews seem pretty good except for this specific review when pairing with Heresy IVs. 

the Yamaha  A-S series are exceptional with the Heresy IV , the best option being the Yamaha A-S1200 , but you can also get by with the  Yamaha A-S 801 or  Yamaha A-S -S501 if your budget is  lower .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Since this is a two channel device, I am assuming home theater is not important to you. But if good sound is, why are you even looking at receivers?

What should I be looking at, just amps? I have a Wiim Pro Plus on the way to help with connectivity.

5 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

This model is part of the Marantz budget line. It will give you a lot of connectivity and inputs, but the sound quality is not so good. 

A speaker like the Heresy will reveal any weaknesses in your audio chain. 

If you want streaming capabilities and a good amp in one compact system, you'll have to invest a lot more, like triple tej NR1200 price. The other path is a good amp, and an exteral streamer. 

I have a Wiim Pro Plus on the way to help with connectivity, what would you recommend for an amp?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I think all of those are better choices than a cheap receiver. I would probably go with the Willsenton if it were me.

Thanks for that, even over the PrimaLuna which is more expensive. Can I ask why you think the Willsenton is much better?

I'm not saying it's much better. Since they are both made in China (not saying that's a bad thing) and both use the same output tubes, my guess is they sound more alike than different. I've just never cared for the aesthetics of Prima Luna gear. I like the looks of the Willsenton better and the fact that buying through Amazon gets you a no hassle return policy if you don't like it. With TMR, you will have to pay shipping both ways and a 5% restock fee. That's just my opinion.

37 minutes ago, Cacti said:

What do people think about these amps?

Cayin A-50T MKII - If I can find a 120v version

Rogue Audio Sphinx V3

PrimaLuna EVO 100 Stereo Tube Integrated Amplifier

Willsenton R8 KT88/EL34

NAD C 3050

I have an EVO 400 and love it with my Forte IVs. It pulls me deeper and deeper into the music every time I listen to it. I have listened to it daily for several years now

9 minutes ago, billybob said:

Cool...so tube or solid state.

Where are you located?

I'm not sure haha. I've been told that tubes make the music sound great and are great with Heresy IVs. I'm in the USA.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fido said:

I have an EVO 400 and love it with my Forte IVs. It pulls me deeper and deeper into the music every time I listen to it. I have listened to it daily for several years now

Nice!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cacti said:

What do people think about these amps?

none of these amps rival The Yamaha A-S1200  since it is a proven HIFI amp for the Heresy IV ,with lots of forum members  currently using the amp  with fabulous results  on the Heresy-Forte and Cornwall IV  ,the Heresy IV requires a very low distortion amp ,  with higher damping factor and the highest quality components , the A-S 1200 is basically a vintage Japanese 70's amp with a superb preamp Made in 2024  with the latest parts available , it's on par with the Hegel amps worth 5k$ .

the Heresy IV requires a very low distortion amp

Where the hell did you get that from?

I'd rather have an amp that sounds good than one that measures good. Don't put all your eggs in the low distortion basket

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OO1 said:

none of these amps rival The Yamaha A-S1200  since it is a proven HIFI amp for the Heresy IV ,with lots of forum members  currently using the amp  with fabulous results  on the Heresy-Forte and Cornwall IV  ,the Heresy IV requires a very low distortion amp ,  with higher damping factor and the highest quality components , the A-S 1200 is basically a vintage Japanese 70's amp with a superb preamp Made in 2024  with the latest parts available , it's on par with the Hegel amps worth 5k$ .

Would I be wrong to assume you own a Yamaha as1200? Possibly a Yamaha fanboy.

• Like 1