RF62 in a 19’ x 40’ room enough?

Hi,

I’d like to build for a start a 2.1 system for listening to music mostly in a 19 x 40 feet (65m2) living & open kitchen room. Have a good deal on a pair of RF62’s and want to buy also a sub afterwards. Will the RF62’s be “enough”? I know this is a subjective question, but obviously some speakers could be definetly too small for such a volume. We mostly listen to pop&rock and to electronic music on maximum when kids are not at home and we’re having a party.

thanks

Posted (edited)

New years party was with 2 Yamaha MSR 400 speakers and a Yamaha active sub, that was more than enough. But how do the RF62’s + sub compare with such an active system?

Edited by kgyula

15 hours ago, kgyula said:

New years party was with 2 Yamaha MSR 400 speakers and a Yamaha active sub, that was more than enough. But how do the RF62’s + sub compare with such an active system?

I found the specs for the MSR 400s. There's no mention of how efficient they are, perhaps due to the internal amplification. But they only go down to 50Hz (+/- a very wide 10dB), despite being vented and having a 12" woofer, while the RF-62s reach 35Hz (+/- a very conservative 3dB) and are a very high 97dB/w/m efficient. You won't need a lot of power to piss off the neighbors!

I'd say the Klipsch speakers would outperform the Yamahas and would easily fill your open space architecture. I could see where a subwoofer would be of benefit because of the room(s) volume.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kgyula said:

As mentioned in an earlier response, RF62 with a sub will excel over the MSR 400 PA system. However, the RF 82 would be breathtaking, as would RF7 III.

What the distance between the L and R Speaker?

22 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

As mentioned in an earlier response, RF62 with a sub will excel over the MSR 400 PA system. However, the RF 82 would be breathtaking, as would RF7 III.

What the distance between the L and R Speaker?

3 meters probably

I had a set of RF-62's and I loved them.  One of my more favorite speakers.  They've got plenty of volume and they go decently low.  With a good sub setup and filter, they'll go really loud, cleanly.  If I have to 'downsize' from the La Scalas, I will then regret selling off my RF-62's.  Yeah, there are newer options, but I know what I liked.  

• 2 weeks later...

Update after everything arrived and setup is done. 

It sounds great! There is plenty of sound and the Nubert sub does a great job, so the Rf62’s do not distort even at max volume of the Onkyo TX-NR747.

Listened to pop, rock, techno and I, and also my wife :))), like it very much so there is no backlash on the investment. Regarding power/volume, it’s more than enough also for a house party and to fill the entire room, even the furthest.

I made the mistake to take down the grilles to show the beautiful color of the woofers to the kids and next day my son pushed in and hold the woofer while music was playing. So now one of the woofer is I think broken, on some frequencies it’s vibrating, sizzles (don’t know the correct expression). Does someone know the exact model so I’ll try to buy a replacement one?

6F527604-4532-42C9-8ABF-845C102FCBEB.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kgyula said:

Is part 1000263 also good? I found one much cheaper and closer to me in Europe

From the same site:

DESCRIPTION

Brand New Genuine Klipsch RF62 Series II 6.5″ Woofer #1011968. 8 ohm.

This speaker should also be used to replace part #1000263 from the original RF-62. The original RF-62 woofer has a bucking magnet but this one does not.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, billybob said:

From the same site:

DESCRIPTION

Brand New Genuine Klipsch RF62 Series II 6.5″ Woofer #1011968. 8 ohm.

This speaker should also be used to replace part #1000263 from the original RF-62. The original RF-62 woofer has a bucking magnet but this one does not.

Buy it...it will work!